Russian River Deviation (Bottleworks IX)

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 240   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 205   ABV: 6.83%
In celebration of Bottleworks 9th Anniversary, we are proud to present Deviation - a beer unique in every sense. This remarkable blend combines the oak aged diversity of PHI, Orphan Ale, and Sonambic Ale with 100% Brettanomyces Ale (Sanctification) and is bottle conditioned with additional Brettanomyces. Thanks Vinnie. Your beer is a testament to the art of deviation. 6.83%

BOLTZ7555 (2701) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUN 2, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2011 Tangerine pour with only a whispy eggshell colored head. Aroma fills the nostrils with Granny Smith, lemongrass, brett, barnyard, and freshly blooming flower garden. Flavor is also quite floral, with citrus pith, jolly ranchers, and aged balsamic. Nice creamy mouthfeel for the style. Really enjoyed this one!!! BUMP!!!

MrChopin (2927) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 6, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2011 Bottle thanks to trevor211!
2/6/2010 - So many save great beer for the best moments, whether to celebrate an event or highlight a milestone. I had a real shitty day, so Iím cracking a cellar gem. It was almost a year ago that I had a small glass thanks to the Cleveland crew. I would have given it a 5.0 then. I remember the somewhat rowdy room (Lebron had just hit "the shot") quieting and collecting around the bottle, and the ensuing debate over Cantillon tradition vs. Russian River innovation. I guess this whole waste of a first paragraph is to say that each beer has a story... no need to wait to celebrate another.

This time around, Iím the selfish glutton. Whole bottle. Sorry Pgh crew. Pours fiery grapefruit, white head that doesnít die, bubbly carbonation. I have just sniffed a 4.9 Temptation, best batch of that Iíve ever had, but this nose beats that one. Itís the fruit that makes this special, the fruit I still remember back in Cleveland. The brett and oak just roll off into this fruit combo that stuns: cherry, tangerine, mango... I donít remember the flavor being this good, but again, perfect balance of yeast and fruit with the wood age showing. What really surprises me, though, is the finish, which first reveals this blast of tangerine right after the brett is swallowed, but then begins oscillating with lemon long... so very long this finish is.

In the end, there is nothing about this beer that sticks out. Thatís because everything works here, start to finish. Perfect integration and control. I would have given this 5.0 when hammered in Cleveland. I give it a 5.0 now, enjoying it takes me from sober to buzzed, my day from shitty to special.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Caskalefan (141) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 11, 2008
Simply the most complex, and best sour Ive ever tasted. There were at least seven identifiable fruits, along with the requisite funk, barnyard, and horseblanket, and they were so skillfully interwoven that their esters could be identified singly for fleeting moments, and then they would melt back into a seamless whole. The sour was quite pronounced, yet at the same time, quite elegant. In fact, that elegance is what set it apart for me, and made me long for each successive sip, and for another bottle after the first one had been blissfully consumed.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2009 750ml bottle election style. nice golden orange color, healthy head that creeps out of the bottle, awesome. Smells sour, fruit, mmmm. It tastes excellent, complex sour lemons, cherries, supplication, some funk, hint of wood. This is one of the best sours I have ever tasted, my friend only wanted a taste and I drank the whole bottle, wow! Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 11-05-2008 05:28:53 update 09/19/09 not as good as it was almost a year ago, the complexity was muddled by an overpowering sour pucker.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
xscottypx (104) - Missouri, USA - JUN 12, 2012
poured into a Lost Abbey stemmed glass, served at 46 degrees. pours a deep gold with slight hue of brown. light fluffy white head that leaves very light retention. very light lacing. has that very typical russian river sonambic scent. deep sour flavors combined with a light peach and apricot. a light zest to it. starts out quite sour and then quickly allows the flavors to really emerge. lots of peach and apricot just dominate. light grape and lemon as background fruit. a light oaky and leathery combination then begin to show themselves. a very fruit finish. a bit of oak in the aftertaste. perfect carbonation, really highlights the flavors. a hint of dryness. sourness really tingles the mouth, but for a short time so the flavors are never dulled. this is pure perfection. i am always weary of hype but this is not hype, this is the real deal. Reviewed on: 03-20-2011

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
PhillyCraft (2845) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2012
Bottle. Huge thanks to jeremy for this one. Pours a pumpkin copper, white head and lacing. Aromas are very woody with spicy cedar, sour lemons/peach and lactic acids. The ph1, sanctification, and orphan sonambic are a perfect combo. Dusty basement notes, musky oaks, yeast, bretty leathery goodness. The most balanced and maybe one of the best sours I have tried from America. More refined beatification, with a woody and long lasting tart dry finish. Insanely complex sour ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
illidurit (2050) - Petaluma, USA - JUN 6, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2009 Review #300! On tap at the brewpub for Russian Riverís 4th anniversary. The blackboard describes it as a sour brown ale, but this is much different than an oud bruin. Pours amber in color with a bit of haze. Nice off-white head that leaves some wet wisps of lacing. Aroma is sour and appley, much like a good cider. Vinous tartness and gueuze-like barnyard funk. Flavor starts off with a rush of white wine fruitiness and sharp apple cider, then acutely takes a turn for the sour. Lemon and sour berry melt into a semi-dry woody finish. Great complexity. Mouthfeel is lively and the carbonation really sticks the sourness to your palate. Wonderful beer, yet another sour masterpiece from RR.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
darkguardian (724) - Florida, USA - OCT 18, 2008
200th rate! 22oz bottle courtesy of Oakes and Beershine at the Vero tasting. Poured a bronzed reddish color. No real head. Nose is crazy with hints of lemon citrus, cheesy funk, hay and barnyard notes and some wood. Flavor is peachy and lemony with a rather lightly acidic balance perfect cross of sour and sweet, not mouth pucking sour but its still a wild sour beer. THis is amazingly complex with some vanilla and caramel lingering notes. Definitely one of my favorite beers of all time, if not my all time favorite.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - JUN 16, 2009
Bottle huge thanks to mes for sharing, had at mesís gaff. Alround rating: Got a whole boon gueuze glass of this, yummy! The most gueuze like non-gueuze iv ever had. Tart acidity, Girardain like balance, the pale malt is almost impossible to find but is light and biscuity, theres notes of sweet and sour lemons, hints of mandarin, brett is showing nicely. Perfect carbonation. Absolutly outstanding beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 5, 2009
A Mes rate. Bottle, huge thanks to MJ.
Iíve only had one sip and a little sniff. Already I know this is going to be special. We warmed up for this with a Supplication and it has got me more than ready. Ok, down to business. It certainly looks the part right from the off. A hazy orange gold with a thin but lasting white head and fairly solid lacing when you tip the glass. I really need to check myself here. I could quite happily chug the whole lot in seconds. Iím having to use all my will power. Right, aroma, quickly. Ohhhhh, itís proper. That Russian River sublime barrel madness is there. Stunning fruit too. What really makes it is a hint of no less than perfect acidity. Itís like a vintage Rodenbach or some massive Flemish sour but itís just not over done at all. Equally perfect is the citric sourness. My god this is really really good. I can see big numbers coming here. Fuck the hype train. Iím FULLY onboard with this one. In fact, Iím all over it like a flannel. I donít usually do things back to front with my rates, but Iím going to have to think about palate as I really canít deal with the flavour assault right now. Once again, itís perfect. Iíve said before, only Russian River can do it like this but Iím wrong. This is right up there with the best that Payottenland has to offer. Such an unreal blend of massive juiciness yet stunningly dry at the same time. The carbonation simply could not be better. Itís one of those rare specials that while you drink it, although itís just an incredible event, itís also tinged with sadness because you know the chances are, this will never pass your lips again. Each time I look, there is a little less in the glass. Each sip is savoured just that little bit more. Christ on a sodding bike, the flavour is almost too much for my tiny brain to comprehend. How this can taste like this when it is not blended lambics is beyond me. Ok, it IS a blend but the sum is certainly greater than its already formidable parts. The blend of the juiciest juice and pukery sourness is right up there with the worldís best. This is Girardin territory. Such mind blowing balance, itís all over the place but seamless and harmonious all at once. The flavours are immense. The barrage of citrus is backed up with some astounding sugary plum notes. The barrel notes again, could only be Russian River. The complexity level is through the roof. Wave upon wave of sweet and sour zip around my mouth with astonishing velocity. Similar to the first time I had Supplication, I canít help but be blown away by the length and the way the flavours cling to every surface of my mouth. I really donít want it to end. The finish is crazy. There is almost a spirit hit. I canít quite put my finger on it but itís brilliant. The wood comes back in droves and that hit of sour and funk batters the sides of the tongue and cheeks and I really canít get enough. Thanks so much to Mike for the opportunity to try this. I really mean that, this one really lives up to the hype. Ok, enough drivel. There are three gulps left in my glass. Iíll probably fully indulge myself and make it two big ones. If I had any more left, it could rattle on even more. Sadly I donít. Iím off to crack one off...