overall

RATINGS: 2509   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Haslinger (865) - The World of Beer, Texas, USA - SEP 11, 2008
500 mL bottle thanks to Kegbear. Oh my Lord. This beer smells heavenly. I hope wherever Pliny ended up, that it smells like this. The bottle is awesome with a very funny and simple label. The taste is very hoppy with a bit of piney, floral and just a bit of sweetness, the aftertaste is dry with a beautiful bit of malt coming in. I wish I had this beer readily available. I hope in 2000 years I get a beer named after me that is half this good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zathrus13 (1719) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Pours golden/orange, with a white head. Aroma is pine, grapefruit, sugar and a bit of a floral scent. Flavor is grapefruit, pine, alcohol, and some sugar. Medium body. Thanks to kegbear for this bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Russian River Brewing is neither in Russia nor near a river. At least, not that I know of. But that is rather irrelevant when it comes to their amazingly ability to release dazzling beers of near nirvana perfection time and time again. I haven’t had many of their creations yet, but the ones I have been blessed by were nothing short of bliss. Pliny the Elder is no exception.
My Pliny the Elder poured a rich sunshine orange into my glass. An explosion of fluffy foam topped his wise body, fading slowly into a pillow on top which spread out along the edges for extra coverage. Sweet and fresh wet forestry smells immediately tease and caress my nose. Pine needles, sap, and morning dew. a tinge of citrus in the back, but that crisp piney hop profile I adore so much rules Pliny the Elder’s nose. His body is light and rolls across my tastebuds almost as if it were kissing them. His palate is much like his nose, a perfect blend of sweet pine needles, sap, and wet grass. A bit of bitter lemon in the finish. It is a somber parting as I finish the last quaff of my Pliny the Elder and there is no more to follow.
I’ve never met a kissable beer before, but Pliny the Elder is my top Imperial IPA and highly kissable. The only shame is that I don’t have regular access to him. Like his namesake, Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewing is a timeless work of brewing artistry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBunker (724) - Burbank, Illinois, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Poured orange with a white head. Aroma is of citrus, bitter hops, and floral hints. Taste was fantastic. At first, you are hit by pure bitterness, then the citrusy flavors come out followed by a delicious sweetness of malts. The alcohol is hidden behind all the flavors, making it extremely drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigBang (299) - Indiana, USA - SEP 11, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 12, 2008 Pours an orange color with small frothy head and tremendous lacing. Aroma and flavor is of citrus and hops plus a touch of pine with a mild bitterness. ABV is not very noticeable. Excellent double IPA. On tap at City Beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
douglas88 (6126) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 10, 2008
UPDATED: APR 4, 2010 Bottle generously shared by footbalm, thanks man! Pours a clear golden hue with a tall and thick white head. The aroma is great; tons of sweet citrus hops, a full grapefruit, some sweet fruits, and a background of pine. The flavor was so easygoing and yet so awesome; dominated by a citrus hop flavor, some bitterness getting through but the sweet ripe citrus hop flavors rule the day here. Not overly complex, but very quaffable and excellent. I could drink 20 of these. A nice full body too. Had this again on tap at Toronado a few pints of it actually. So well balanced, smooth and very easygoing. Amazing brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
taalhiker (190) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - SEP 9, 2008
From .5l bottle. Pours clear light golden color. Aroma is filled with tropicals, pine and floral scents. Intense flavor - as expected. Still well balanced considering the 8% ABV. Grapefruit and malt wrap through the finish. Clearly a great brew - can’t wait to get more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Juancho (239) - Georgia, USA - SEP 7, 2008
On draught @ Toronado - well I finally got to try Pliny. So much has been made of it that I probably had higher expectations. Pours copper but with more hints of yellow that I had expected, it is clearly filtered and/or not a live beer... I expected the hazy richness of other substantial beers. It was medium bodied, and slightly lighter than say a Dreadnaught, but wonderfully balanced. Everything seems in it;s place... the hoppiness, however, lingers and lingers.... Great stuff

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 7, 2008
500ml bottle. Bottled on 073008. Pours a light golden color, clear (not bottled conditioned??) with a small but firm soapy white head. Can smell Simcoe hops while I’m pouring this thing. Oh yeah before I forget 500ml bottles are such a good size. Quite underrated I think. Anyways, the beer smells intensely of tropical fruits. A very pleasing hop combo, just the kind I like. Simcoe immediately detectable though without any catty qualities that is can have at times. Resiny, citrus, cantaloupe, melon, orange pulp, grapefuit zest. Though I would consider this bottle quite fresh I would really love to smell this beer the day after it’s been bottled. The combination of hops would be orgasmic if the intensity was just dialed up one notch which I think a super super fresh bottle might achieve. Either way it’s a magnificent aroma. Flavor is similar to the aroma in terms of the hops. Cantaloupe and intense melon stickout, a sticky sweetness from the hops though balanced out by a quite substantial dryness. The beer is quite dry but the fruitiness of the hops counteract that and it lacks astringency. Very clean finish, very dry. I can’t really detect any malt characteristics, everything working here, be it the yeast, body, or the malts is all to aid the hops. Bitterness is present though smooth and not aggressive. Above all this is an intensely drinkable IIPA and one I could see myself drinking several pints of. Certainly towards the top of its class and if this were available here I would buy several bottles a week.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OldMrCrow (1870) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 7, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2010 Bottle. Bottled 8/25/08, sampled fresh on 9/6/08.

Everything they say is true.

Light gold with a beautiful white head and tons of lacing. This is the IIPA to beat all IIPAs, hands down. Beautiful perfumy nose with some peach and hay, leafy and floral and glorious. This is a rare 10 for aroma. Lovely flavor, totally avoiding the too-much-caramel-malt trap, never sticky or sweet, minimally astringent, just hop-juicy. I love it. The palate is a little hot as the beer warms for its 8%, but that’s a minor quibble. Fantastic.

2-month-old bottle: I should have read the label before buying four at the local QFC. It’s already losing it. This one is just a good IPA now. Maybe 4.0, but certainly not 4.4.

Tap: 7/10/09 at Naked City. I’ve heard that this loses something on tap compared to fresh in the bottle. Maybe it does, but it still easily made its way into the mid-fours. The aroma is there, the flavor is there, it drinks like 6%. Splendid.

Tap8/09 at Fiddler’s. What beer is not Pliny’s bitch? Tonight, head to head against the very worthy Port Wipeout (quite similar, more apricot in Wipeout, more herbalness in Pliny), Pliny came through as cleaner and better. Wow.