overall

RATINGS: 747   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.35/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Pliny the Younger was Pliny the Elderís nephew, in the case of this beer, the "Younger" is a triple IPA. Pliny the Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DirtyMartini (194) - Los Angeles, California, USA - APR 15, 2007
draft @ obriens - very pale gold color, very little head. strong pine aroma with a flavor to match. some sweetness but mostly pine and lemon hops. quite bitter finish that coasts your mouth. you can feel the hops just eating the enamel off your teeth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hapjydeuce (990) - Carlsbad, California, USA - APR 14, 2007
UPDATED: APR 22, 2008 On tap at Oíbrians, Liarís Club, and other San Diego County beer havens. An awesome triple IPA that I try and get my hands on whenever released. I like to say that the Elder is better, however it is always a tough comparison because I love them both so damn much. Clear dark golden color, usually with a nice rich and creamy white head and lacing (depending on location and tap). Mouth-watering pine forest aroma! Resiny, thick and malty...just what I look for in this type of beer! Like a sack of danky, sticky weed. Not as crisp compared to the Elder, but this stuff is amazing!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Papsoe (25068) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - APR 14, 2007
(Hand bottle 33 cl) Slightly hazy amber golden with a small, off-white head. sweetish aroma of peaches and pine. Fairly full-bodied with sweetish, malty accents, lots of sweet fruit and then a bitter - but not overly so - finish. 060407

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - APR 14, 2007
I loved this beer the first time I tried it, but didnít rate it. I think it had aged a year. I remember a 4.5ish quality. So I painfully waited around 4 months or more to eagery try it again. i got my hopes up too high. A bit too sharp and young. Small head, OK lacing. Pure cedar, citrus, and strong hop aroma.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 12, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2007 On tap at Liarís Club....deep golden color, little head, lots of grapefruit and a mild hop bite...very aromatic. The high alcohol content makes it silky/velvity smooth rather than itís crisp finishing partner in crime - pliny the elder - which I still prefer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 11, 2007
Handbottled from tap. Hazy pale golden colour with a small off white head. Light malty sweet aroma with hoppy peach and pine notes. Malty, light caramel sweet flavor with hoppy pine notes and a wellbalanced fruity, dry and hoppy finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
faroeviking (10284) - FAROE ISLANDS - APR 10, 2007
UPDATED: APR 11, 2007 Tapped on bottle. Nice amber colour. Aroma of hops, citrus, fruits and pine, which also appear in the flavour though more profound. Great brew indeed!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 9, 2007
Handbottled from tap thanks to Thomas. Amber colour with a white head. Caramel malty, peach, pine, hop aroma and taste. Medium to full body with a very dry hoppy finish. Vell balanced!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
joergen (24774) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - APR 8, 2007
Handbottled from tap, thanks to Thomas for sharing. Clear golden coloured with a white head. Sweet aroma of caramel, hops and pine needles. Sweet flavour of caramel, peaches, hops and pine needels. Hoppy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alohaC (12) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 5, 2007
On tap at the Toronado. After drinking Pliny the Elder too many times to count, I finally came across the much heralded and harder to find Pliny the Younger on tap. Like the Elder, the Younger pours beautifully with a clean, coppery orange and a nice two-finger head. The smell is pungent with citrus/grapefruit hops, but with less of the sweet pine and floral character you sometimes find in the other good IIPAs. Not a bad thing - just different and you know this one is going to hit you big time with the bitter end of the hops. Flavor is dominated by grapefruity bitterness, but kept in check with a biscuity malt. Mouthfeel is medium and fairly smooth for such a big beer. My only real complaint is I find this beer to be a little more astringent and hot with alcohol on the finish than I like. Where the Elder is the epitome of balance for me, I find this one a bit unbalanced. Some like this, but to me it makes this a "have a pint and then Iím done with it" kinda beer. Another excellent effort by Vinnie, the Yoda of IPAs, but Iíd rather hook myself up to an I.V. of the Elder for the night!