overall

RATINGS: 4230   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mmmstout22 (24) - USA - APR 5, 2004
Very good. Complex hoppy flavor. Has a sweet background and is very enjoyable to drink. From this point on, when I'm looking for a beer that won't break the bank when I want to drink more than a 6 pack, this is the one I'm buyin.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 1, 2004
Pours a light orange brown (amber?) with an inch thick head. Medium floral hop aroma with some subtle malt in the background. A bit of hops in the taste and malts to balance it out. Crap! This reads like the P.R. blab at the top of the page. Oh well it's true.A good ole' everyday drinkin' beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2004
12 oz bottle. Sampled after a Yuengling, and this was absolutely yummy. Nice hop-barley malt balance, notes of caramel. A bit sweet for a lager (but in a good way), and great mouth feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (8530) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 31, 2004
I judge all other lagers in comparison to this one. Market saturation has nothing to do with a beer's rating. Sam Adams' beers have taken off because they are great, that's the bottom line. Jim Koch makes great beers, never skimps on ingredients, and even got in trouble with Opie and Anthony, which shows he is a normal guy, not an arrogant prick like Augie Busch, or a phony outdoorsman geek like Pete Coors. I taste different overtones every time I drink this beer, from black pepper to mead to chicken noodle soup to parsley. I don't know how they do it, but this may be the most complex beer of all time. Very smooth, very rich, very satisfying. My only complaint is that I get filled up after 6 or 7. In my opinion, this is one of the best lagers in the world, and to my knowledge, is still the only American beer imported INTO Germany. Cheers!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 30, 2004
My first legal beer. Has a strong taste, as if to say you were drinking a real beer here. Smooth, evidence of itself as a well-formulated brew of some largesse. Caramelized in flavor, but only slightly. A heavy round for repetitive drinking.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 28, 2004
Golden with a long lasting solid white head. Fresh hops aroma. This is actually one of the first american beers I ever tried. It made the common condemnation of the american beers as being watery crap quite a conundrum. Starts out with a non dememo malt (but it is there) which is then hammered into place with a good handful of hops. If only australian beer makers would make lagers like this, surely people couldn't find it offensive or anything, this is an agreeable all bases covered lager IMHO.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
possumjc (149) - Charleston - Mt Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - MAR 27, 2004
12 oz bottle. This beer holds a place in my heart. It is the first 'microbrew' that I ever tried. Whilst friends chugged down crappy light beers, my palate started to develop because of Sam Adams. Brewer/Patriot. I have not had a Boston Lager in a while. This beer is a real nice looking amber color. The head is white and thin. The flavor is really smooth with a good mix of hops and malt flavors. While I have other beers I like more, Boston Lager still is nice to come back to.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jk11183 (2) - USA - MAR 26, 2004 does not count
This definatly is a favorite of mine. Even when I am opening up to more kinds of different microbreweries, Sam still holds a top seat.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Capnhaddock (6) - USA - MAR 25, 2004 does not count
Nice amber/dark gold color, sweet aroma and fairly sweet taste, turning to a clean bitter finish. A very tasty beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zen (41) - Long Beach, California, USA - MAR 24, 2004
Pours a nice amber, with golden hues when held up to the light. Nice head that quickly resolves to its' signature lace. Smells of hops, malt and just a hint of barley. Tastes of oily hops, minerals with just of tinge of caramel and cinnamon in the middle. A little too perky on the mouthfeel for me, but the hop finish almost forgives the slight over carbonation. This is almost a pale ale in lager clothes. Very nice bitter finish though, leaves me always wanting more. Very nice fallback, and a good "bring me" when attending parties and not wanting to seclude less sophisticated beer-drinkers. This brew has opened many doors, and has stayed pretty consistent over the years. I have a special place for this brew and can't fault it for what it is, a solid American lager. Much like the band Nirvana, that laid the groundwork for so many bands to follow, this is a modern-day classic.