overall

RATINGS: 4091   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Level of hops is about right, not too much, not too little. All in all a reasonable thing to drink at most of the professional events I end up attending.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Probably the best american macro lager out there, malty taste, some hop presence, often the best beer available at most places.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pilsnerrogge (2524) - Finspång, SWEDEN - JUN 24, 2002
This was the first American beer I had that didn’t taste like Budweiser. Quite an eye opener! Sure, there are better American beers out there, but this one’s got a special place in my heart! Rich & hoppy with some roasty notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
nevditz (16) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 19, 2002
good lager, but aftertaste not great

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GPyott (67) - Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Full malt body which is complemented by the mild hop finish. One of the greatest of go-to beers when you’re undecided at the liquor store or bar.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
boto (1882) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - JUN 15, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2003 Very drinkable. Proof that Americans can make excellent 'commercial' beers. Re-rate: As my palate and "experience" have broadened, I need to drop this down a bit.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUN 9, 2002
Agreed - a fine macrobrew and a ’popular’ choice as its usually on tap in bars. Leans toward the malty side of tastes, with just the slightest bite from hops on the end. Not bad and I do keep a supply when entertaining non-beergeek guests.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
mattduling (64) - Fairmont, West Virginia, USA - JUN 7, 2002
For a macrobrew it is quite sweet with hints of bitter in the aftertaste. A complete beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
theFinatUofI (45) - Colorado, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Excellent macrobrew. A beautiful, deep color yet the head is quite underdeveloped. A bit on the sweeter side with hints of bitterness which amounts to a little odd aftertaste. All in all a very balanced and soft taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2229) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUN 2, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2006 6/19/06: Note- This is not a re-rate. Although I realize 4 years hence that I overrated this brew, I’m not going to change my rating. Why? Because this beer is so grossly underrated due to anti macro bias, that I am doing my part to counter that with a rating that may be a little high. Without actually having it in front of me, I have had had it enough to have an educated idea as to how I would re-rate it: ar 8, ap 4, fl 7, pal 5, ov 16, ttl 4.0. An avg. rating of 3.19 for this beer is a joke and a disservice to Sam Adams and the craft beer community. 6/2/02: For a mass marketed beer, this is truly a tasty brew. It has a wonderfully sweet, medium hopped flavor, decent head and color. The aroma is the best I’ve experienced since I started paying attention. You can’t go wrong here.