overall

RATINGS: 4243   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%

zoidberg (25) - USA - APR 6, 2004
Slightly hoppy nose, great head. Crisp, full flavor, a bit hoppy, not at all watered-down. Definitely one of my favorite "everyday beers." At the same price as brews such as Heineken and other mediocre imports, you can't go wrong.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DUbrew (49) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 5, 2004
Good. I consider this a standard when you dont want to break the bank on something special. Better than any American Standard.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigBilly (127) - London W3 6PF, ENGLAND - APR 5, 2004
355ml brown bottle.Fruit salad and ice cream nose with some hops.Nice white head which lasted to the finish.Nice lacing. Golden brown colour.Tangerine flavour,again with hops. Crisp bitter finish.I've just discovered this beer and now buy it by the six-pack.Its more a pale ale than a lager but who cares what its called. For the same price as a 330ml bottle of Stella or Becks this is brilliant value and desrves a 16 rating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mmmstout22 (24) - USA - APR 5, 2004
Very good. Complex hoppy flavor. Has a sweet background and is very enjoyable to drink. From this point on, when I'm looking for a beer that won't break the bank when I want to drink more than a 6 pack, this is the one I'm buyin.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 1, 2004
Pours a light orange brown (amber?) with an inch thick head. Medium floral hop aroma with some subtle malt in the background. A bit of hops in the taste and malts to balance it out. Crap! This reads like the P.R. blab at the top of the page. Oh well it's true.A good ole' everyday drinkin' beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2004
12 oz bottle. Sampled after a Yuengling, and this was absolutely yummy. Nice hop-barley malt balance, notes of caramel. A bit sweet for a lager (but in a good way), and great mouth feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (8602) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 31, 2004
I judge all other lagers in comparison to this one. Market saturation has nothing to do with a beer's rating. Sam Adams' beers have taken off because they are great, that's the bottom line. Jim Koch makes great beers, never skimps on ingredients, and even got in trouble with Opie and Anthony, which shows he is a normal guy, not an arrogant prick like Augie Busch, or a phony outdoorsman geek like Pete Coors. I taste different overtones every time I drink this beer, from black pepper to mead to chicken noodle soup to parsley. I don't know how they do it, but this may be the most complex beer of all time. Very smooth, very rich, very satisfying. My only complaint is that I get filled up after 6 or 7. In my opinion, this is one of the best lagers in the world, and to my knowledge, is still the only American beer imported INTO Germany. Cheers!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 30, 2004
My first legal beer. Has a strong taste, as if to say you were drinking a real beer here. Smooth, evidence of itself as a well-formulated brew of some largesse. Caramelized in flavor, but only slightly. A heavy round for repetitive drinking.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SimonLarsen (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 28, 2004
Golden with a long lasting solid white head. Fresh hops aroma. This is actually one of the first american beers I ever tried. It made the common condemnation of the american beers as being watery crap quite a conundrum. Starts out with a non dememo malt (but it is there) which is then hammered into place with a good handful of hops. If only australian beer makers would make lagers like this, surely people couldn't find it offensive or anything, this is an agreeable all bases covered lager IMHO.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
possumjc (149) - Charleston - Mt Pleasant, South Carolina, USA - MAR 27, 2004
12 oz bottle. This beer holds a place in my heart. It is the first 'microbrew' that I ever tried. Whilst friends chugged down crappy light beers, my palate started to develop because of Sam Adams. Brewer/Patriot. I have not had a Boston Lager in a while. This beer is a real nice looking amber color. The head is white and thin. The flavor is really smooth with a good mix of hops and malt flavors. While I have other beers I like more, Boston Lager still is nice to come back to.