overall
Tourpes-Leuze, Belgium
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 2188   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Saison Dupont is a classic Belgian farmhouse ale. This is a beautifully balanced, complex beer that has a refreshing fruitiness and long, dry finish. It is bottled unfiltered so it may be cloudy or have a slight sediment but this is normal and perfectly natural.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - MAR 21, 2005
Bottled. Murky yellow with a large white head. The aroma of skunked hops filled the room as I poured it. There is a slight bready and malt aroma when I hold the glass to my nose bbut itís overwelmingly skunky. Fizzy mouthfeel. Malt and yeast flavors. Notes of lemon and even a little spice. Actually tastes alright as long as you donít inhale while drinking. I hope to re-rate soon.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
ericnixon (738) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 20, 2005
Man o man, if this is a "classic Belgian farmhouse ale," I need to stay the hell away from farmhouses when Iím in Belgium next month. Cloudy yellow color with a foamy thick head. Very dry mouthfeel, almost overly so. The flavor? Apart from the obvious citrusy-ness, I donít know if "ass" can be a proper descriptor, but I passed it around the table at the bar I was having this and my fellow RateBeerians all used the same word to describe it. It took me a while to choke it down (I wasnít letting $7 go to waste), but geez, my girlfriendís PBR never looked so delish before.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
highlandlad (1413) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - MAR 19, 2005
Fantastic summer drinking - a genuine summer ale with some real weight. Thank the beer Gods for the Belgians. Poured an unfiltered cloudy lemon colour, with a lasting pillowy head. The nose is fresh, fruity and yeasty. Remarkable palate - light and fizzy on the tongue but dry and forceful in the finish. Some initial caramel malt alongside tart citric characters. Very drinkable for its 6.5% abv. A personal favourite. (Bottle)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
doubletriple (52) - Illinois, USA - MAR 17, 2005
An incredible beer, soft, creamy, smells amazing, goes down so smooth, each sip is nirvana, gotta be one of the worldís great beers. Looks great too!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cornfield (5460) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - MAR 17, 2005
A hazy straw pour with a lofty, rocky head and fresh, light citric (lemon, mainly) scents... this is a fine saison. Itís got a base of light, toffee-like malts, a fresh grassiness, a lemony tartness, and just the right amount of barnyard mustiness. Alcohol tickles the tongue on the long, dry finish. I can see spending a night with this brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 15, 2005
Pours murky yellow with a huge egg-white looking head. Smells grassy, yeasty, and maybe a little skunky. No skunk in the flavor though. Very carbonated and refreshing. Sourness up front and some bitterness in the finish. Slightly citrusy and light grassy/hoppy in flavor. I like this one. If not for the slight amount of skunk aroma, this would be fantastic!

Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 12, 2005
I never know what to expect when trying a new style. This one was a positive experience. Pouring slowly could not prevent a huge, rocky head from forming and staying around. Colour is a pale, cloudy, yellow with lots of fiz going on. Having trouble pegging the aroma. Taste is tart, banana, citrus and yeasty. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Garrat (1255) - Suffolk, ENGLAND - MAR 4, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2008 From A Bottle.Golden yellow in colour,aroma is of sour fruit with some wood i think it was oak, taste was really hard to pin down for me,it changed alot from start to finish, I got crab apple,beechwood, various spices plus many others,a sour and dry finish.This is like a first date, Itís fun and interesting to start with and the more time you spend with it,the more is revealed. It was a great experience,I must try this again and others alike.

stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - FEB 26, 2005
Whoa. I brewed a clone of this and side by side they are very similar. A grand style, strong enough to keep you interested and light enough to fool you in to drinking too much.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
Krausen (102) - USA - FEB 25, 2005
I am so torn on this bottle...The flavor is nice, body great but the green glass leads to such a skunky aroma! I really wish I could find it on tap or go to belgium to taste it. Nice, crisp body with a slight fruit aroma and flavor. The skunk is overwhelming and is destroying my enjoyment of this beer.