overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 1242   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.55   EST. CALORIES: 122   ABV: 4.05%
It took 2 years of brewing, tasting and testing to come up with the final recipe for Sam Adams Light. We focused on brewing a flavorful, high quality beer with a light-bodied taste and fewer calories. Sam Adams Light is a unique beer, itís not a lighter version of our Boston Lager. Sam Adams Light is the only light beer that uses no adjuncts and a traditional brewing process to ensure a balance of flavor and light-bodied taste. No other domestic light beer uses only the four classic ingredients of beer: pure water, lager yeast, Noble hops and barley malt. The quality ingredients that make up Sam Adams Light include two-row malt and some of the most expensive hops in the world, Spalt Spalter Noble hops. At 128 calories, Sam Adams Light features a clean finish and no aftertaste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 28, 2002
So glad I got this as a free sample from a vendor, and didnt have to pay for it. I really dont like light beers, but if i had to have one, this might be my choice. Its the usual yellow, fizzy, over-carbonated, rather bland concoction , but it still tastes better than a Coors Light, or a Bud Light. I just hope I never become a light beer drinker, but if you are, then this might be a good choice.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
Aubrey (3489) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 27, 2002
Macros have made many feckless attempts to emulate micros over the years; I suppose itís time a micro emulated a macro? While I donít completely understand the logic here, Iím all for cutting into macrosí demographic. I just hope this isnít a trend that other micros will follow. Itís a step back, in a sense. Anyway, hereís what I thought: Very lively head with a rich, golden-amber color. Very unappealing nose is reminiscent of wet, rusty nails. Starts with a smooth mouthfeel; finishes overly carbonated and watery. Extremely hopless, but it does have some worthy malt flavors to speak of in the aftertaste, relatively speaking, of course. I suppose I was expecting (or hoping) for more from Boston Beer Co. Not a very impressive beer at all. Although, I might still pick it over a Lite or a Bud Light, if thatís all I had to choose from.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - SEP 27, 2002
Only a step up from the usual crap. The Boston Lager is better. There was the tiniest hint of malt and hops in this, teasing me. Quite dry and bodiless. I guess thatís the whole point of a "Light" though.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 26, 2002
Not a good beer. The regular sam adams doesnít taste good, so why would this. I have nothing else to say.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
chunknuts (51) - Watertown, New York, USA - SEP 22, 2002
this beer is terrible it tastes exactly like the lager. it took me over 10 mins to get one of those puppies down and that is about 8 or 9 mins longer than avg.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Suttree (5543) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 18, 2002
Its the best light beer Iíve ever had, which is kind of like being the worldís tallest midget. Not horible by any stretch, but certainly not worth the slight reduction in calories. Decent Hop nose, some hops at the start, but it seems to disappear in my mouth. Almost no body at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - SEP 16, 2002
Okay... so itís 20% lighter in calories. Big deal. It also misses the taste and robust character of the original. I wonít be buying more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
legion242 (2334) - Richardson, Texas, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Surprisingly assertive color for a Light beer- nice amber hue. Head was decent. Nose smelled of inviting mild hops. Say what you will, this has got to be the finest "Light" beer on the market. They did not skimp on the flavors and I think they did a damn fine job. Will I seek it out and order it? Not likely, but itís a great Light beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Well it is light, at least in body. The color seems to be exactly the same as regular Sam. The hops are hard to detect. It is drinkable, but not overly flavorful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
hopscotch (10081) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 5, 2002
Best American Light Beer. Dark golden in color and sparklingly clear, this beerís carbonation is lively on the tongue and fizzy and crisp in the finish. The flavor is a bit thin, but the beer has a nice, well-balanced hope and malt flavor. Most importantly, itís not rice beer like most other American Lights and American Standards. I like it and will order it again... if I ever go on a low cal diet.