overall

RATINGS: 1256   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Samuel Adams® partnered with Scharffen Berger Chocolate to develop their newest innovation, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock. Tettnang Tettnanger and Spalt hops were hand-selected from the world’s oldest growing area and combined with a complex selection of malts including two row Pale, Munich and caramel to create a rich and satisfying brew. This dark beer has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate. The chocolatiers at Scharffen Berger crafted an exclusive blend of chocolate for Samuel Adams® made with cocoa beans from Ghana called forastero. Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock was aged on a bed of this chocolate to create its unique layers of flavor. As the beer matured, the fruity, tart, earthy and chocolate aromas were infused into the liquid to give the brew a complex, full-bodied taste with a velvety finish. A hint of vanilla was added to meld the symphony of flavors together. Due to legal restrictions, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock can not be sold in the states of Alabama, Louisiana, and Utah.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 19, 2004
I like the bottle. The metal label is definately a nice touch. Nice complex nutty aroma over a dark brown color. A little on the watery side, but the chocolate maltyness is definately there. I’ve been keeping this in the fridge and just noticed that it said "Enjoy before June 2004", and it’s late Setpember. Still very drinkable nonetheless.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
nigos (631) - Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND - SEP 13, 2004
Very dark black hue with a reddish tinge to it when held to the light. Alcoholic chocolatey nose and a hint of coffee. Sweetish chocolate with roasted earthy tone and a long caramel after taste. An interesting and enjoyable drink although a little on the expensive side at $15.95

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3221) - Tennessee, USA - AUG 30, 2004
Thanks to TheBeerCellar2 for this trade. Deep brown opaque color minimal tan head. Aroma of rich malt with a distinct chocolate touch. The chocolate in the flavor is unlike that of the chocolate flavor that roasted malt has. This doesn’t taste much like a Bock although it isn’t a bad brew. Somewhat of a novelty to be sure and if it were $2.50 a bottle instead of the $15+ that I have seen, it would be a worthwhile brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 30, 2004
This had a pretty nice chocolate scent, but was pretty bland tasting. No better than average, and certainly not worth what they charge for a bottle. Luckily I got to sample it at a fest, and am not out the $15.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 19, 2004
Hmmmm... I dunno about this one. It’s certainly darker than any other bock I’ve ever tasted and it does display some of the classic toffee and sweet malt flavors of a bock, but those are quickly stamped out by an explosion of chocolate flavor. I dunno, somehow it just doesn't do it for me. If I want a bock I'll buy a good German bock. If I want nice chocolate I'll buy some nice chocolate (perhaps Sharffen Berger). I might even drink the beer while eating the chocolate, but I don't need the two combined into a single entity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2004 Sampled this beer at the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison WI. Even though my scores on this are accurate and well researched, Da Man wants me to say more about the beer, so I will. Got a free glass with this beer, which was cool. Also used it's chocolately goodness to try to pick up women at the fest. I think it was working, but then again, I was....oh what's the word, drunk!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DewBrewer (295) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 11, 2004
This beer tasted like a chocolate soda with a little less carbonation. It was a medium to dark brown color with a massive malt smell. I just didn’t get the complexity I thought I would get from the beer. It tasted okay but I don’t think I will buy it for the price I have seen it at in most stores.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 5, 2004
Dark red color. Good head with some lacing. Creamy texture with a chocolate/roasty taste. Sweet finish. A little thin in body for my taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 2, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2004 Well I let this beer sit for many months. I bought it at the very beginning of January 04 and just last night realized that the label on the back of the bottle says, “For brewing fresh taste enjoy before June 2004.” Guess what? It’s not June!

Rating # 560
Pours a dark chestnut colored body with a foamy tan cap on top. The aroma is amassed with dark fruits and assorted nuts. Notes of: plums, dates, figs, cashew, Brazilian nuts, and almond. The flavor is rather chocolaty; it’s actually very nice! Long suggestions of chocolate and coconut, I even find huge hints of vanilla in here. It’s odd because this beer has a very unique balance of bitter sweet. There is a full-size note of tartness that is found right in the middle of the palate sensations.. but sweet and smoky hints of maple syrup in beginning and finish. The palate has a pretty velvety texture and there is a sweet chocolate covered coffee bean finish.
Overall I am pleasantly surprised to find that this beer does not suck donkey ass like I thought it was going to. I had 8 months of buyers remorse since paying $15 for his bottle, and now I can finally let it go….. This is pretty damn tasty!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUL 26, 2004
Caramel brown hue with ruby highlights an presented a thick creamy tan head and outstanding lace. Very smoky and mocha aroma with hints of dry apples, light piney hops, and dusty yeast esters. The taste is sweet and lactic milk chocolate with roasted grain background. Fruity (cherry and prune) midsection leads to a smoky and lightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is lush and lively with a crisp bite towards finish. Worth $14-20? Nope, not even close. I do think it’s worth a try if you can partake of someone elses purchase. Too much chocolate and not enough bock.