overall

RATINGS: 400   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A dark Belgian-style stout with notes of spice, coffee, chocolate & oak The 13th Hour Is The Witching Hour and a time when strange brews can occur With 13 ingredients, we combine the roasted chocolate and coffee notes of a stout with the complex spicy character of a Belgian-style ale aged in oak for a dark, robust, and bewitching brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
nuplastikk (4565) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 21, 2014
750ml wacky non-sleek bottle. Black brown body. Brutal aroma, sweet and past its prime. The oak just adds an oily slickness to the whole mess of a beer. Not unlike a milk stout in its sweet sugary forwardness, but with the neutered SA Belgian yeast, and some coffee and spices. Not unbearably bad, but pretty shabby. Oily specialty malt oaky residues. Not worthy of the premium price. Disappointing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Koskela (290) - Marysville, California, USA - JUN 17, 2014
I get choc oak and a typical Belgian yeast aroma with this clear deep red ish brown color and a cream brown head. A tart flavor hits my young at first followed by slight sweetness of chocolate and maybe some oak. The body is a medium body with decent carb. There is a bitterness and choc flavor with the alcohol feel in the end. Not bad though I donít know what kind of brew I would truly classify it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
COMRADEJOSH (294) - Ft Hood, Texas, USA - JUN 11, 2014
Not very strong aroma to me but what I do get is grape like. Tastes of fruit but I donít get very much of what I consider stout flavors of toasted malt and chocolate tones. I taste more fruit and sugar tones like a Belgian Abbey enjoyable but not like a stout except slightly on the aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
David46 (10) - St Matthews, Kentucky, USA - JUN 8, 2014
I had a chance to sample this wonderful stout at a beer festival last weekend. I had not tried this series of big bottle Samuel Adams beers, so I was very pleasantly surprised. I will add more to the rating info when I have a chance for a larger portion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kevinator (972) - The Colony, Texas, USA - JUN 2, 2014
This gets points for uniqueness but is my least favorite of their Barrel Room Collection. Sour and Belgian yeast aromas with a hint of roasted malts. Deep brown with a red tint on the edges. Not as dark as expected. Lighter mouthfeel with lower carbonation but with a decent head. Oak and tart fruit flavors hit first followed by roasted chocolate and a Belgian spice finish. Complex but not enough to "wow" me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Inbreak (2172) - Loddefjord, NORWAY - MAY 20, 2014
17.05.2014, 0,75l bottle @ home:
Nice creamy mediumlasting head. Aroma is slightly sweet fruity, bubblegum, yeast, banana, dried fruits, grass, hay, almond essence, flowers, dark malts, alcohol. Taste is slightly harsh sour-ish grassy, yeast, harsh grass, alcohol, almond essence, oak, dried fruits, banana, flowers, dark malts. Medium bitterness, harsh mouthfeel. Meh!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kidmartinek (3715) - austin, Texas, USA - MAY 18, 2014
This is a black beer with a fizzy tan head on the pour that changes to a foamy head with brown syrup and holds. The aroma is very sweet like it was aged in a wine barrel. The flavor is sweet fruit and alcohol which dominates any malty or roasted character of a stout. A background thread of chocolate runs through the whole thing. Pretty bad cold but pretty good closer to 60 deg F. Very smooth for its strength. Rating reflects warmer temperature.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jb (2225) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 16, 2014
bottle in trade with Ron. Dark, clear, orange highlights, thick head, nice full retention. A bit of Belgian yeast noted right away, sour, cherries, a bit of cocoa and coffee along with typical Belgian spices. Palate starts smooth and creamy, a bit sharp then, and the flavors come in, the same ones from the nose. Fairly complex. Finishes dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ben4321 (4015) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAY 6, 2014
Location: Bottle purchased at the Tasting Room in MA back in the fall, 5/6/14, Bottle #3242

Aroma: The nose of this is heavy dark fruit, smells quite sweet, chocolate, and wood/oak
Appearance:It pours a dark brown color, with a fizzy beige head and streaky lace
Flavor: Tastes rather sweet too, dark fruit, cherry, some chocolate, spice, and a mild bitterness
Palate: The body is medium, with a pretty fizzy carbonation, and a tingly, spiced finish
Overall Impression: For some reason I found this beer hard to process. Iím not entirely sure how I felt about it, nor am I sure exactly what kind of beer this is. I would almost call it a quad stout? That doesnít really make sense, but itís the flavor/feel that Iím getting from this beer. Sam Adams has some great bottles for these barrel room beers too. Showing off that biggest "micro" money. Anyway, I guess I just have to give this beer a mixed review, because I donít know how I feel. Iíll score it here...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jdb288 (532) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - MAY 5, 2014
Fresh bottle (bottle share). Pours black with not much head. Aroma is chocolate, faint coffee. Taste is interesting...the oak-aging doesnít hit for me very much. I get some spiciness from the belgian yeast and the chocolate/coffee notes. Polarizing in the tasting group. Not bad in my opinion but nothing to write home about.