overall

RATINGS: 4198   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 2, 2002
I don’t know why they sell this everywhere and not the Boston Ale. I suppose it’s a good amber lager, but just not my style. Miles ahead of Coors, Bud, Rolling Rock, and any other ubiquitous beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
beerguy101 (5319) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 2, 2002
Lt brown color, small head. A nice malty and hoppy beer. Flavor is mild, full mouthfeel. Good balance. A simple beer, but well made. Nice beer. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is malty and slightly bitter.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 29, 2002
Certainly better than other popular American lagers or standards (Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.) Decent to look at with a reddish golden hue. Somewhat mettalic taste but at least you can tell there are hops used as opposed to the big boy adjuncts (rice, corn). Average.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 27, 2002
Medium amber clear under a very large fast fading yellow head with some random lace. Aroma is quite interesting for a lager - light peppery, less sweet more sappy floral and celery like with some nectar and caramel as it warms. Medium thin body and not as carbonated as others have said. Flavours initially closely match aroma together with something woody and sufficient bitter to create a bit of balance and interest. This beer has more of a english cask ale feel to it than a lager. I also get a faint bitter and chicken noodle soupy salty like finish. Is this really a lager???

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
Discofish (152) - USA - SEP 27, 2002

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 26, 2002
Not bad a good lager. goes down quick and smooth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Duffbeer (192) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2002
A solid brew.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Slovak34 (99) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 24, 2002
If you want to try a good lager, buy a Yuengling. Don’t waste your money on this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Basic Micro brewed lager from a soon to be Macro company.

hopscotch (10009) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2003 Damn, I was obviously freakin' rocked when I rated this beer. My rating remains the same, but for God's sake, War and Peace was written in less time. I was obviously drunk off my ass. I don't even like Hendrix. I wonder if Jim Koche can play guitar?... This beer rocks. After stepping up onto my soapbox, I say...This beer is to American MicroBrews as Cal Ripken was to the current generation of tall, powerful shortstops... as Jimi Hendrix was to Eddie Van Halen and all that followed in his footsteps. This is the beer that started the American Craft-Brew Rennaisance that we are now lucky enough to be experiencing. Oh sure, today you can buy this beer at any supermarket or quickshop. However, I remember my early college days when the only beers available at the local spirit shop were flavorless, macro-brewed American Pilseners, a few flavorless, macro-brewed imports from Holland or Germany, and of course, the new kid on the block... Sam Adams Boston Lager. I remember how this lager's hearty, malty flavor ruined me for all other American beers. It cost a lot of money compared to all other domestics, but I would save my pennies just so I would no longer be forced to drink Coors or Genesee (my two favorites at the time)on the weekends. The commercial description above pretty much says it like it is; although, I personally don't detect anything 'sweet' within this beer. The nose is straightforward...malt and hops. The flavor is very well balanced, although I forgive it for being a bit on the malty side since I really dig malt. I mean, c'mon, your reading the words of a person who drank nothing as a kid except Ice Cream Malts and Malted milk. Now, back on my soapbox. I try not to take this extremely available lager for granted. I drink this beer at least once per month. This site wouldn't exist today if not for Samuel Adam's Boston Lager. All hail Cal Ripken, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Koche. BTW, my score, although not far from the way I see it, is inflated for sentimental reasons. Thanks for listening.