overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1407   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brown ale aged in Pinot Noir wine barrels for one year with sour cherries, Brettanomyces yeast, and Lactobacillus & Pedicoccus bacteria.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DonMagi (5595) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - MAY 9, 2008
Bottle thanks to wetherell! Aroma is sour, dusty funky yeast, cherry character is subtle and as it warms the oxidisation kicks in and is awsome. Taste is similar, very lambic like, perhaps this woul be perfect if there wasnt so much bitterness(of which there is very little) but the bitterness that is there is slightly falts the finish. But im just being pernicity, its an amazing beer, and probably beer of the month.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cloudskipper (17) - Alameda, California, USA - MAY 9, 2008
My favorite sour beer at the moment. Batch 003. Sour aroma, funky, but slightly sweet as well. Taste is not quite as sour as Beatification but slightly more so than Temptation. Pucker-up at the front, slightly sweet at the finish with the sour cherries. My favorite of the three.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DietPepsican (1533) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - MAY 8, 2008
UPDATED: APR 2, 2009 batch 003. Brown pour with a thin off white head. Aroma was mild cherry and a bit of funk. Flavor had more cherry, lemon, funk. not nearly as acidic as I thought it would be. UPDATE, old score fresh = 3.6. Opened one recently and it had gotten nice and sour, and the lemon had really started coming out. The funk was spot on, not dominating but making itself known. REscored 4/2/09

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Acknud (1081) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - MAY 8, 2008
I keep trying to like sours but I canít do it. This is no exception. VERY tart and front loaded. Subtle cherry finish followed by a mouth pucker.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LinusStick (3014) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2008
Holy crap. A near perfect score for me. Amazing sour and on such a different level than what I was expecting. Strong funky, sour cherry aroma. Pour was a nice medium brown with a one finger off white head. The taste was so full and strong I literally said "holy shit" out loud and I am here by myself. Strong almost lambic like sourness with a lot of funk in the front. Then the sour cherry and acidity kick in and bite the sides of the tongue. Aftertaste is mouth puckering sour and very full. Must get more!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Taverner (1100) - San Ramon, California, USA - MAY 7, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2010 Finally getting used to sours. The aroma is all Brettanomyces. Pours a copperish red with lots of initial head, which recedes quickly. Flavor is sour with a sour apples flavor, with the Brettanomyces yeast permeating the flavor completely. Not as sour as Beatification, mellower than most sours. A good starter sour. BATCH #4: This stuff is amazing. Canít do a vertical on these, so no idea if its better than 4.2 or not.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
doubleo (1432) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 5, 2008
375ml bottle. Pours dark orange with a fizzy white head, some lace. Smells sour, a bit citrusy (lemons), and barnyard funky. Tastes sour and lemony and a bit woody with grapes and funk on the finish. Medium body, vibrant carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
can8ianben (1403) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2008
Wow! Like a punch in the mouth, this one gets you in the back of the jaw. It made us all pucker up. Aroma is very reminenicent of a glass of wine, but the flavour is all about lemons and a syrupy sweet feel. Iím happy to say I tried this one, but Iím not sure how much of it I could actually drink leaving me wondering if I can actually give it a high rating based purly on surprise.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brianprentiss (677) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 4, 2008
just like temptation, this beer is about 10X better on the fourth sip than it is on the first. the sourness is such a surprise at first it take your buds a few seconds to adjust, but then, itís like magic and you donít want it to end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
elcaballo (101) - Beverly Hills, California, USA - MAY 3, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2008 Of the three Russian River Sours I have tasted i think this baby is my favorite. That said I dont think i could drink this often but it is a great change of piece from my standard fair. Pours amber with a pretty solid white head. The sour aroma is immediatley apperent. But the sour flavor is a bit more mellow than the aroma lets on and i think that really helps the complexity of this brew. The fruit comes through subtley for me and perhaps could have been a bit more forward in the taste. But all said i really did enjoy this and am totally pysched to tackle my second bottle when the mood strikes me.