RATINGS: 1747   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Samuel Adams® Boston Ale was first brewed to celebrate the opening of our Boston Brewery. Like Samuel Adams Boston Lager®, it was an old family recipe that was rescued by Jim Koch from his father’s attic. Samuel Adams® Boston Ale, a Stock Ale, has a complex, caramel malt character balanced with distinct spicy and herbal hop notes. Our proprietary ale yeast imparts a variety of fruit and ester notes in both the nose and flavor which are indicative of the style. Stock Ale, one of the few classic beer styles to have originated in the United States, has a strong New England heritage. The style draws its name from the cool "stock cellars" in which it was aged. This technique imparted a smoothness and body which became the hallmark of this style. Keeping with the Stock Ale style, Samuel Adams® Boston Ale is fermented at cooler almost lager like temperatures and conditioned much longer than most ales. It also is Krausened and dry hopped.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 4, 2003
This is a good all around no nonsense beer. It's smooth and easy to drink. Nothing special, but it's readily available and it's a decent brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 4, 2003
I expected more from this beer, but it still did not let me down. I notice that this is a beer that is much better of tap than from the bottle. Somewhat hoppy and smooth to drink, but I prefer others for an Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
koatis (50) - Maryland, USA - MAR 1, 2003
This is perhaps the best offering by the Boston Beer Company. A bit heavier than your average American ale. Creamy and slightly hoppy. A unique and fairly memorable ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
goz (358) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 27, 2003
On tap the the Pic in Tewksbury. Pours clear amber, with a decent sized white head, long lasting, but no lacing. Aroma is malty and sweet, mostly hinting of caramel. Flavor is intenselt caramel, maybe overly sweet. No hops to speak of. Pretty thin mouthfeel also.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 26, 2003
I had this on tap at the Piccadilly Pub in Sturbridge. Has a nice amber color with little carbonation and sweet malty smell. Taste is mildly malted and finishes with a refreshing bitterness. Overall this is a pretty good amber ale and is similar to the Uno amber, but better.
Earlier Rating: 10/28/2002 Total Score: 1.8
It is too Bass-ish for me. For some reason these seemingly popular beers just don't do anything for me. Well I guess thats why there is a variety...
Earlier Rating: 9/16/2002 Total Score: 2.6
Has a nice amber color with a good bit of carbonation. Taste is of hops with roasted malt and finishes moderately bitter. Overall this did not impress me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
VAYankee (346) - Virginia, USA - FEB 15, 2003
A solid ale by Sam Adams. A smooth, slightly creamy ale with a light aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
WabashMan (1024) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 10, 2003
A decent ale, and better than some other sam adams products. A drinkable and available brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 29, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 13, 2007 Funny thing - the day after Xmas I was in CT with the family and at lunch at a restaurant in West Hartford I sampled a local microbrew. Later, I looked for the beer to rate it but couldn’t find it (and didn’t recall the exact name, so I couldn’t add it). I forgot about that brew until tonight, when I had the Uno Amber, which looks, smells and tastes exactly like that alleged micro from CT. Anyway, this had an amber body, tight medium white head, and a bready and slightly hoppy nose. Well balanced bready malts and bitter hops in the flavor; nothing spectacular, but I had three with dinner.
Earlier Rating: 2/19/2002 Total Score: 3.1
The first micro that I ever sampled, about a decade ago. Returning to it now, I’m less impressed. I like the Boston Lager a lot more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JAN 20, 2003
This is another wonderful creation from Sam Adams. An exteremely full body and light aftertaste. I still prefer the Lager though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 19, 2003
(Best by 4/03) (Cincinnati Brewery) In typical Sam Adams fashion, the beer looks marvelous in the glass. The nose is slightly floral and spicy. The palate is cleaner than most S.A. beers. The brewer has done a good job at making this beer not scream pasteurization, which is a trademark of S.A., bottled beers. However, I do notice some off flavors that are restrained. My final analysis is a beer that is well balanced and easily quaffable, but is not very distinct.