overall

RATINGS: 2534   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
19Ei8hty (1167) - Washington, USA - SEP 16, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 20, 2009 I have had a few disappointing IPA’s lately and I am glad that for my 500th rating this one lived up to its billing. Huge, floral hop aroma - very flowery and fresh. Looked great as all 500mL fit perfectly into my glass - hazy golden straw body with a big white fluff head. Very bready malt backbone with a very light caramel sweetness. The Hop profile is fantastic - big grapefruit component with underlying pine even a light floral minty piece. Fantastic drink. 2 month old bottle - CAUTION! DO NOT AGE THIS DRINK! A 2 month old bottle nets a 3.8 rating. Like Subway Sandwiches, Drink Fresh!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - SEP 13, 2008
Juicy citrus nose on top of a light golden body. Lots of citrus - tangerines, in the flavor. Tastes freshly squeezed. Medium bodied, with no coarse bitterness or hints of alcohol. A great IPA!

kenb (1102) - Oregon, USA - SEP 13, 2008
17 oz bottle via Liquid SOl. Pours a semi-clear amber with a large white head. Nose is floral and lemon/lime. Taste is....all about the hops! Orange rind, grapefruit, pine, apricot and lime flavors. A bit of perfume in the aftertaste though. Body is medium, carbonation is moderate. This is quite good, but does not quite live up to the hype. Maybe i need something fresher than a 30 day old bottle?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
luttonm (2438) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 13, 2008
Fresh (3weeks old) 0.5L bottle from Uber in Seattle. Starts off sneaky but by the end it is a full fledged, wonderful dipa. I remarked to trevor211 that this was the prototypical dipa as far as I was concerned; textbook, wish all were this good. remarkable smoothness, radical balance with the perfect amount of growing (as the bottle emptied) hop wonderfulness. Wish this were more available in Seattle, especially at the price point ... worth the hype (though I might say Hop 15 or Marahaja are more ’special’)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - SEP 12, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2010 mmmm fresh bright hop aroma though as a double and with the hype I was expecting much more. deep gold, stubborn white fluffy head won’t go away. I can’t decide what I think about this. I definitely like it, but not sure I love it. the first sip was truly magical, bright, and deep, but it loses the edge quickly and finishes solid, tasty, long complex bitterness, but never really double status. Drank two bottles side by side, one 2 weeks old, one 3 months old. The fresher bottle was much more resiny and oily, bright and enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Haslinger (865) - The World of Beer, Texas, USA - SEP 11, 2008
500 mL bottle thanks to Kegbear. Oh my Lord. This beer smells heavenly. I hope wherever Pliny ended up, that it smells like this. The bottle is awesome with a very funny and simple label. The taste is very hoppy with a bit of piney, floral and just a bit of sweetness, the aftertaste is dry with a beautiful bit of malt coming in. I wish I had this beer readily available. I hope in 2000 years I get a beer named after me that is half this good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zathrus13 (1724) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Pours golden/orange, with a white head. Aroma is pine, grapefruit, sugar and a bit of a floral scent. Flavor is grapefruit, pine, alcohol, and some sugar. Medium body. Thanks to kegbear for this bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Russian River Brewing is neither in Russia nor near a river. At least, not that I know of. But that is rather irrelevant when it comes to their amazingly ability to release dazzling beers of near nirvana perfection time and time again. I haven’t had many of their creations yet, but the ones I have been blessed by were nothing short of bliss. Pliny the Elder is no exception.
My Pliny the Elder poured a rich sunshine orange into my glass. An explosion of fluffy foam topped his wise body, fading slowly into a pillow on top which spread out along the edges for extra coverage. Sweet and fresh wet forestry smells immediately tease and caress my nose. Pine needles, sap, and morning dew. a tinge of citrus in the back, but that crisp piney hop profile I adore so much rules Pliny the Elder’s nose. His body is light and rolls across my tastebuds almost as if it were kissing them. His palate is much like his nose, a perfect blend of sweet pine needles, sap, and wet grass. A bit of bitter lemon in the finish. It is a somber parting as I finish the last quaff of my Pliny the Elder and there is no more to follow.
I’ve never met a kissable beer before, but Pliny the Elder is my top Imperial IPA and highly kissable. The only shame is that I don’t have regular access to him. Like his namesake, Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewing is a timeless work of brewing artistry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBunker (725) - Burbank, Illinois, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Poured orange with a white head. Aroma is of citrus, bitter hops, and floral hints. Taste was fantastic. At first, you are hit by pure bitterness, then the citrusy flavors come out followed by a delicious sweetness of malts. The alcohol is hidden behind all the flavors, making it extremely drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigBang (299) - Indiana, USA - SEP 11, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 12, 2008 Pours an orange color with small frothy head and tremendous lacing. Aroma and flavor is of citrus and hops plus a touch of pine with a mild bitterness. ABV is not very noticeable. Excellent double IPA. On tap at City Beer.