Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1256   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Ale with currants added and aged in oak barrels.

When we made the Toronado’s 20th Anniversary Ale, we had no idea that it would turn out to be one of our favorite barrel aged beers we would ever make. With that said, we have always wanted to make a dark barrel aged beer using 100% Cabernet Sauvignon barrels but, we never were inspired. That is, until we blended five different beers to make the Toronado beer, the tobacco character from the the dark malts blended nicely with the furit character that developed in blending. So, with Concescration we set out to make a barrel beer using all Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. No, we are not saying that this is a replica of the T-rooms anniversary beer, after all, a beer like that can never be duplicated, and, there was no fruit added to that beer as there is with this one. All we are saying is that it gave us great inspiration to brew Consecration.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
blklab2007 (2118) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 21, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2011 bottle poured into a snifter has a deep brown red color and a fizzy white head with nice carbonation pooling at the surface. aroma has vinous red wine sourness, oak, dark cherry, currant, and tons of delicious funk. crisp mouth feel with nice prickly carbonation at the side of the tongue. flavor has plenty of sourness, rich red wine character, dark berry, oak, currant, and tobacco. this is perhaps the most dry beer i have tried thus far. acidity is kept in check and the alcohol at 10% is warming but incredibly hidden. truly outstanding!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheEpeeist (3709) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 20, 2009
25.4 oz bottle, batch 0013X. Dark maroon with a tannish haze. Nose is faint currants, mild sour cherry and musty oak. Nice, but subdued. Medium body, more substantial than other RR’s. A delicate sparkle gives way to razor-sharp sourness. Taste begins with sour currants and toffee followed by lemon Sourheads then dry tobacco and red wine. Enticingly sweet with a sour blast.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 19, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2009 (DC Local Gathering, 750ml bottle, Major Thank You to CaptainCougar) - Dark ruby brown, fluffy white head. Huge vinous dark currant aromas ride swells of funked black cherry and peppered oak. Ultra complex sour berry, old wood, and currant flavors balance extremely well on a funky crisp red grape and cheese- like foundation. Medium bodied, medium carbonation, sour fruity finish. This was an absolute showstopper…

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - JUL 19, 2009
By far the best sour ale I’ve ever had, and I don’t even like sours... So this pours a deep mahogany, with a small head that lasted the entire glass. Aroma is funky, a little bit of malt and raisins, almost smells like a red wine. It has a mildly effervescent feel to it, then it turns a bit sweet and immediately turns sour. Really cool flavors. I think this may be the beer that turns me onto sours.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - JUL 15, 2009
On tap at Toronado in San Francisco. Poured a deep garnet red with a tan head. Aroma is currants, rich red berries, and funk. Taste is the closest thing to a red wine I have had. Lots of dark berries, oaky cabernet flavors, currants, sour cherries, with a nice tannic finish that is very smooth and makes you want to take another sip. I think this beer just happened to hit all of my preferences for a sour. It is not over the top or super intense, but for me it was the height of enjoyment. After the first few sips, I was sad at the thought of probably never trying this beer again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hoptagon (239) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 14, 2009
750ml. Cork in cage batch (001X1). Huge pop and lots of wispy vapors with the aroma oozing out from the get go. Has a ruddy red color with a huge fizzy head that quickly fades. The nose is musty with lots of aged oak, some barnyard funk and a bit of black currants. Tartness hits quickly and is followed by notes of sour cherries, currants and wood. Shows dry tannin flavors that remind me of an aged cabernet. Carbonation level is high and it could bed described as effervescent. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and maybe a little soft, but it works perfectly with this style. Goes out with a dry, acidic and tangy note. Another mighty sour from Vinny.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - JUL 12, 2009
On tap @ Toronado: Pour is a dark brownish redish color. Quarter in of white head. Aroma is cherry warheads and alcohol. Taste is smooth and extremely tart. The first sip made my eyebrows quiver, but became easier after a few drinks. I’m not a sour guy, but this one is doable. Solid.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jb43 (1650) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JUL 12, 2009
(on tap at Falling Rock Tap House in Denver). Dark brown color. Small tan head. Sour aroma with light pear. Sour, tart flavor. Avg duration. Thin/slick texture. Acidic finish. Soft carbonation. Spare lacing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (4083) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUL 12, 2009
This was a fine sour though I’m somewhat surprised at just how highly this is rated. It was the first beer I ordered for the evening and I enjoyed the luscious and complex fruitiness. it has a silky texture and an excellent sour edge, but while this is nothing short of excellent, I didn’t think this stood out in the Kingdom of Beer. Just a matter of taste and the moment, I guess. (on tap at the Toronado)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
andersand (529) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JUL 12, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2009 Nice darkish red looking, thick and rich. Mild but rich oak aroma with pleasant sour notes. Very sophisticated. Mouthfeel is thick and rich with huge fruity and rather original flavours, pleasantly sour, complex and suprisingly fat. Hides the alcohol perfectly while leaving you just wanting more.