overall

RATINGS: 4340   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams Boston Lagerģ is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lagerģ also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worldís oldest hops growing area. Among the worldís most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Bassy15 (60) - Cullowhee, North Carolina, USA - APR 21, 2004
lets start off with color, it is a golden copper, and the head is a creamy off white. The flavor is nutty, a little almond and peanut and sweet. it has a bit of a sweet and biter aftertaste (odd). Smooth palate, head holds great. A great lager, like whoa.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Goodfella (60) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 8, 2004
I just started drinking this stuff and it left me with a bad after taste. Overall I was not impressed by this beer. A bad bitter tasting lager, Crap!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LennyH (60) - Delaware, USA - DEC 16, 2006
Nothing special compared to other stuff thatís readily available today, but Iím forever grateful to this beer for setting me on the path to craft brews. Itís a decent and solid brew and Iím glad that itís available almost everywhere. Based on the selection at some bars, I feel luck to get this!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xShanex (60) - Wyalusing, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2008
Good old Sam Adams never lets me down. Pours a rich amber color while delivering a complex yet balanced taste that leaves you refreshed. Its hard to pinpoint an exact aroma because of the complex flavors, but the citrus stands out due to the quality of hops. Have another? Indeed my friend!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
RickRob925 (60) - Macclenny, Florida, USA - NOV 19, 2010
Nice pretty amber color. Nice smooth. Little bit low on flavor. Really no palate. Average beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
braznadian (59) - Washington, USA - DEC 12, 2012
Smells strongly of sourdough and just a touch skunky. Clear vibrant amber in color. Half inch white head. Taste is well balanced between sweet malt and hops. Has a medium body and is well carbonated. Balance about sums it up with this one. Between the aroma to taste to body, everything shines through and nothing is overdone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
ironprog (59) - Florida, USA - FEB 9, 2013
12 oz. bottle. Pours a clear, amber-orange with a frothy white head that lasts a long time. Aromas of citrus, grass, and hay. Taste is a bit bitter with a metallic "tinge" to it. Itís medium-bodied with a lightly creamy texture. Finish is on the dry side with a hint of orange. Carbonation is average. In my book, this one is nothing special, yet itís good enough that I would drink it again. Pleasing, but not outstanding.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
exparte (59) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 27, 2009
12 oz bottle. Spicy hop aroma with floral and citrus notes. Clear golden color with a substantial head and nice lacing. Flavor is spicy hops and sweet malt. Nice fully body with a smooth texture and perfect carbonation. Not the most exciting beer but itís at the head of the class for the style. Plus it started the revolution and you have to respect that. I completely agree with a previous reviewer; this is the quintessential American lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AndyHasFins (59) - Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 25, 2010
UPDATED: APR 26, 2010 There are beers that I might say I enjoy more than Sam Adams Boston Lager, more complex, interesting, etc. But if somebody told me I had to choose just one beer to drink for the rest of my life, I would easily choose this one. Itís a classic thatís just smooth enough, flavorful enough, and interesting enough to always enjoy. Itís my Go-To beer when iím in a bar or restaurant that only stocks the standards.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
molsonfan9000 (59) - geneva, New York, USA - NOV 14, 2007
Tried this beer again after months of dislike. I changed my mind. This is a pretty good beer. maybe its because im not drinking it cold, I dunno. Thick white head, almost amber gold color. Smell is a decent balance of malt and hop. Taste is similar, but pretty good overall.