overall

RATINGS: 284   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Important: let this beer warm to at least 50° before enjoying. This beer is black with some ruby highlights. The nose is full of pumpkin pie spices and some alcohol. There are notes of nutmeg, caraway and vanilla. The taste starts with chocolate malt with a hint of spice and rolls into a warm spicy alcohol taste which has the effect of creating the balance that usually comes from the hop bitter. There is some hop bitter on the finish, but not much. Overall, this beer finishes relatively dry for such a big beer. As it warms, the spices move forward in the taste and the chocolate moves to the finish. The pumpkin provides a pleasant undertone and a nice mouthfeel. The spices will probably fade some over time; they mellowed considerably while still in the fermenter.

Originally brewed as Divine Reserve #9.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SudsMcDuff (6051) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - DEC 3, 2009
thanks to Deanna for providing me a bottle while i was ...indisposed. Pours with a low brown fizzy head. Aroma right of is tar and black pumpkin spices. I just want to buy a farm for it and let the bugger run around and make macaroni art. quite a firm bold brew, yet has some mellow qualities. Nice use of spices and alcohol. i’m a big fan of the show! will age wonderfully. warming and easy to drink for such a high octane stout. A good DR release!... in 10-01-09. bottled 11-12-09. got out 12-01-09. drank 12-03-09.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
petematte46 (330) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 3, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2009 Very complex nose of vanilla, nutmeg, cocoa, and other winter spices. Taste is much of the same. Small fading lacing with an equally small head. Still a bit hot, but that’s my kind of beer. Should age really well. I’m not from Texas originally, so I’m not giving this beer a high score because It’s a local. It’s getting a high score because it’s fantastic.

ansermadide (1526) - Kyle, Texas, USA - DEC 3, 2009
What a loud head!  Medium brown head with a fastly falling, slippery lacing.  Dark brown, practically black color with mohagany hues.  Looks thin.  Tiny bubbles bursting at the surface. Aroma of pumpkin spice, nutmeg, possibly cinnamon, maybe clove. Spiced fo sho! No hiding that!  Flavor is, no doubt, of a stout, but I wouldn’t guess an imperial initially (although after 12oz you can tell).  Spice is in your face with a near-puckery experience of clove.  This really is a number!  Pumpkin is hidden somewhat, but wow... The spices are fantastic!  I wish I came up with this recipe...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fratto (2700) - Arlington, Texas, USA - DEC 2, 2009
On tap at the Fort Worth Gingerman. Black pour with some rosy edges and a creamy white head. Aroma is cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin, malts, and roasted nuts. Very thick and spicy. Toast, pumpkin, cinnamon, alcohol, and spices. At 11%, it’s really warming, but the alcohol presence is just right and not overbearing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrewingFan (251) - Texas, USA - DEC 2, 2009
Aroma of pumpkin spice, molasses, alcohol, vanilla, and cough syrup. Pours jet black with a nice brown head on top, lot darker than I would have thought. Full body, sticky texture that fills the mouth with fizzyness and the stomach with that nice wintery warmness. Three very distinct stages to this beer. Sweet malty goodness in the beginning, lays over to some very strong spices with moderate bitterness, than it strikes the back of the tongue hard with some bitterness even sour, the finish leaving an almost astringent, alcohol residue around the mouth. Loses some points for the finish, but I didn’t pay $15 for just another beer, this one doesn’t disappoint. Being a homebrewer, I know that 1-2 months and this beer will smooth out to something closer to a 5 (I will re-rate). Hell of a job Saint Arnold!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
legion242 (2289) - Richardson, Texas, USA - DEC 2, 2009
Yep, that is right, I am giving this one as close to perfect as I have come across in a while. This is after just one bottle, so if I see that it changes, I will alter accordingly. Drank at a perfect 52*~55*. Poured deep dark and nose of chocolate and spice and pumpkin. Very, very flavorful and rich. No heat from the alcohol at all. Yet very warming, I do believe that drinking this at the right temp is really, really important.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ttutony (719) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2009
Deep black color in the glass. Incredibly complex nose with vanilla, nutmeg, and other spices that remind me of the smell of gingerbread cookies or pumpkin pie. The palate is rich, full-bodied, and has a nice array of spices.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - DEC 1, 2009
I wanted and tried to like this. Honest I did. Was I excited about a pumpkin beer? No. Did I think they might be able to alter that perception? Yes. Is this a terrible beer? No. Rich and dark and sweet and a bit chocolaty .... but then the spice is just ALWAYS THERE. At first I felt it was more subtle and hidden under the alcohol and density and rich flavors, but I felt it growing and GROWING until it was about all I could taste. Not that it is actually that strong, but just because it was something I enjoyed less and less upon every sip until i just couldn’t take it any more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ilovedarkbeer (2363) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 1, 2009
Zero expectations going into this. Having experienced quite a few top pumpkin ales recently I can confidently say this is a total home run. Pours a dark mahogany color with a orangish light brown head. Nose smells of nutmeg cinnamon booze pumpkin Ginger ash dark chocolate burnt cookies and syrup. Taste is dark chocolate, spices, booze, pumpkin pie, and liquer and cola. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated And the finish lasts extremely long. Awesome. Perfect for my palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
thirdeye11 (5644) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 1, 2009
( 12oz bottle) pours moderately thick black, nice dark brown head, and decent lacing. Nose of cola, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and alcohol. Taste of bakers chocolate, pumpkin mash, cinnamon and nutmeg, and a warming alcohol on the finish. Highly carbonated for this style, dances on the tongue. This should age quite well, a great pumpkin stout!