Samuel Adams 1790 Root Beer Brew

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 281   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.44/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
The intensity of this unfiltered brew is immediately evident with spicy, herbal notes of sassafras, wintergreen and licorice. These are balanced with the sweetness of caramelized sugar, molasses, and vanilla.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2740) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUN 24, 2006
Interesting beer - basically Iím approaching it like alot of spiced beers, but with the uncommon contributions of sassafras and wintergreen. Both come through very apparently, especially in the nose, but you can taste them too. A licoricey aroma is initially pretty obvious but fades in favor of the wintergreen/sassafras. Also, a barest hint of vanilla comes though in the nose, and it works because most beers with vanilla that Iíve had were gross. This rivals Anchorís spiced Xmas beer in terms of a nice balance of herbal flavors and dark caramelized/earthy malts and a velvety soft mouthfeel. The finish is herbal and slighly medicinal. Iíd have to say I like it, but perhaps I might like it more in January, rather than late June! Cloudy copper color with some tight lacing but otherwise quick head.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
twindadplus2 (662) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 24, 2006
Hazy brown color with a small light brown head that fades fast. Aroma is anise, sassafrass and wintergreen. Flavor is smokey molasses, caramel and a bit of brown sugar. Finish is an herbal peppery kick. Not a favorite by a longshot but very unique and worth trying for the history of it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BigBen2120 (688) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 22, 2006
Smells like a non-alcoholic root beer. Very thin tan head with reddish-amber body. Tastes very weak with a bittersweet aftertaste. Some honey I think, as well as herbal... I should say Iím not a big fan of regular rootbeer, and that may affect my oppinion, but I wouldnít have this again. Points for originality though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - JUN 22, 2006
bottled. Where to start?... well the positve here is the smell of this fucker, and maybe originality... THE END. Maybe a little more is needed to prevent me from drinking this again. Starts out very medicinal & herbal, but all of this gets very muddled. I have the feeling tons of extracts and syrups were used, though I could be off. Half-way through was the end for me, just TOO MUCH GOING ON, IN TOO MANY DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 21, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2007 Pours hazy amber with red highlights. What a strong aroma of licorice, with some notes of sassafras and mint. This really smells like Nyquil. Then comes the ever so weird flavor. It tastes like black licorice, then transitions to a liquid smoke and molasses finish. As far as my personal tastes go, these flavors are not harmoneous. I applaud Samuel Adams for researching this and giving me history lesson on colonial beers. I donít regret trying this, and its well crafted and unique. Problem is that I personally hate these flavors together. This is so bad, Iíd rather drink beer made from a Mr Beer kit purchased from Sky Mall. If hell had a brewpub, this would be the flagship beer. Blech!!!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 21, 2006
Pours brown with a white head. Smells of root beer, molasses and sassafras. Tastes of heavy sassafras and molasses. Not a whole lot going on here. Weird orangey aftertaste with splashes of pepper.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2006
12oz bottle pours a transparent amber color with a healthy tan head that stayed pretty well and laced some. Aromas of vanilla, molasses, licorice, and sassafras. Flavor contains all of the notes found in the aroma along with some caramel, and a candy sweetness and a touch of wintergreen. Palate is rather thin and soda-like. Unlike the previous rater I found this one interesting and unique. Definitely not one of the better beers Iíve ever tried but I appreciate itís unique qualities..

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
ross (2137) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 20, 2006
This is an absolute drain pour. Terrible, so bad that I let someone try it and they didnt even drink it, they just spit it in the sink. Smells like rotten nyquil. Harsh mint flavor that does not mesh well at all with the liquorice flavor here. Pretty terrible, I drank 3 sips, and dumped it. So far the 4 pack of patoits bull shit or whatever it is hasnt impressed me in the least. A waste of 10 dollars. I wouldnt recommend this one to be drank at a goat fucking contest.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JUN 19, 2006
A hazy, orangey amber color with a red-tinted, cream colored, thin head. Intense licorice and root beer aromas with vanilla and menthol. Wow, that is an oddball. Points for originality but not much more. This made me feel like I just brushed my teeth with the chalkiness of the toothepaste and some white pepper included. This would pair magnificently with an evening toothbrushing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pineypower (3026) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - JUN 17, 2006
Pours out a somewhat clear brownish color with a nice head. Aroma was very nice and of licorice, vanilla and some other sweet spices. Taste was not as good as the aroma with notes of vanilla molasses and some root beer like flavor. Nice experiment, but I wouldnít opt for more than one of these