overall

RATINGS: 2363   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2005
Large hop aroma with much the same on the palate. Citrus in there as well. I was extremely pleased with this beer and was lucky to catch it on tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JFGrind (1811) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 20, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2005 Thanks to RB.com I’ve heard the name ’Pliny the Elder’ but knew nothing of the beer or who brewed it. After sampling this Russian River offering I can tell you Pliny is one hell of a 2XIPA. Large hop nose, grapefruit flavor and overalll a well polished glass of hoppy delight.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
spinman (1) - USA - NOV 18, 2005 does not count
Just had this hot off the tapping at the G’ Lodge. Being an ex homebrewer for almost 10 years, I was struck with the rocky head that exploded with hop artoma. Reminded me when I was weighing out 8 ounces of Centennial whole hops for a 1 barrel IPA I had made back in the day. As if the damn beer was made an hour ago! Fresh is not the word for this beer. ABV is big @ 8% , so only the experienced need apply. Graet beer, all the better that it was offered at the tap room obscura.."The Grey Lodge Pub". Spin.

jde123 (761) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - NOV 2, 2005
Wow, definately ranks among the greatest double IPAs around. I had on this draught, pours big and orange, with a mellow purple haze. Aroma is fantastic and only hints at the fullness of the body and flavor. Overall an amazing beer.

auto (163) - California, USA - NOV 1, 2005
GOOD SHIT. apricot fruty nut aeroma very nice. hazy yellow orange colour, but a slightly weak head knocked off one point. flavour exploding from every nook and cranny. best of the russian river beers i tried. love the name too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
y0cola (361) - fremont, California, USA - NOV 1, 2005
thin head. creamy orange color reminds me of an apricot. flavor stings right away. Leaves fruit and bitter floral hops on the tongue. thin palate unfortunately. good bitterness though. aroma is a bit weak

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
euserphriendly (167) - Holland, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 21, 2005
Pours a perfect yellow with just a small head. The hops bite from start to finish. Great brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fatty (363) - Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 20, 2005
Pours hazy golden yellow with a medium off-white head. Strong aroma of hop, grapefruit and orange. Flavor of malt, sweet orange, grain and alcohol finish. Medium smooth palate.

DocLock (7502) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2005
UPDATED: APR 16, 2009 rerate 4/16/09. I’ve had this numerous times on draft now, and every time it is like a media event. That isn’t the point, though. I growler or drink as much of this beer as I can every time I see it, which is more lately but still not enough. if that isn’t a sign that a beer is perfect and deserves to be scored as such, I don’t know what is. To me, this beer has no flaws, and I kick it up a deserved 0.3 to become a perfecto robusto for me. Congrasts PTE, congrats Tomme, and let’s try to keep this one a secret from now on. END RERATE. Wow. A big thanks to Eric for tipping me off that this was at Ortino’s Northside in Zieglerville. The beer was brought in a pint glass, and presented a hazy gold/dark straw color with a one-finger white head. The aroma was dense and multi-layered, blasting my olfactory receptors with notes of heavy citric hops, honeydew, and tangerine. The aroma was amazingly close to Dreadnaught. Amazingly close! The flavor was also very Dreadnaughty, with the big hops, citrus including tangerine and orange zest, and honeydew. The finish was smooth and hefty on the palate, with more emerging fruit as it warmed. The major difference between this and Dreadnaught is that the latter is a bit sweeter and hotter. Otherwise, the two are very close. I loved this one. One of my favorite examples of one of my favorite styles.

TomDecapolis (4394) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - OCT 11, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2007 On tap at Ortinos Northside. Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange with a small off white lacing head. Aroma is of grapefruit, orange, caramel malt and a slight nuttiness. Flavor is amazingly balanced. Great hop and malt balance. Sweet grapefruit, caramel and orange. I love this style and this one is one of the, if not the best.