overall

RATINGS: 4001   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Slovak34 (99) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 24, 2002
If you want to try a good lager, buy a Yuengling. Don’t waste your money on this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Basic Micro brewed lager from a soon to be Macro company.

hopscotch (8776) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2003 Damn, I was obviously freakin' rocked when I rated this beer. My rating remains the same, but for God's sake, War and Peace was written in less time. I was obviously drunk off my ass. I don't even like Hendrix. I wonder if Jim Koche can play guitar?... This beer rocks. After stepping up onto my soapbox, I say...This beer is to American MicroBrews as Cal Ripken was to the current generation of tall, powerful shortstops... as Jimi Hendrix was to Eddie Van Halen and all that followed in his footsteps. This is the beer that started the American Craft-Brew Rennaisance that we are now lucky enough to be experiencing. Oh sure, today you can buy this beer at any supermarket or quickshop. However, I remember my early college days when the only beers available at the local spirit shop were flavorless, macro-brewed American Pilseners, a few flavorless, macro-brewed imports from Holland or Germany, and of course, the new kid on the block... Sam Adams Boston Lager. I remember how this lager's hearty, malty flavor ruined me for all other American beers. It cost a lot of money compared to all other domestics, but I would save my pennies just so I would no longer be forced to drink Coors or Genesee (my two favorites at the time)on the weekends. The commercial description above pretty much says it like it is; although, I personally don't detect anything 'sweet' within this beer. The nose is straightforward...malt and hops. The flavor is very well balanced, although I forgive it for being a bit on the malty side since I really dig malt. I mean, c'mon, your reading the words of a person who drank nothing as a kid except Ice Cream Malts and Malted milk. Now, back on my soapbox. I try not to take this extremely available lager for granted. I drink this beer at least once per month. This site wouldn't exist today if not for Samuel Adam's Boston Lager. All hail Cal Ripken, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Koche. BTW, my score, although not far from the way I see it, is inflated for sentimental reasons. Thanks for listening.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
chunknuts (51) - Watertown, New York, USA - SEP 22, 2002
i was at my friends house and his mother offered me one of these and i was disgusted. i almost threw up. this beer was terrible. i would like to tell the people who make sam adams that u should stop making it until u learn how to make a quality beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 21, 2002
I remember having only small sips of sam adams and basically spitting it out all over the place because of the soapy water flavour, but last night a good buddy of mine got me one at a blues bar in Chicago. Knowing that spitting wasn’t an option, I braced for my first swig. . .and was pleasantly surprised. There was a refreshing hoppy flavour that I wasn’t expecting. Though it wasn’t the greatest beer I have ever had, it was loads better than what I was bracing myself for.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - SEP 19, 2002
In 1991, this beer was truly sublime. Floral aroma, beautiful lacing, complex amber malt which had a sensational give-and-take with equally complex hop flavors. It’s simply not the same now. The malt is monolithic and the aroma is nowhere near what it was. To get the old taste, I simply drink Brooklyn Lager now. A pity. (and their foolishness with mucking about with the label is inexcusable).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - SEP 18, 2002
I commemorated September 11 by buying a case of this stuff. Nothing like drinking a patriot on ’Patriot Day’ or whatever its called now. About the beer, sweet compared to the regular macrobrews. A couple of these makes a nice late night snack for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 17, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2003 I have to agree with MKRILL: The Budweiser of Microbrews...but overall a pretty average lager, nothing special. Re-Rate 3/12/2003: Has a nice amber color with little carbonation and a sweet malt/hop smell. Taste is malted at first and finishes into a medium hop bitterness. Overall not a bad lager, but nothing special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dhurtubise (568) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2002
They may have changed the recipe over the years to make it less hoppy, but this beer is still a good hearty hop supper. Very clean, quite hoppy, floral, fresh. Certainly one of the better widely available north american lagers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
gerdy555 (163) - Ohio, USA - SEP 15, 2002
i had never been very impressed by this beer when i had tried it previously. but i decided to try it again and its not too bad. decent hop and malt flavor but still its nothing that i would drink on a regular basis