RATINGS: 4382   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Louipa (121) - USA - MAY 9, 2005
I’m not into it. But its better than bud, miller, coors. its alright if you like lagers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bpboland (25) - Niagara Falls, New York, USA - MAY 7, 2005
I like this beer a lot. There isn’t anything special about it, but I don’t get sick of it easily. My favorite thing about it is the balance; both the hops and malt are good and strong, but neither overpowers the other.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
osmg95 (44) - Ohio, USA - MAY 7, 2005
Not a big favorate of mine. I don’t like the malt/hops balance here. I like a nice hop flavor but this just doesn’t do it for me. I’ll pass on this one everytime (unless I’m completely out of beer)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ALLOVATE (2911) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - MAY 6, 2005
After downing a row of stock standard, macro-brewed Pale Lagers, I was just about to give up before I decided on one more. Poured into a Pilsner glass, instant relief came as the short soapy off-white head settled atop the brilliantly clear amber body. Generous toffee and burnt sugar nose, with an inkling of citric, fruity esters. Aroma follows into the mouth with burnt caramelised sugars upfront, and in the back giving a light level of malt driven astringency, a balance of citric hops, sweet malt and a little breaded yeastiness across the lightweight palate. On the downside, an unpleasant hint of butterscotch marred its mouth feel for me (I think it was just my sample). Not what I expected, but better. A decent quaffer!!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Newbie (25) - Denver, North Carolina, USA - MAY 5, 2005
It has a strong hops aroma. Amber appearance. A little bitterness. You might as well have a Bud and save some cash.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hawkshadow (107) - Rural Retreat, Virginia, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Aroma is strong hops, grassy, hay. Pours dark yellow completely clear with a small white, mostly diminishing head. Flavor starts sweet and hoppy. Finishes sweet with bitter aftertaste. I drink this when the selection is limited, it is very widely available. It is much more pleasing then most macros. I would like this more without the overpowering hops, could be much more balanced. I think they are bowing to the masses that think more hops is more better. Oh well, better than most supermarket varieties.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
neocon (34) - Gold Canyon, Arizona, USA - MAY 1, 2005
Nice Lager. Light Golden color with white bubly head. Very smooth beer. Catching a sweetness maybe from citrus, a touch of carmel and a hop appearance. If your unsure it’s an easy compromise.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2006 Above average lager. Pours nicely, with a fair, creamy head. Balanced malt and hops. Finishes smooth, if just a bit malty. Finishes a bit dry with just about the right level of hopping. Definiately the "fall-back" beer when everything else in the bar is from AB. Though it doesn’t excel at anything in particular, I’m rating this with a tilt because it is above average in most respects. --- *edit* Re-rate: There are many exceptional beers in this world; Excessively hopped, but delicious IPAs and American Strong ales... Delicious English ESBs and ales... Fabulous Germen Hefeweizen.... Absolutely enlightening Beligan Trappist Ales - nearly perfect in most every way... Bold and beautiful Imperial Stouts. The poor old macro lager is pretty underappreciated because it’s so easy for brewers to slack off and make a fizzy, yellow beer. I have to say that, over the years, Boston Beer Company has pushed their way into grocery stores and bars everywhere. They have "raised the bar" for casual beer drinkers and have provided a lager that is a step above the norm. It may not be perfect, but it’s a very good beer. As it has become more popular, I’ve noticed that the price has dropped to a point at which it’s often just marginally more expensive than Bud (by about 50 cents), yet the quality of this brew is above and beyond the Bud lager. While it’s not perfect, I love the fact that I can find this beer to be a quality beer that is becoming available in most bars that I go to. Cheers! Thanks for a good beer! Re-rated (on a tilt) from a 3.1 to a 3.5.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - APR 29, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2005 Medium copper color, fairly decent head and obvious active carbonation... good aroma. The taste for this beer is strong and full bodied. It is quite hoppy, especially for a lager, and the taste pleasing lingers on for several moments after sipping. This is clearly the best beer that I have had in Panama (I get to try a Bass Ale soon, too). I give this beer a 7.5 out of 10. Perhaps it deserves more, but I need to go back to the states to determine that. I did have to pay 1.70 USD for it at a premium liquor store, but it was worth it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeT (76) - Hollis, New Hampshire, USA - APR 28, 2005
Nice amber color, hoppy aroma and a sweet caramel flavor make this one of my favorite beers by Sam. Thick offwhite head and stick to the glass foam that always beckons for another.