overall

RATINGS: 3917   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Samuel Adams Boston Lagerģ is the best example of the fundamental characteristics of a great beer, offering a full, rich flavor that is both balanced and complex. It is brewed using a decoction mash, a time consuming, traditional four vessel brewing process discarded by many contemporary brewers. This process brings forth a rich sweetness from the malt that makes it well worth the effort. Samuel Adams Boston Lagerģ also uses only the finest of ingredients including two row barley, as well as German Noble aroma hops. The exclusive use of two row barley not only imparts a full, smooth body but also gives the beer a wide spectrum of malt flavor ranging from slightly sweet to caramel to slightly roasted. The Noble hops varieties, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Tettnang Tettnanger, add a wide range of floral, piney and citrus notes, which are present from the aroma, through the flavor, to the lingering smooth finish. We take great pride in the Noble hops used in our beers. They are hand selected by Jim Koch and our other brewers from the worldís oldest hops growing area. Among the worldís most expensive, they cost twenty times as much as other hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JimTuna (19) - USA - DEC 20, 2007
Probably the best american lager out there, and the best tasting of any other samuel adams flavors.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Necron99 (19) - Clermont, Florida, USA - AUG 27, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2008 Mainly smells like clean citrus and grain, slightly on the uneventful side as far as aroma goes. Amber color pour with a small white head. Pretty good hop flavor, and very smooth. Leaves a slight grass flavor in your mouth. Not bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lobonator (19) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 6, 2009
Sampled @ approx 8deg C. In Puerto Rico so may be pre treated somewhat differently (label states "Puerto Rico") i.e. perhaps pasteurized longer, or filtered sharper. Expiration date March 2010 therefore relatively fresh. I have sampled before here and can verify that it does not age well. Sometimes more hoppy than other times leading to lack of continuity. Present sample, aroma very good. Hoppy but not too much so, somewhat resinous, and with slight floral notes and caramel. Appearance excellent. Good foam stability and slight lacing. Complex taste, well balanced with caramel sweetness and slightly soft hoppy bitterness. I stress, refreshingly and gratifyingly hoppy. Not harsh at all. Mouthfeel on the soft side and full bodied. Sadly, too full bodied for my taste leading to a decrease in drinkability. Carbonation perfect. Malty backbone, masked perhaps too much by caramel but not too sweet. Hop contributions to taste were again resinous and pleasantly hoppy. Overall, a wonderful beer that I always enjoy drinking but only 2 or 3 bottles at the most.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Arkolm (19) - USA - MAY 19, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2011 Updated review 1/5/11: I should say this is the first Sam Adams Boston Lager I have had since I first reviewed this. Somehow I ended up drinking almost entirely ales, and I didnít want to end up a lager-hater so Iím going through some. I didnít realize I had reviewed thus the update.

Poured from a fresh (winter mix 2010) bottle at cellar temperature into a tumbler. More orange than amber, with a clean pine-hop scent. Faint grain behind that in the aroma but thatís all that I pull out this time. The aroma is not strong, and the head is pretty thin. No lacing for me this time.

Taste is immediate back-mouth hop bitterness quickly followed up with unroasted malts --between cereal and mild caramel. I get no grass, but swear I can taste a pretty distinct, if not powerful, yeast. No one else has said this so maybe Iím completely off; I canít deny it though.

Thin body that is moderately carbonated. The hops are more complex than many macrobrews I think. Thereís a floral hop that is more at the front of the mouth and the much more present pine-hop flavor that is at the roof of the mouth and back. Also dominate in the after taste.

Reading my review from last May it doesnít sound like the same beer to me. Possibly this was a fresher bottle, or maybe the hops got steeped longer. Who knows. Could be my palate changed. I adjusted my score slightly but am still impressed with this beer. I actually think this bottle was more interesting than the one I wrote about.

Itís wide availability is a great boon for it -- I enjoyed drinking it, but not enough to buy it over other beers. Great for when the only other option is one of those beer with a cumulative review of <1 aka most sports bars around here.

My only (biased) changes to this beer would be a little more floral hops and a bit of body increase.

Old Review 5/2010: Just had one from a bottle. Nice fresh hops. Notes both in aroma and in the mouth of faint pine and orange citrus. Nicely carbonated, and goes down well. Impressive for something I see everywhere!

realityarcher (19) - Boston, USA - JAN 7, 2011
Pours a beautiful golden amber color. Mild aroma of fruits and hops. The taste is complex and a medium body, yet refreshing. Hints of citrus, caramel, and nutty. A classic beer that can be enjoyed anywhere at an affordable price.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
tom127 (19) - ISRAEL - JUN 11, 2011
Appearance :orange, clear, sparkling, rocky head, minimal head, white foam, Taste : light sweetness, medium bitterness, rich The palate: medium body, oily feel, thick feel, lively, bitter, long finish, Aroma : caramel, Hops [hallertau mittelfrueh, tettnang tettnanger]- floral, grass, citrus, herbs, Yeast- leather, earthy, leaves, alcohol, butterscotch, ginger, raisin, soy sauce, 12 NIS cheers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rockchalk2 (19) - Kansas, USA - SEP 12, 2011
The ultimate go-to beer. Widely available and serves as an excellent gateway beer for those still stuck in macroland.

peteydaoust (19) - - SEP 7, 2012
This is my favorite beer. I rated it perfectly not because I think itís the perfect beer, but because it is the perfect beer for me. This itís what Iím judging beers based on.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Wiszard (19) - Derry, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 12, 2012
This is one of those go to beers when nothing on the beer menu looks good. A full bodied lager that pours out a great copper color. Not to pale. Not dark.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Primobang (18) - New Hampshire, USA - MAR 1, 2002
A great smooth beer if you can afford to get drunk on it I applaud you, but for the rest of us its Keystone ice...