overall

RATINGS: 703   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.34   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Pliny the Younger was Pliny the Elderís nephew, in the case of this beer, the "Younger" is a triple IPA. Pliny the Younger is hopped three times more than our standard IPA, and is dry hopped four different times.

ski37 (4) - Colorado, USA - FEB 12, 2012 does not count
First time tasting the Younger...excellent nose, great clean taste..seemed surprisingly balanced for a triple ipa! Great beer!

dougmaher434 (6) - Felton, California, USA - FEB 19, 2012 does not count
One of the first perfect beers I have ever tasted. So balanced in favor of the hops. Yet I canít believe they can get the alcohol content to be hidden. Incredible. Pliny the elder on steroids.

kosko20 (350) - Hopewell Junction, New York, USA - MAR 2, 2012
So this is a beer I had March of 2010. I havenít been on RateBeer much the past two years because of some life changes. Regardless, I thought I had rated this beer, but apparently I hadnít. This beer was phenomenal. I had this along side with Alesmith BA Speedway Stout. My God I was in Heaven. I remember this was floral, smooth, creamy. Just perfect.

colinize (317) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 12, 2012
The most amazing beer I've had so far. Smoother then you'd think but still contains all the great hop flavors and bitterness. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

sammyjabels (4) - - JUN 16, 2012 does not count
Amazing...the aroma of this beer is like stepping into a pine forest, and it tastes like one too! This beer is hard to find for a reason.

Huhzubendah (2399) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 24, 2012
A huge thanks to Matt (drabmuh) for sharing his growler with me! Served in my Russian River pint glass. A: Remarkably clear, beautifully light in color, effervescent, white fluffy head that leaves generous amounts of sticky lacing S: Huge hop aroma with grapefruit, citrus, floral notes. Alcohol virtually non-detectable in the nose. T: This beer is worth all the hype. Wow! Unbelievably smooth. Huge hops, no astringency, the bitterness and sweetness walk a tightrope of perfection. The taste hits you initially with smooth hops, then transitions to a sweet, sticky deliciousness that coats the palate, and finishes with a wonderful bitterness that begs to begin the sequence again. M: Everything is perfect here - carbonation, freshness, this beer is phenomenal. D: At 11%, this beer kicked my ass, and I loved it. I finished three pints, and wouldíve hurt myself even worse if we didnít run out.

prosper0 (14) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 31, 2012
2/28/11 - 8oz pour in to a tulip glass The color was exceptional, a clear shiny copper color with a thin white head that was only about 1 finger or so that dissipated quickly. The aroma was full of citrusy & floral hops. A very intense aroma for a beer, but had the perfect blend of hops in the nose that work very well with each other. Taste was amazing. It was sweeter and maltier than I expected, possibly to better balance out the loads of hops this beer has. Full of grapefruit and sweet like honey. The finish has a nice piney note on the end as well. Mouthfeel was perfect, not too heavy or light, the carbonation was a bit lower than most IPAs, but suited this beer just right. It really brought out the smoothness and balance between the malts & hops on the tongue without the bringing out the bitterness. This is quite possibly the best balanced IPA Iíve had even though itís a TIPA. I love the Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder, this is just one step beyond and much more refined. Excellent beer, well worth the wait, only wish it was more readily available.

dhunter151 (515) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - FEB 5, 2013
Intense hop aroma. Tastes of pine and grapefruit. Not as malty as the Elder which I like. Great beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

thefle (168) - , New Jersey, USA - FEB 10, 2013
One of the two to three best beers I have ever drank in my life. This is a perfect IPA in every imaginable sense of the word. If you find yourself with a chance to drink this you should take advantage early and often.

ANGRYCPA (50) - - FEB 15, 2013
8 oz pour at TBC secret tasting. Amazing, unbelievable are the best words to describe it. Totally smooth, no alcohol burn, grapefruit, pine, delicious. Worth the hype!