Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 1247   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.56/5   EST. CALORIES: 122   ABV: 4.05%
It took 2 years of brewing, tasting and testing to come up with the final recipe for Sam Adams Light. We focused on brewing a flavorful, high quality beer with a light-bodied taste and fewer calories. Sam Adams Light is a unique beer, itís not a lighter version of our Boston Lager. Sam Adams Light is the only light beer that uses no adjuncts and a traditional brewing process to ensure a balance of flavor and light-bodied taste. No other domestic light beer uses only the four classic ingredients of beer: pure water, lager yeast, Noble hops and barley malt. The quality ingredients that make up Sam Adams Light include two-row malt and some of the most expensive hops in the world, Spalt Spalter Noble hops. At 128 calories, Sam Adams Light features a clean finish and no aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
ElGaucho (2329) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 26, 2002
Firstly, Iím surprised at how many ratings have already been posted for Sam Adams Light a relatively short time after its release. Secondly, itís obvious most of the raters have fallen victim to the advertising, and are not able to separate their ad-formulated preconceptions and make an unbiased evaluation based on what the beer is...a light beer. Sure, the ads made me think I would be drinking a beer with as much delectable flavor as the original Sam Adams. So, my initial impression was one of disappointment. However, once I came to grips with the reality that light beers are tasteless for a reason (you canít have your light and flavor too), I began to evaluate SAL as a Light. And as such, it is the best light beer I have ever had. It has more flavor and, with its amber color, is more visually appealing, than perhaps any other light beer on the planet. Move over Amstel!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - OCT 25, 2002
I got some of this for free, plus a koozie from the cool Sam Adams Austin rep, Kim. I think I gave her my ratebeer card at some point, too. Okay, let me preface this rating by saying that I will probably never find a light beer that I like with the possible exception of Stone Levitation. This is drinkable, it tastes kind of like three parts apple juice to two parts baby food. Wouldnít go out of my way to buy it, but I have a feeling that this might help convert budcoorsmiller light drinkers, and if it does, I like its presence! Long live Sam Adams.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
SlamminScott (40) - USA - OCT 24, 2002
Good, but nothing special. Advertising has blown it way out of proportion...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jaseonem99 (19) - USA - OCT 18, 2002
good lawnmower beer

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 16, 2002
Great aroma. Very fizzy, which is a drawback. Somewhat watery. Some slight taste. Not bad. This is not as good as Saranac Light, and has the same number of calories.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 15, 2002
This is probably the best American Light available at this time. Flavor is surprisingly malty and a bit bitter.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 14, 2002
Pizza crust flavor without anything interesting at all going on here. Sucks, rather.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2679) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2005 Most of the time my festival ratings are pretty close to more controlled rating situations, with full sized samples. Not this time - what was previously rated 0.9 with awful rotten vegetable notes is actually far better than that: Imagine my surprise when I found this to be rather clean and well balanced, with a modest spicy hop character, and rather drinkable. Lightish amber with a full bubbly head. A nice lawnmower beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
FunkDaMan (38) - New Mexico, USA - OCT 13, 2002
yes itís a light beer, but sam adams sold it as the light beer that would change the world. devoid of any flavor. At least now thereís a beer for rich kids to drink, lookout bud light!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Radek Kliber (6825) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - OCT 11, 2002
BEER no 550 ...It is pretty hard to find here in Toronto. Light pale golden color, average head but no the strongest. Aroma sweet carb. Highly watery ; this is natural for American light. High on gas, very weak hopy end.