overall

RATINGS: 644   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
This Belgian style Strong Dark Ale has a tawny brown color and aromas of banana and spice that dominate the initial bouquet of the beer. Lean malt flavors blend perfectly with fruit driven characteristics created by the classic Belgian yeast which fermented this ale. The alcohol content is deceptively smooth just like its sister beer Damnation. Brewed just once a year for a release in January.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jsquire (3669) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 18, 2006
Murky amber color with a good sized rocky head. Pine hops and dried fruit sweetness in the nose. There is something sour in the background of this beer that I donít like. Light brown sugar, pit fruit, apple and soured orange juice. The sour threw this one off for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - NOV 7, 2006
750, props to gputty! Dark, slightly hazy orange with a film of a tan head. Sweet, spicy fruit nose. Sweet flavor, spicy, plum and toffee with hints of orange. A bit yeasty. Interesting...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
dwyerpg (4755) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 6, 2006
Looks and smells good, I didnít get the bananas. The taste really isnít that heavy. Itís almost a little light and seems overcarbonated. Decent, but not up to par for the day, or for the brewery. Sample 30.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
1FastSTi (3342) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 5, 2006
Well, I was digging through my cellar to find something that was good enough to be rated for #1600. I didnít want to drink something so good that people I normally share beers with would be angry. So, I put those back. I also decided that even though this is a more difficult beer to acquire in Wisconsin since itís Russian River, I recalled that I saw it for sale online. So, screw it, this is #1600. Batch 001. The cork popped out with a loud bang. A carbonation haze slowly crept up out of the bottle. I poured the beer into my glass and it was gorgeous. A nice dark glowing orange body with a tall and lasting fizzy/foamy tan head. The aroma is banana peels, dry soapy hops, lots of yeast, some hints of sweet milk chocolate. The flavor is superseded by the palate as it hits my tongue. A really creamy texture sticks to my tongue. Almost slick. The flavor is extremely yeasty with hints of chocolate, banana, pencil lead and pencil shavings, and black pepper. The pencil flavors really pop out on this one. I guess I can thank scotch for initially making this an apparent flavor in my mind. I recall the Peat Monster that had pencil shavings in the flavor. All in all, too bad I have to drink a 750 of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - NOV 4, 2006
750. pretty dark brown with some reddish hues. aroma is spices, touch of chocolate, caramel, a bit of estery fruit also. Taste is not quite as pronounced as the aroma, dark malts, some tart dark fruit, some metallic notes, with a lightly sour finish. seems a little bit weird, and muddled...hmmmm....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 4, 2006
The thing I like about RRís belgian Beers is that they actBelgian. The aroma here is spicy with mild alcohol notes, mashed dark fruits, such as cherry and plum, nose tingling peppery notes and a sofy yeaty quality that underlies the whole affair. The body is a rich dark brown with hints of red...very masculine tone I wish i could find a lot of wood that color to build something out of....ugh! <P> The head is, like I said Belgian behaving in that it fluffs up easy and statys around a bit....though itís not 100% Belgian...it has some reservations about totally flowing out of the glass. <P> Flavor...wow not so nice as Borat might say if heíd had this. Itís got a lot of tart and spicy notes with some hot alcohola nd a lot of peppery zing, but the fruity notes from the aroma are gone daddy gone. Aggresive yeast? I donít care. I paid money for this and unlike most RR beers this isvery blaaah. Little flavor concnetration and little range.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 1, 2006
750ml: Clear deep orange inside a red tinge with a medium off-white head, plum and lots of dark fruit in the aroma surrounded by rich malts and bananas. starts sweet and ends even more sweet with a long sweet aftertaste and rising sour notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
LyndaNova (532) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 31, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2006 Cold 750ml corked bottle: Pours a clear dark reddish amber color with a moderate foamy light tan head which dissolves and leaves nice lacing. Aroma and flavor include rich malts, cherries, and brown sugar. Alcohol is well blended. Full bodied with good carbonation. Oily texture. Ending is of rich malts with sour notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ratman197 (10678) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - OCT 29, 2006
750 ml bottle[batch 2] poured a clear reddish brown with a large lasting tan head. Aromas of brown sugar, dark fruit and light spice. Palate was medium bodied. Flavors of spice, brown sugar, hints of plum and grape with a lingering lightly sweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sloth (2600) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - OCT 20, 2006
Batch 001: 750 ml bottle. Pours a nice tight beaded surprisingly white head, small in stature with a lovely draping lace. Clear, deep amber colored brew, light ruby red glow. Gorgeous! Nose of spice and dark fruit, raisins, light roast, caramel and a hint of chocolate. Body is med/full, slick on the palate, soft carbonation. Fruity flavors, lightly sweet malts, yeasty spiceyness, over ripe bananna, doughy with just right chocolatey notes and some caramel also. Finish is almost dry, fruity and flavorful. Not overly complex but damn near. Props to tever for this fantastic brew! A replacement for the Drakes BWBB he sent me in a previous trade that i crucified in my rating . I guess he felt guilty? Not necessary but wow, what a bonus!! Thanks so much Tom. No competition, RR over the Drakes by a long shot!! Thanks again!