overall

RATINGS: 2599   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 26, 2008
Wow...some nice guy had a growler of Pliny the Elder at Dark Lord Day. Poured amber with a nice white head. Great aroma. Incredibly bitter and very oily aftertaste. Very well done though, I wish I could get it in Illinois.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beershine (5218) - The Sunshine State, Florida, USA - APR 23, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2010 Draught at SD Craft Brewer’s convention. Rich sunflower-golden 22K gorgeous color with not much head but lace in a plastic cup! As bright and fresh a bouquet as can possibly be. (notes of tangerine). The best grain character of any IPA I have had. Close enough to perfection that the smile on my face speaks all--This is Pure Pleasure that healed me right up, this is my new favorite IPA.

bennylava (99) - California, USA - APR 21, 2008
Growler. Golden yellow color with abundant head. Aroma is off the charts with so many components: citrus, floral, grassy/hay. Taste is extremely unique with the malty flavor being overwhelmed with all the hops. Of course, it ends bitter/dry but what a trip to get there. Excellent!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GJF (1316) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - APR 19, 2008
Give me a break! I’m not going to wax poetic over this beer, I will just say drink it now. Drink it again. Love this beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Braudog (5965) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - APR 14, 2008
Draft at the brewpub. Stand up and shout "Amen!" Moderately orange, almost rusty. The aroma is pure gold, rich, citrusy and grapefruity. Definitely a full-up drinker. I do blieve this is a damn perfect IPA ... perfectly citrusy, lightly malty, but exceptionally well put together. Outstanding. (#3403, 4/10/2008)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
africachile (6) - Occidental, California, USA - APR 12, 2008 does not count
I dont tend to enjoy IPAs, so it surprised me when i fell in love with a Double IPA. I had it on tap at the brewery as well. It has this floral aroma and flavor that makes you just not care how bitter it is going down.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ramenen (466) - San Salvador, EL SALVADOR - APR 9, 2008
Drank it on tap at the brewery. Wow, I was in beer heaven for a couple of hours. Wow, pours amber, medium bodied. Very well balanced beer. You think the IBU and hops will overwhelm, but not at all. Each flavor just comes out, its amazing how they do this. Maybe its the extra malt they add. You must go to Santa Rosa and try for yourself!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ironchefscott (357) - portland, Oregon, USA - APR 8, 2008
ok...I rated it super high.....but I think alot of people that have tried it....me before this revelatory experience that I shall share with you....if not served fresh or on dirty lines....it kinda is well OK enough about the OK experiences....lets get on to the on tap experience that I had at the fathers office in Santa Monica super grapefruity aroma...and the taste is the same...not overly bitter at all super balanced with the hops and malt.......wow I can’t say that enough...by far the best DIPA ever....EVER dammit!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TeamTrappist (830) - jericho, New York, USA - APR 2, 2008
My buddy Dave was kind enough to ship me a growler last time he visited the brewery.I love hoppy IPA’s and I absolutely love this one. Poured a dark amber with a small head. Strong pine, citrus, hoppy aroma, with the same taste to follow.Finish was less bitter than I expected, and was so smooth. As you put your glass down, your mind is telling your hand to pick the glass back up. A great beer, and I am very glad I got to try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 31, 2008
On tap. Hazy dark gold with a decent sized head. Nice citrus aroma, flavor was nice and sweet with a good amount of bitterness to back it up. Very nice.