overall

RATINGS: 378   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A dark Belgian-style stout with notes of spice, coffee, chocolate & oak The 13th Hour Is The Witching Hour and a time when strange brews can occur With 13 ingredients, we combine the roasted chocolate and coffee notes of a stout with the complex spicy character of a Belgian-style ale aged in oak for a dark, robust, and bewitching brew.

keanex's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
keanex (1289) - Atco, New Jersey, USA - NOV 13, 2012
No bottling information.
Appearance: The body is pitch black with mahogany through the edges, the head is thick and fluffy on the pour but settles quickly to a tan coating and ring.
Aroma: Nowhere did the description mention any sourness, so Iím a bit taken back here. Iím picking up mostly a sour cherry, slightly medicinal aroma and hints of vinegar, nothing else. It smells good, but itís not what I was expecting.
Taste: Again almost no stout notes, just a cherry medicinal slightly sour taste, maybe a hint of cocoa, and a slight funk on the finish. Where is the cocoa, coffee, oak, or spice in the description? I enjoy this to a degree, but I feel very misled.
Palate: Thick, slightly syrupy, with fizzy carbonation.
Overall: Like I said in the taste section this is incredibly misleading, nowhere does this indicate that this is going to be sour or heavy on the fruits. I was expecting something entirely different. This is okay, but Iím taking away points for Sam Adams not being more direct in itís description.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
zvikar (2808) - Ramat Gan, ISRAEL - APR 16, 2014
Bottle sample at a tasting at the Beer & Beyond shop. Thanks avrashi. Pours brown with a huge beige head, aroma of brett, chocolate, cherry, wood, flavor is bretty with chocolate, cherry, wood, light acidity, medium bodied.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ROBC3366 (360) - north reading, Massachusetts, USA - APR 5, 2014
Bottle. Very active cloudy bright yellow with a thin white bubbly head. Aroma is grass, lemon, wheat, spice, and orange peel. The taste a follows suit and adds more lemon zest, white wine notes, and wheat malts at first. The mouthfeel is bright and clean with high carb. Full bodied at first, middle is refreshing and crisp, the finish comes back strong with a bit of a sticky syrup feel. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HighlanderOne (958) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - APR 5, 2014
Poured from big bottle. I smell malt, smoke and cola. Stout black with coarse head. Lotsa flavored here, Iím getting malt, licorice, coffee, dry cocoa, oak and, oddly enough, sangria. Hmmm - just got a nosebleed - what is in this stuff ;). Cocoa notes are more prevalent as it warms. Has porter-ish feel to it. A strange brew, one I should try again in the future.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
QuezXLV (395) - Virginia, USA - APR 1, 2014
Light and a bit spicy. Dark body an thin white suds. A bit of alcohol in the taste. Aftertaste a but bitter. - Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MattMal88 (8) - - MAR 28, 2014 does not count
After reading a few ratings talking about a sour note and infected beer im not sure if mine was or not. It smelled slight chocolate, dark fruit, slight alcohol. Starts off spices and dark fruits with slight chocolate bitterness then finishes with a sour note. I like sour so I was fine with this but I wasnít expecting this from a stout. Overall I liked this beer Iíve just never experienced a sour stout before but its not a bad twist on it in my book.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
fitwitchik (173) - USA - MAR 26, 2014
This was a second pouring for me with the first bottle being infected. Maybe the initial taste soured me with this brew but the second brew did taste better but wasnít impressed. I like Belguim brews a lot as well as stout but somehow this brew showed the lesser of the two. Initiallly a nice head easily flattened out very quickly. Quite sour is the aroma. Didnít grab the barnyard flavor of a Belgium or the sweet fruitiness of a stout. No alcohol here which is actually a good thing. Flavor was confusing. Got sour. SOUR. Never thought a stout to be sour... Dark fruit there but not enough to make this doable. Actually poured the last 1/3 of this brew out. Just not what I would want to drink on a regular basis. Sorry Jim I like you so much but this brew didnít make full circle for me...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
cernjoh (41) - Ohio, USA - MAR 26, 2014
Where to start. I purchased a bottle based on the recommendation of a coworker. When opening the bottle the cork popped with a strong force striking my ceiling and thrusting to the floor. The beer foamed as it poured into my glass producing 2/3 more head than liquid. Head was tan and the beer was a dark clear brown allowing some light to pass through it. The aroma was like that of a wet cat. I did taste it and it was horribly sour and seemed infected. Bottle 1 ... drain pour. Day 2 I figured lets try again. Purchased 2nd bottle from different store. Opened bottle cork popping but not as forceful of bottle 1. Poured into glass color same as 1st bottle but head less intense. Initial aroma was chocolate with belgian notes. Taste had some chocolate but more typical belgian flavors. Fairly sour taste. Palate was a bit thin with above average carbonation. First impressions were not favorable but as it warmed and I drank more it improved picking up banana and other fruit flavors. Flavor was best at 57 degrees F. Expected a stout got a belgian. Bottle says " A Dark Belgian Style Stout with Notes of Spice, Coffee, Chocolate, & Oak. I picked up only the spice and chocolate. Worth the try I guess but not going to buy bottle 3.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
terrybail (508) - London, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 23, 2014
3 Pack from the LCBO with Samuel Adams (Barrel Room Collection) New World Tripel Samuel Adams (Barrel Room Collection) Tetravis and the Samuel Adams (Barrel Room Collection) Thirteenth Hour Stout I was expecting more from these for the $40 price for the 3 but having said that I probably had too many beers the day i sampled these:) And they were all pretty descent beers

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hfmejias (618) - Dover, Delaware, USA - MAR 16, 2014
Bottle. Poured almost black brown, with a thick tan head (about 2 fingers) that dissipates quickly but leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of malts, spices and dark fruit. Taste is sweet and spicy; malts, light notes of coffee and chocolate, maybe a bit watery (I wasnít expecting that), alcohol well hiden. Nice and enjoyable, not bad...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
brigg (486) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 14, 2014
(bottle) Black body; large, disappearing brown head, light lace. Sweet, fruity, brett aroma, some chocolate. Medium body, creamy, but leaves the mouth sticky. Sweet, strong acidity, dark fruit, moderate spice; not much coffee and chocolate, but a tiny bit, though the coffee comes through more in the aftertaste. I like the taste, but grow tired of it rather quickly.