overall

RATINGS: 4057   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - APR 30, 2003
It was too bitter for my liking. It has a nice red color and white head to it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
larsniclas (5611) - Billdal, SWEDEN - APR 27, 2003
A little redish with a rich, frothy head. A distinct hoppy aroma. Some hop-bitterness and malt in the flavour.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - APR 27, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2003 Pours a clear carbonated amber with a small white head. Very light nose. Start is lightly malt sweet and the finish has a hint of hop bitterness and is somewhat dry. Not bad for a lager.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - APR 17, 2003
Bottle. Rich golden brown, with a fluffy head, that remains lacy around the glass. The first thing is the strong roasted malt flavour, slightly sweet middle and then finally right at the end a bitter finish. I'm looking forward to the seasonal specials my NY buddies tell me about.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
raymow (815) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 16, 2003
You can taste the quality in Sam Adams over all of the other mass-produced dreck out there. Nice color and flavor Nice malt flavor, not hoppy. I like some other Sam Adams brews better (Oktoberfest, Winter Lager, etc.), but I'd drink this again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - APR 16, 2003
Bottle - This beer does have a nice malty, slightly hoppy flavor. It's not an outstanding beer, but given a choice between Heineken (US Green Bottle), Corona, and Beck's (US Bottle Version), I prefer the Sam Adams.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - APR 14, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2003 This is the beer that started it all for me some 15 or more years ago in Boston. Before Sam Adams I was not a beer drinker so I give credit to Jim Koch for introducing me to a decent beer. Although I don't drink this one often, I did have one with dinner the other night at a restaurant. On draught, clear light amber with very little head and only slight lacing. Decent hop presence for a lager but a little too watery which obscured the malt flavor I was looking for. I've been to the brewery in Jamaica Plain MA many times in the past, and I know what Boston Beer is capable of. I just think they've gotten too big to produce something better and more consistent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
EricTheRed (82) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - APR 12, 2003
so overall average. had this on draft, and it's fine, if uninspiring. good color, and head and a fine taste

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ludwig (60) - USA - APR 8, 2003
This happens to be Mrs. Ludwig's favorite brew, so I have to be careful. For a so called craft beer I guess it is not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
brewbear (48) - 3096 Oberbalm, SWITZERLAND - APR 7, 2003
malty flavour, small on hops, flowery nose, small head, typical american lager