RATINGS: 4267   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%

hopscotch (10265) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2003 Damn, I was obviously freakin' rocked when I rated this beer. My rating remains the same, but for God's sake, War and Peace was written in less time. I was obviously drunk off my ass. I don't even like Hendrix. I wonder if Jim Koche can play guitar?... This beer rocks. After stepping up onto my soapbox, I say...This beer is to American MicroBrews as Cal Ripken was to the current generation of tall, powerful shortstops... as Jimi Hendrix was to Eddie Van Halen and all that followed in his footsteps. This is the beer that started the American Craft-Brew Rennaisance that we are now lucky enough to be experiencing. Oh sure, today you can buy this beer at any supermarket or quickshop. However, I remember my early college days when the only beers available at the local spirit shop were flavorless, macro-brewed American Pilseners, a few flavorless, macro-brewed imports from Holland or Germany, and of course, the new kid on the block... Sam Adams Boston Lager. I remember how this lager's hearty, malty flavor ruined me for all other American beers. It cost a lot of money compared to all other domestics, but I would save my pennies just so I would no longer be forced to drink Coors or Genesee (my two favorites at the time)on the weekends. The commercial deScription above pretty much says it like it is; although, I personally don't detect anything 'sweet' within this beer. The nose is straightforward...malt and hops. The flavor is very well balanced, although I forgive it for being a bit on the malty side since I really dig malt. I mean, c'mon, your reading the words of a person who drank nothing as a kid except Ice Cream Malts and Malted milk. Now, back on my soapbox. I try not to take this extremely available lager for granted. I drink this beer at least once per month. This site wouldn't exist today if not for Samuel Adam's Boston Lager. All hail Cal Ripken, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Koche. BTW, my score, although not far from the way I see it, is inflated for sentimental reasons. Thanks for listening.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hopdog (10255) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Poured a medium and clear orange color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of toasted grains, some citrus, and some caramel. Tastes of caramel and some citrus. A little grassy too.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kevnic2008 (10219) - Baden-Baden, GERMANY - JUN 8, 2012
Clear orange golden colour. Minimal white head. Light bitter, light coffee, light roasted malt taste. Nice flavour, but too light. Light body. Nice light bitter, light dry, light astringent finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
adnielsen (10199) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 2, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2011 Tasted from a 12 oz bottle purchased in Fort Collins, Colorado. Pours a light orange-amber appearance with a light-medium head. Aroma is a mostly malty. Mostly malty but somewhat sweet flavor. Good session brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Maria (10190) - Thisted, DENMARK - FEB 2, 2007
This amber colored beer has a nice head and an aroma of fruit and malt. The flavour has notes of fruit, flower and malt, and it’s exceptionally fullbodied "only" being a lager. The bitterness is moderate, but just right for this beer, that is almost ale-like.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Meilby (9999) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - JAN 15, 2011
Bottle 355ml @ home
Pours clear dark golden with a off-white head. Aroma has notes of malt, caramel, grain and light hops. Taste is light sweet and bitter. Body is light, texture is thin, carbonation is soft.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dogbrick (9998) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2002
Very distinct flavor but my least favorite of the Sammy’s line, as I much prefer their seasonal fare. Nothing to really complain about though, as it is an above-average lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Scopey (9998) - Croydon, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 21, 2014
Keg at the The Duke of Wellington, Chelsea. It pours clear deep amber-brown with a medium off-white head. The nose is malt-driven...toasty, earth, citrus peel and brown bread. The taste is crisp, bitter, earthy, brown, bread, muffin, orange peel, sherbet and caramel with a dry finish. Medium body and moderate carbonation. I have had this a few times a good while back, but really enjoyed it this time. Well rounded, nice orange peel action and high drinkability. Good stuff

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Sammy (9973) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 2, 2004
Not too sweet or watery, nice for a lager. Bit sweet, and not up to ana verage craft beer. Some creamy mouthfeel and balance, crisp and dry aftertaste. Hint of floral aroma.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
crossovert (9957) - Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2011
Tastes like Schlitz with a pinch more hops. It is just a very basic lager that is more or less mass produced.