overall

RATINGS: 1715   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Samuel Adams® Boston Ale was first brewed to celebrate the opening of our Boston Brewery. Like Samuel Adams Boston Lager®, it was an old family recipe that was rescued by Jim Koch from his father’s attic. Samuel Adams® Boston Ale, a Stock Ale, has a complex, caramel malt character balanced with distinct spicy and herbal hop notes. Our proprietary ale yeast imparts a variety of fruit and ester notes in both the nose and flavor which are indicative of the style. Stock Ale, one of the few classic beer styles to have originated in the United States, has a strong New England heritage. The style draws its name from the cool "stock cellars" in which it was aged. This technique imparted a smoothness and body which became the hallmark of this style. Keeping with the Stock Ale style, Samuel Adams® Boston Ale is fermented at cooler almost lager like temperatures and conditioned much longer than most ales. It also is Krausened and dry hopped.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
collegiatebrew (22) - Defreestville, New York, USA - NOV 12, 2002

jaymobrown (1723) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Copper orange color with a big head that disappears and leaves some faint traces on the sides. A slightly caramel nose mixed with faint hops. The taste has an odd nutty bitter flavor. At first I scoffed, but it grew on me. While not greatly complex or thick, there is enough flavor here for it to get by. A decent ale for house guests or the next get together.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Amber hue.Whitish head is frothy and clean. Roasty toasted malt aroma, tangyness in the background. Caramel and toffe-ish notes, medium bodied and a lingering bitter finish with malts flowing all the way through. I forgot how much I like this brew. Its not extraordinary, but its definately impressive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bbrock81 (311) - Le Mars, Iowa, USA - OCT 31, 2002
UPDATED: APR 2, 2005 I’ve had 2 more sixes of this and it’s been great each time. The flavors are balanced well, and this is VERY smooth for an ale. I love this beer, possibly my favorite domestic. Well I recently found some other micros here in Ames (hard to find a lot of variety here) and I like some beers better but not too many. The rating has slipped in comparison to new beers I’ve found but this is still a wonderful ale in my book. This beer seems to be going way downhill. After having not tasted it for over a year, I bought a sixer and it’s much worse than I remember. Instead of the fruity, spicy ale tastes, now it tastes like a lousy adjunt-heavy macro. It’s hard to believe how far Sam has slipped over the past several years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Had a great spicy aroma, but the taste was almost non-existent. Short finish, weak body. Not bad, but definitely not great.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hoorayforbeer (105) - Denton, Texas, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Has some nice malt/hops flavors and goes well with the typical beer foods. I like it a bit more than their lager, too.

freekyp (1568) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Much more tasty than the Sam Adams lager. Good ’spicy’ flavor. Great with a char-grilled burger.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - OCT 27, 2002
Not bad... nice hoppy, floral aroma, creamy, balanced malt and hops... fruity, moderate bitterness... pretty standard stuff, yet very good. Not so sure about "spicy"...

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 26, 2002
I was slightly confused by this beer. It was smarter than I am. My initial thoughts were of Eastern European lagers. However, as things went on, I began to enjoy it a bit more. I’m still not a huge fan, but the malts are complemented by a fairly nice bite of spice and hop bitterness. Not exceptional, but a beer that certainly fooled me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
PorterPounder (6038) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 25, 2002
Nutty aroma, good thick pour with plenty of lace. Just enough fruitiness and malt flavor to make it an ale. Good, all around full bodied ale - great for a macro-micro