overall

RATINGS: 1246   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Samuel Adams® partnered with Scharffen Berger Chocolate to develop their newest innovation, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock. Tettnang Tettnanger and Spalt hops were hand-selected from the world’s oldest growing area and combined with a complex selection of malts including two row Pale, Munich and caramel to create a rich and satisfying brew. This dark beer has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate. The chocolatiers at Scharffen Berger crafted an exclusive blend of chocolate for Samuel Adams® made with cocoa beans from Ghana called forastero. Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock was aged on a bed of this chocolate to create its unique layers of flavor. As the beer matured, the fruity, tart, earthy and chocolate aromas were infused into the liquid to give the brew a complex, full-bodied taste with a velvety finish. A hint of vanilla was added to meld the symphony of flavors together. Due to legal restrictions, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock can not be sold in the states of Alabama, Louisiana, and Utah.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
skaughty (647) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JAN 13, 2005
On tap at a beer & chocolate tasting
Oh yeah, there is real chocolate carrying this one! However, it isn’t a one trick pony. There are many elements in the flavor and aroma (raisin, melon and others) that lead in and out of the creamy chocolate middle. Tasting the Scharffen Berger chocolate alongside was fun, and shows that the sum is greater than the parts. I probably enjoyed this more because I didn’t directly shell out the steep price for a bottle with raised expectations.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - JAN 12, 2005
Pours dark with a thick tan head that dissapeared quickly.Had some chocolate notes.This brew didnot get any better as it warmed up.I drove to Tampa for this and I wouldn’t say i was dissapointed , but I was exprcting more

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hotspur2001 (44) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 11, 2005
Have to admit I was a little disappointed in this, especially after having shelled out what I paid for it! Some chocolate taste, but not enough IMHO. As someone mentioned earlier, it has more of a chocolate aroma than taste. Nice bottle though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 8, 2005
On tap at Barley’s Taphouse in Asheville, NC. How does this bar pour beers over 6% legally in NC? I’m glad they do as this, in my opinion is an act of necessary civil disobedience. This is a mediocre beer. I’m not a Sam Adams critic (see my Tripple entry), but this does nothing for me. Roasted chocolate aroma and flavor, but then again, what poor man’s stout doesn’t have this? This bock is just too watery. Their double bock is way better and way cheaper. Cool bottle, though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 4, 2005
Small head, some malt in the aroma, if you keep your nose in it long enough, some chocolate comes though,strong initial chocolate taste,the palate sensation was a smooth film of wonderful cocoa, I’ve never experienced that before in a brew, like a piece of Godiva had just melted in my mouth, the chocolate tried to hold on , but faded at the end. Very good,I’d pay as much for a 6’er as a good Bells stout, but 14.00 bucks for a 750,the next one I have will be a gift

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Someone bought this one for me as a Christmas present. When opened and poured out, the first thing I thought to myself is that it looked and smelled like a watered down stout. Very little in the way of chocolate present. Watery and not at all what it claims to be. Very mediocre and not worth the money. The nicest thing about this beer is the bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Another great one by Sam!!! Full of flavor but not revoltingly sweet for my tastes (like the Triple Bock). Great balanced brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 1, 2005
750 ml bomber bottle. I have to admit that I’d been wanting to try this beer for quite some time, but that the relatively high price put me off. I finally broke down and bought a bottle last October, and I opened it today to celebrate the New Year. Color: deep mahogany (looks black unless held directly in front a light source) with a disappointingly thin light brown head. Nose: sarsaprilla, Moxie, vanilla, almonds and cocoa. Chocolate is more pronounced in the taste, but vanilla, almonds and hazelnuts are detectable as well. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel and the 7% ABV is completely unnoticeable. A nice beer, but the flavor was not as intensely chocolate as its name led me to believe it would be.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Mads Langtved (2245) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - DEC 29, 2004
Draught Mugs in Brooklyn This beer does’nt live up to the snobbish bottle and price. The American brewers problems in making bocks are obvious in this one. It is way too watery and it seems that they have taken Youngs choccolate stout and poured water in it. Afterwards they just say it is a bock, but in fact it is a shitty watery wanna-be choccolate stout. In it self the beer is not that bad, but I just get pissed off, when a beer pretends something it is not.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - DEC 29, 2004
This was a pretty interesting beer. The chocolate was mostly in the nose, and did not overpower the flavour. It was very sweet. It felt like a pretty standard bock with a mostly malt taste that lead into the chocolate. I think this would be a good desert drink. I ended up having to share my pint in order to finish it.