Samuel Adams 375 Colonial Ale

(RETIRED)
Samuel Adams 375 Colonial Ale
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 16   MEAN: 3.19/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Brewed to commemorate Boston's 375th Anniversary.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 20, 2005
On tap. Dark brown color with mild white head. Sugary aroma, mostly of molasses and waffles. Flavor is heavy on both of those as well, with the molasses prominent, raisin bread as well. Minimal hop presence, and I detected hints of detergent as well. After several tastings this is defintely unique, though too sweet overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
OldGrowth (2755) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - NOV 18, 2005
Tap @ Sunset Grille. Ok nose, sweet. Malty. Gummy, vanilla, molasses, brown sugar. Clean orangy brown color, small to no head. Sweet flavors. Like aroma with a wood/bark flavor. Reminds me of sipping some wort. Medium body, lite creamy mouthfeel, sweet clean finish. Tasty enough for a lower abv. Didnít make me want more though...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - NOV 3, 2005
Tap @ NEBF. Pours a reddish color with a small white head. Nose is kinda sugary, some honey like notes, and a bit of cherry. taste is fizzy and carbonated, light notes of molasses and caramel and some dark fruits.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 19, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2006 [tap @ Bukowskiís 10/19/05] Pours a dark reddish amber, with a small head that quickly diminishes to a lacy ring around the edge of the glass. Immediately, I noticed the thick, oily mouthfeel and high carbonation- this really seems to stick to the tongue and teeth. Aroma is sweet, lots of molasses/brown sugar flavor.. plus a little hops. Tastes quite nutty - lots of nice, toasty malts. This is pretty well balanced, except for the serious carbonation.. I dig this more than most of Sam Adamsí offerings. This seems to have less of the írustyí overtones than their usual brews.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jimmycyo (13) - USA - OCT 19, 2005
on tap at BU Pub, 10/18/05. nice aroma. Smoky molasses complex hoppy aftertaste. Eventhough itís not a lager tastes to me a lot like the Boston Lager except sweeter b/c of the molasses and a bit smokier. I didnít find the carbonation to be too high but it is definitely present. A very drinkable beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 15, 2005
On tap at Redbones, 10/6/05. Orange-honey-amber colored body with a very small head, not terribly well-retained. Head is off-white in color and whispy. There is some spotty lacing created as it recedes. Large, rapidly rising bubbles in the liquid signal, not-surprisingly, the heavy amount of carbonation to come. Dosent seem very unfiltered to me.

Surprisingly (I was suprised anyways) low aroma strength. Digging my head in to the glass, I come away with some warm wood-like notes, molasses I guess, and a bit of dates and candied cherries. Perhaps a little almond-vanilla liqueur-like effect as well. Too bad itís not stronger, but they choose to carbonate the hell out of it, so itís their funeral. Flavor is molasses/caramel, berry skins, dates, cherries, figs; that sort of thing. A slight bit of chewiness from the sugar, but very passing. Before I even note the flavor, upon sipping, Iím greeted by heavy carbonation. Fizzy, sharp and obtrusive. The more it warms, the more the fruits come forth, lots of cherry blossom notes, vanilla, sweet cream and dates. Has brief moments that remind me much of the new batch of Díextra. A light sourness on the end, finishing highly carbonated, even after I try to vigorously swirl the glass to get some of the carbonation out. Not terribly watery though. Kind of seems like a dressed up amber ale to me, which I suppose is what it is, ultimately. Anyways, Iím glad I live in this day and age and not back when this stuff was the norm.