overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1352   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brown ale aged in Pinot Noir wine barrels for one year with sour cherries, Brettanomyces yeast, and Lactobacillus & Pedicoccus bacteria.

beermonk (4) - USA - APR 20, 2007 does not count
One of the top five beers I ever tasted. Complex, but not cloying. The finish seems to go on forever. I get the brown ale, the pinot noir infused cask, the sour cherries, the pineapple scented brett...this is amazing beer. A great food beer - maybe fresh fruit and shrimp kabobs on the grill basted in this beer. Better yet, the cook should be basted in this beer.

nolankowal (931) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2009 Received as a one hell of a bounus from dirtymartini, thanks again man! Hazy reddish-brown pour with a light tan head. Awesome aroma of sour and oak...sour cherries and light caramel malt. The flavor held more sourness, bret, tart cherry, some tannins. Sour throughout the medium body with a nice lively carbonation with a sour/woody/dry finish. Sours, especially RR brews continue to allure me, and this one was especially good. MY favorite sour ale, hands down.

Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - DEC 6, 2007
I made a mistake. Pantanap hooked me up with a bottle of this beer in one trade, so I cancelled a bottle of it I had going on in another trade. Pours a caramel brown pour with a small white head. Nose is full of sour and sweet notes, a bit of funk, apple cider, cherry and other light fruits. maybe a little pear. Flavor-wise it was obviously sour, but a delicous not over the top sour. Apples and pear and cherry a bit of barnyard precense. Notes of wood, oak it seems. Hints of lemon, grass, leather, oh and a bit of sourness. Honestly the best beer I have consumed in a long time, maybe ever. Give me a case. At first I thought, fantastic beer.....4.5 maybe a little higher. But as I sat here and took down a whole bottle it quickly and continuously kept getting better and better. I went into this beer with very mediocre expectations.

wj94 (69) - Virginia, USA - FEB 27, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2008 Rerate 3/16/08 - Iím raising my score to this to a perfect 5, the only one Iíve given so far.....if I could only drink one beer until the end of time, this would be it. Itís so good....once it hits your lips. This is crack in beer form, seriously. I think I could drink this for eternity. Tar cherries, some bretty action, acidic. Light head that quickly dissipates, leading way for the crack binge to begin. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 17, 2008
This beer is, in a word, divine. If you believe sour is at the top of the beer-flavor hierarchy, as I do, than this beer is for you. If you donít believe this, well chances are this beer is still for you. It offers a rich amber color, abundant head, delicious aroma, and even better taste. Aroma is citrus-y, sour, candy-sweet, yet somehow (despite what Iíve already said) balanced and distinctly beer-like. Flavor is distinctly sour, although Iíve certainly had beers sourer. It has a musty, sweet-tart, clove, complex and delicious. Mouthfeel is excellent. This is not a beer that is not easy for most of us to get our hands on. However, if youíve not had it, you should travel, trade, or attend a festival to get it.

gavinatwood (2) - san francisco, California, USA - FEB 22, 2010 does not count
a truly fantastic sour. perfectly balanced with everything it should be. incredible on all levels.

jlanning215 (363) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JAN 26, 2011
This by far my favorite sour. The balance: tart fruit, sweet fruit, wood and that awesome dry finish canít be beat. The color is amazing. Crystal clear. The only beer that poured more beautifully for me was the Isabelle Proximus. This beer is one of the big reason why Russian River is, to me, the best brewery in the US. Perfect Sour. Perfect 5.

rayl101 (163) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - FEB 23, 2011
Bottle courtesy of Largiari. Batch 5. Iíve had aged batches of this, and I always prefer it young. Pours a hazy ruby red with a medium white head that dissipates to a thin layer that sticks around leaving a little lacing in my snifter. Aroma is bright tart cherries with vinegar, and acidic notes. Body is light, but not thin. Flavor is much the same as the aroma. Nice tart cherries up front with a very sharp acidic sour finish. Intensely sour, but not at all harsh. One of my absolute favorites!

gd4evr (13) - Mar Vista, California, USA - APR 23, 2011
If you can find a better sour beer anywhere, please tell me where. Consecration is a very close second but nothing out does this brown beauty. The amazing thing is how consistently good Supplication is. Cantillon eat your heart out.

bhightow01 (44) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 24, 2011
12oz corked & capped bottle This pours an opaque honey color, musty, slightly sweet aroma, with a nice vinuous & somewhat sweet flavor. Finishes smooth & clean. great beer.