Sacramento Sac-Squatch Scotch Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 78   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This is one beast of a beer you donít want to mess with. We brew our Sac-Squatch Scotch ale using smoked peat malt to produce an extremely roasty, big bodied, high alcohol ale (7%abv). So tangle with this creature if you must, but donít blame us if you feel a little furry in the morning. When putting hair on your chest just ainít enough.

Flipbrewer's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Flipbrewer (33) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 25, 2004
Bottled Dark brown, almost chestnut colored with mahogany highlights. Poured a small creamy beige head that fell to a thin long lasting layer. Aroma dominated by a peaty, sulfur tinged smokiness layered with sweet malt, fruitiness, and a subtle acidity. The net effect was a bouquet somewhat reminiscent of sweet pickle relish. Flavor started moderately sweet and malty accompanied by an acidity that lasted through to the finish. Black currant-like fruitiness and a subtle woodiness emerged mid-palate. Finish and aftertaste had a dry roasty, almost ashy character along with a pleasant alcohol warmth. Palate was medium bodied with a creamy texture enhanced by a soft carbonation. I enjoyed the complex interplay of this beerís aroma and flavor (though I wasnít too fond of the ashy character in the aftertaste). This would be good to have with food such as smoked ham, lox, BBQ, etc.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
J_man (699) - Tustin, California, USA - SEP 1, 2010
Well, itís my 100th beer rating and I was trying to think of what special beer I wanted to have for the occasion. I thought about old favorites or maybe a new extreme beer, and then I remembered that I had 1 bottle of Sac-Squatch Scotch ale from the now (recently) defunct Sacramento Brewing Company that I luckily purchased before I even knew they were gone. Sac Brewing wasnít my favorite brewery, but Iíve been there a few times and they made excellent beers (as evidenced by the many awards theyíve won). They were one of the first true micro/craft breweries that I discovered with my beer loving friends on our beer trips that we called TOMs (Tour Of Microbreweries) back in the day, and I have fond memories of them and their beers. So for my 100th beer rating, I drink to Sacramento Brewing and all the other great breweries who have come and gone, and Iíll make a wish that someday theyíll return and once again brew their great beers. On to the beer! Pours (into my Sac Brew pint glass) a beautiful clear ruby brown with a foamy but quickly dissipating tan head. Definite (but not heavy) smokiness in the aroma with little sour tinge. Medium to thin bodied but with a light creaminess. Nice roasted malt with a little sweetness and caramel in the background. Not a lot of peat flavor but it adds a little bit of "meat" flavor, just enough to make it interesting (which I actually prefer). Thereís a little bitterness in the end, but this is mainly driven by the malt. Overall, a very nice beer which will be missed by those who have had it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mcox90 (1545) - Wilton, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 8, 2010
12 oz bottle courtesy of my Secret Santa. Pours a muddy dark brown with hints of red. Good sized off white head. Aroma is caramel with a smoky character to it. Medium bodied palate. Somewhat smooth. Flavor is sweet, with caramel and chocolate notes with a smoky peat background. An OK brew, if nothing special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ratman197 (9808) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - NOV 20, 2009
Bomber poured a clear dark reddish brown with a lingering ring of amber foam. Aromas of carmel, molasses, plum, raisin and light peaty smoke. Palate was medium bodied and crisp with a smooth finish. Flavors of carmel, molasses, plum, raisins and light peat with a smooth lingering carmel finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hapjydeuce (939) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 28, 2009
12 oz. bottle, retrieved from the coolers at the Pizza Port Bottle Shop. Pours a clear dark bronze color with an initial medium vanilla head. Fades to white bubbles. Very weak aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg and peat. Flavor is fairly one-dimensional, mostly exhibiting caramel malt, more peat, smoke and a metallic finish. Body is thin, and the palate is lacking character. Finishes very easy though, and its a cinch to drink. Worth a try.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwyerpg (4566) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 27, 2009
Nice rich smoky peaty aroma, but hardly any head. Wow, a lot of caramel in this, a good malt and hop mixture, a bit smoky and overall quite tasty. A bit thin finish at first, but then I get some whiskey in the after after-taste. I liked this thoroughly

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mbgrayson (534) - Anaconda, Montana, USA - JUL 10, 2009
Pours with a nice tan head. Very tasty, malty sweet, with hints of roasted chocolate. Smooth and drinkable. I liked it...thumbs up.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
fonefan (35066) - VestJylland, DENMARK - JUN 10, 2009
Bottle 12fl.oz.
Clear medium to dark brown color with a average, frothy, good lacing, mostly lasting, beige head. Aroma is moderate to heavy malty, roasted, green beans water, wood, berry acidic notes, light to moderate yeasty. Flavor is moderate sweet and light to moderate bitter with a average duration. Body is medium, texture is oily to watery, carbonation is soft. [20090321]

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ungstrup (29332) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - JUN 7, 2009
Draft. A deep red beer with a rim of tan head. The aroma is sweet malty combined with notes of roasted malt and caramel. The flavor is very sweet with notes of caramel and malt as well as lighter notes of whiskey, leading to a sweet finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JHunter (676) - British Columbia, CANADA - APR 19, 2009
pours a dark reddish colour with a light head that had a nice lacing . very light taste acl.and a bit roast and a light watered down on the palate

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
HighWine (952) - Whalezbro, Illinois, USA - APR 12, 2009
Ruby red ale with thin white head. Mildlly sweet fruit aroma. Flavor is bland, a little roast and a little alcohol. Itís been years since I had this and now I remember why. No peat, not malt, just a watery brew that looks nice in the glass.