Russian River Temptation From the Wood

(RETIRED)

Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.58/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 218   ABV: 7.25%
This entry is for single barrel unblended Temptation.

beastiefan2k (2762) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - APR 7, 2015
@ Bottleworks. For appearance, my glass and beer are provided in the picture. This was a keg from 2009 and not a firkin that mj mentions in his rating. Many thanks to Pruf for telling me about this and allowing me to experience a pretty novel and cool beer. I am trying something a bit different for this rating by addressing some other ratings before me.

>>>muddy brown<<< / >>>Murky yellow /brown<<<
as exemplified by the picture, its not brown in anyway. However, the end of the keg did get brown.

>>>Zero carbonation<<< / >>>no head and no carbonation<<<
well, this was definitely carbonated and had a pretty and strong head.

>>>smells old, musty, dusty, venerable and rare<<<
I definitely agree, smells rare for sure. Also, I can smell some age on it. Its hidden in the wildness of the beer. Apricot skins tartness on nose with herbal coat of Brett (barnyard).

>>>For 5+ years, this is really nice.<<<
I agree, for a beer that is almost 6 years old, its doing nicely. The flavor loses some of the age present in the nose and is a but apparent at the end of the flavor. Otherwise, strong tartness bordering on sourness then a slightly sweet grape. Wild and exciting aspects to the tartness. After that is the light cardboard and an "old brettiness" akin to some old lambics.

Prufrockstar (1384) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 6, 2015
2009 unblended temptation on draft at bottleworks. Hazy orange pour with long lasting frothy white head. Aroma is nice: tart, vinous, oak I guess. Also smells old, musty, dusty, venerable and rare. Taste: there’s this "sour old fruit" taste that I can’t describe better than that (somebody else should chime in so I can make it sound sexy instead of gross). For 5+ years, this is really nice. Woody, sour, funky and musty - you know, the same shit I already said before, but I like to repeat myself. For emphasis. And this is about me and what I like, not the handful of people reading this trying to decide if they want to get a glass (because seriously, would you see this on draft and walk by regardless of what ratings said?). Not overly sour, lots of earthy funky yumminess. Hard to rate this objectively, but for a beer like this it doesn’t really matter I guess. I’m happy with what’s in my glass -- would drink again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 6, 2011
Barrel sample from Vinnie at the brewpub in Feb. ’09. Thanks for this treat. Very much like standard Temptation but without carbonation, of course. The main difference is the individual focus of the particular barrel. In this case, a bright, citrusy tartness with a delicious lightly toasted grain finish. Wonderful clean mouthfeel with incredible brightness. Glad to try this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
AmEricanbrew (6211) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - MAY 20, 2009
@ Bottleworks. Murky yellow /brown with no head and no carbonation. Aroma is sour lemon with moldy wet wood. Muddled flavor is mostly acidic vinegar with sour lemon and stale bready malts. Not good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
3fourths (8493) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAY 18, 2009
Firkin pour @ Bottleworks. Still, muddy brown. Zero carbonation. Nose is wet grains, sweaty pedio and brett-like crackers and horseblanket. Light notes of aged/moldy fruit (peaches, apricots) and some old/stale honey. Body has medium thickness, somewhat oily. Acidity is spritzy at times but mostly stale. Not as excited with the result as I was just to try a single-barrel unblended version of what is a great bottle-conditioned beer.