overall

RATINGS: 4106   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
boto (1892) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - JUN 15, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2003 Very drinkable. Proof that Americans can make excellent 'commercial' beers. Re-rate: As my palate and "experience" have broadened, I need to drop this down a bit.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUN 9, 2002
Agreed - a fine macrobrew and a ’popular’ choice as its usually on tap in bars. Leans toward the malty side of tastes, with just the slightest bite from hops on the end. Not bad and I do keep a supply when entertaining non-beergeek guests.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
mattduling (64) - Fairmont, West Virginia, USA - JUN 7, 2002
For a macrobrew it is quite sweet with hints of bitter in the aftertaste. A complete beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
theFinatUofI (45) - Colorado, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Excellent macrobrew. A beautiful, deep color yet the head is quite underdeveloped. A bit on the sweeter side with hints of bitterness which amounts to a little odd aftertaste. All in all a very balanced and soft taste.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUN 2, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2006 6/19/06: Note- This is not a re-rate. Although I realize 4 years hence that I overrated this brew, I’m not going to change my rating. Why? Because this beer is so grossly underrated due to anti macro bias, that I am doing my part to counter that with a rating that may be a little high. Without actually having it in front of me, I have had had it enough to have an educated idea as to how I would re-rate it: ar 8, ap 4, fl 7, pal 5, ov 16, ttl 4.0. An avg. rating of 3.19 for this beer is a joke and a disservice to Sam Adams and the craft beer community. 6/2/02: For a mass marketed beer, this is truly a tasty brew. It has a wonderfully sweet, medium hopped flavor, decent head and color. The aroma is the best I’ve experienced since I started paying attention. You can’t go wrong here.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - JUN 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2004 Surprisingly good for an American lager. Slightly hoppy and dry. Good when nothing else is available except the usual american macros.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GiddyBoy (117) - USA - JUN 1, 2002
Very nice. I finally had one and it was good. Bottle though. I would drink again, especially since it is a lot easier to get than some of my faves. Nice and smooth. Very little bite or aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Surprisingly good and full of character for an American lager. This even has some bitterness, but I don’t see the sweetness some commented on. A good standby and easy-to-find!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JohnDo2000 (99) - Metairie, Louisiana, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Great carmely lager with a penuty taste to it. Medium body and color. Great before a meal.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
omhper (19981) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - MAY 27, 2002
Amber coloured. Flowery aroma, medium body, crystal malt character. For a long time this was the only decent American beer I’d tried, as it was the only one available.