overall

RATINGS: 4047   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ratman197 (9728) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - MAY 17, 2007
Bottle poured a clear amber with a small lasting light amber head. Aromas of bread, light carmel and noble hops. Palate was light bodied and crisp. Flavors of bread with hints of carmel and earthiness with a crisp lightly bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerandBlues2 (9607) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - MAY 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2011 Bottle. Pours clear amber with an average, frothy and bubbly white head, long retention with good lacing. Aroma is heavy malt (caramel, toast, nutty), average hops (spicy, earthy), and a clean lager character. Flavor is moderate malt with a nice hop balance and medium-light bitterness; clean and smooth with a light sweetness. Light body, low warmth, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bov (9467) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - JUN 18, 2000
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2009 re-rated 9-2009; courtesy of Ric Jackman - translucide and bright amber colour with a solid, creamy, persistent and slightly beige foam; a fair and charming flowery hoppiness with notes of oranges; a decent malt body and tart bitterness; subtle carbonation; long flowery finish with notes of caramel - should be used as a benchmark to judge all other lagers

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
FatPhil (9314) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - FEB 21, 2008
355ml bottle (Gallows Bird, Espoo)
Pale orange, tiny head. Slightly dull aroma. Decent carbonation, not too fizzy. Nutty and woody, sweet honey notes, malty taste, slightly creamy, however on top of all that there’s also a load of hops too - noble and bittering. Long nutty and bitter finish. Does become less interesting after a while, but still a very good lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DJMonarch (9159) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - AUG 1, 2009
355ml Bottle at Home 23/06/2008 White head. Some carbonation. Golden coloured floral hoppy and slightly fruity with a little dryness and bitterness in a crisp malt finish.

hopscotch (9120) - Indian River County, Florida, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2003 Damn, I was obviously freakin' rocked when I rated this beer. My rating remains the same, but for God's sake, War and Peace was written in less time. I was obviously drunk off my ass. I don't even like Hendrix. I wonder if Jim Koche can play guitar?... This beer rocks. After stepping up onto my soapbox, I say...This beer is to American MicroBrews as Cal Ripken was to the current generation of tall, powerful shortstops... as Jimi Hendrix was to Eddie Van Halen and all that followed in his footsteps. This is the beer that started the American Craft-Brew Rennaisance that we are now lucky enough to be experiencing. Oh sure, today you can buy this beer at any supermarket or quickshop. However, I remember my early college days when the only beers available at the local spirit shop were flavorless, macro-brewed American Pilseners, a few flavorless, macro-brewed imports from Holland or Germany, and of course, the new kid on the block... Sam Adams Boston Lager. I remember how this lager's hearty, malty flavor ruined me for all other American beers. It cost a lot of money compared to all other domestics, but I would save my pennies just so I would no longer be forced to drink Coors or Genesee (my two favorites at the time)on the weekends. The commercial description above pretty much says it like it is; although, I personally don't detect anything 'sweet' within this beer. The nose is straightforward...malt and hops. The flavor is very well balanced, although I forgive it for being a bit on the malty side since I really dig malt. I mean, c'mon, your reading the words of a person who drank nothing as a kid except Ice Cream Malts and Malted milk. Now, back on my soapbox. I try not to take this extremely available lager for granted. I drink this beer at least once per month. This site wouldn't exist today if not for Samuel Adam's Boston Lager. All hail Cal Ripken, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Koche. BTW, my score, although not far from the way I see it, is inflated for sentimental reasons. Thanks for listening.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
daknole (9058) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 18, 2008
I have never been a fan of their "flagship" beer. Something just doesnt sit right. Dont get me wrong, it blows any macro brew out of the water...but I try not to drink this too much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
adnielsen (9032) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 2, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2011 Tasted from a 12 oz bottle purchased in Fort Collins, Colorado. Pours a light orange-amber appearance with a light-medium head. Aroma is a mostly malty. Mostly malty but somewhat sweet flavor. Good session brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hopdog (8886) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Poured a medium and clear orange color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of toasted grains, some citrus, and some caramel. Tastes of caramel and some citrus. A little grassy too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pivnizub (8810) - Bochum, Porúří, GERMANY - JUN 5, 2006
Bottle: Light amber coloured, small, but firm off-white head; sweet-malty, a bit toasted aroma with a big touch of herbal hoppiness; distinctive bitter flavour; malty, nutty finish with a long, hoppy, herbal aftertaste. Superb ! Spicy and smooth.........