Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1197   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoeMcPhee (9004) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 29, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2010 Batch 1X02. Bottle was almost impossible to get open without a corkscrew. Deep garnet-brown pour with a bit of lazy off white lace around the glass. The nose is really awesome. A chewy, leathery sweaty nose with a light kiss of acetic character in addition to a fairly intense rich dark fruity character. There is a bit of soft oakiness in addition to the dank fruitiness. Rich and quite intense with a lot of dark, plummy Belgian malt through the middle. Rich, chewy, funkiness on the back of the palate. There is a lot of earthy/leathery tannic cherry/currant skin. This contributes a lovely mouthfeel to the beer. Soft and fruity with a mix of sweet malt, fruit and a lingering tartness. It’s less funky than the batch 04, even with an extra six months on it. Tartness is quite restrained and the fruit comes out more than I recall. Some soft acetic character on the back along with a touch of warming alcohol. Pretty damn terrific stuff. Bottle shared by someone at "Drink for Charity" event at Rattle N Hum. X04. Deep ruddy-garnet beer. Rich tannic aroma. Chewy and fruity with a really lovely funky brightness. Big bright funkiness. Bretty and chewy with a rich fruitiness. Lots of rich leather, dark fruit and a tingly chewiness. The fruit is less obvious in the mouth than in the nose. Tannic and sour and completely delicious. Great stuff that should age beautifully. 8 4 8 3 16

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
travita (4532) - Frisco, Texas, USA - MAY 27, 2009
Bottle thanks to Bman1113vr. The smell is sour, funk, oak, tart, fruits, and barnyard. The look is muddy, reddish color, decent biege colored head. The taste is funk, sour, fruits, tart, and wood.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - MAY 26, 2009
Bottle from Aplusbreaks, sampled at March Houston tasting. Thanks, dude! Pours a deep mahogany with a lil’ ol’ head and an aroma of oaky dark fruits and an old cedar house. Flavor is a rush of sour dark fruits with thin, whispery hints of alcohol. Tingly and lasting mouthfeel. Great, great brew; Bleeng thinks it would benefit from barrel aging, post-barrel aging. Thanks, Austin!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rayg1 (584) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAY 25, 2009
A really rare gem that my buddy Ross shared with me, thanks a lot man I would never have gotten my hands on this otherwise. Pours out a deep brown with a nice tan colored head that was minimal but remained throughout the entire glass. Aroma is pungent of tart and puckering sour funk but has a hint of sweet blackberry that rounds it out. Sour taste that is very nice, tart currants shine here. The sourness is rounded out by a full oak flavor and a hint of sugar. Carbonation is very nice but not too much, leaves the tongue with a slight tingle. Very nice beer, good job to the Russian River guys, you did it again. Thanks again Ross.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
WinoInTraining (109) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - MAY 24, 2009
I don;t know why, but this is the first sour I’ve tried That has just completely blown me away. Constantly evolving as it warmed. Think, strawberry milkshake meets, tart cherries. Expansive on the pallate, ligering. I found myself wanting another bottle after the first was gone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 23, 2009
Pours a ruby brown with a small head that falls and leaves no halo or lacing. Color is very deep. Nose is heavy on sweet cherries, currants, red and stone fruits. Taste is very smooth for a sour. Pretty acidic, but lots of the currant and stone fruit flavors still shine through. Very well balanced with all of the sour components.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (11612) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - MAY 22, 2009
750ml bottle Batch 001x2-pours a Styrofoam light tan head that dissipates and mahogany color. Aroma is tart berries/vinegar, wood, sweet medium malt-brown sugar. Taste is tart berries/vinegar, wood, sweet medium malt-brown sugar, funky yeast. To style very well done. To my taste, nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Tweety (377) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 21, 2009
This one was a little too tart and pungent for me. Very tasty, nonetheless, I was hoping to get a lot more fruit out of it than I did. A little bit disappointing, but quite good nonetheless.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JK (5123) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAY 19, 2009
Batch 001. This is an incredible beer. Full of flavor with a great aroma. Light red color, with an aroma that is full of yeast and acid. Very sour. Delicious, full flavor. Full oak, which lends dryness. Fruit, sugar, cognac, and red wine tannins. It is rare for me to give a beer such a high score for flavor, but this one deserves it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BuckeyeBoy (3852) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 19, 2009
Bottle Pours out a dark amber topped with a off white head. Aroma was nice lots of fruit, berries, and some citrus. Tast was very good. More of the fruit, Berries and apples. Some oak and a nice tart. A tasty treat I got to enjoy 2X. Thanks to Sam and Toby.