overall

RATINGS: 2438   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
riversideAK (5574) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - MAR 5, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2008 There is a total pine and grapefruit aroma coming from this beer. Bitter, bitter, bitter with great pine and citrus and light sweetness. Body was pretty full of hop resin, but was still not too hard to drink. A damn fine IIPA. God I love this stuff. I wish I could get it up in WA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JorisPPattyn (7772) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - MAR 3, 2007
Bit disparate fluffy white head over pale amber beer. Overwhelming grapey, hoppy aroma, hopoils festivity, delicate, yet in force seapine aroma. Less overwhelming hopstaste, oily, again grapey, slightly piney, and fully lupuline. But there is a cornflakes underslung, giving a distinct sweetness which makes it even more like half-dried, bitterish sultanas. Oily , slick; neither watery, neither thick in texture. I had expected much more explosive hops - but then again in this no trace of any metallic let alone quinine bitteness as in some hopmonsters. Thanks to Alan C for bottling and bringing this gem over.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rmussman (1702) - California, USA - MAR 1, 2007
What a beer. A powerhouse Imperial IPA sampled in San Diego at O’Briens. A solid performer with a super strong IPA finish with a enormous amount of hops. Pour was strong with a thick lasting head and a dark brown cloudy appearance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
footy (345) - scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 24, 2007
Rogue Ales, San Francisco 7/4/06. Tap. hazy golden. Nicely balanced citrusytaste with good malt back bone without being overly bitter. Not as refreshing as Lou P Lin 2X but still very good.

undsioux7 (793) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - FEB 19, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2009 On tap at pub. Can’t give specifics, but this was a great Double IPA, with just the right amount of bitterness, aroma, and sweetness. Very drinkable and not cloying sweet like some others. Re-rate. Just the right amount in the aroma, piney, just the perfect amount of bitterness. Very drinkable. I love it

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TURDFERGUSON (3928) - Carrboro, North Carolina, USA - FEB 16, 2007
Maybe its because there is so much hype around the plinys or maybe its because I have a whole growler of this stuff (thanks to Ty5592) but upon first smell and taste of this wonderful elixir I was hooked. Beautiful orange amber pour with small whitish head that quicky fades. Lots of lacing sticking to the side of my snifter. Full on floral smelling hoppy aroma--honeysuckles come to mind, just so incredibly pleasent to smell, with no sign of alcohol in the distance. Flavor is strong hops with great balance of caramel malts. This beer is mellower than most double ipa’s made now, but in a very good way. I like it better. Its very clean and crisp and just a pleasure to drink. I was planning on not opening this growler till my brother in law’s surprise birthday party (its a tasting im hosting) tomorrow. I’m glad I did, now to stop myself from drinking the rest. A million thanks to Tyrone for hooking me up with another awesome brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 12, 2007
1/2 pint at RR - Aroma is dank citrus and floral hops with a lemon twang. Pours hazy gold with a small head and good lacing. Flavor maches aroma but is a bit mellow (What? My tounge must be getting fried at this point) Palate is tart and sticky. Very tasty and I wish I could sit around and take these beers for granted like the locals I was hanging out with.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pineypower (2479) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - FEB 12, 2007
Growler from Capone’s....Pours out a mostly clear light orange color with a small white head, touch of lacing. Aroma is of citrus and pine hops. Taste is complex, yet very well balanced. creamy mouthfeel with hops up front, but a very nice balance. Awesome beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Gadsden, Alabama, USA - FEB 12, 2007
Hand bottled 22oz bottle from kramer17801. Thanks! Great looking stuff. Clear with just the right amount of carbonation. The aroma is heavenly! Big citrus, fruit loops, hints of spice and a light sweetness with just a touch of alcohol. The flavor is everything you might guess from the aroma. Very potent sticky hops that remind me of mango, lemon, citrus peal and oranges. Just delicious. Surprisingly, I thought this was fairly well balanced with malt. Not in a sweet way, just balancing and clean. While the real McCoy was truly a treat, I was glad to see that my homebrew version was at least in the ballpark. I’ll definitely be making that one again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
markgugs (86) - Wood Ridge, New Jersey, USA - FEB 10, 2007
poured from a growler into a snifter glass A: Pours a beautiful, clear orange with an ample, fluffy head that lasts quite some time, leaving a tremendous amount of lacing as I quaff it. S: I already knew how great this beer tasted before I decided to review it, but the aroma doesn’t live up to the flavor IMO. Some nice notes of the grapefruit/pine and maltiness that is to come, but the scents don’t do the beer justice. T: I’m not sure words in the English language have yet to be created to describe the godliness of this beer. An immediate blast of sweet grapefruit hoppiness blasts the tongue, followed by a delicious and tantalizing mixture of additional maltiness, and finishing with a piney bitterness. This beer is perfect. Fact. M: So creamy, so perfectly carbonated, so good. In the words of Frank the Tank, "it’s so good, when it hits your lips." D: Well, hate to penalize it at ALL, but it’s TOO drinkable and at 8% ABV, just one growler is pushing the limits. A superbly dangerous drinker. Highly, highly recommended.