overall

RATINGS: 1257   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Samuel Adams® partnered with Scharffen Berger Chocolate to develop their newest innovation, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock. Tettnang Tettnanger and Spalt hops were hand-selected from the world’s oldest growing area and combined with a complex selection of malts including two row Pale, Munich and caramel to create a rich and satisfying brew. This dark beer has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate. The chocolatiers at Scharffen Berger crafted an exclusive blend of chocolate for Samuel Adams® made with cocoa beans from Ghana called forastero. Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock was aged on a bed of this chocolate to create its unique layers of flavor. As the beer matured, the fruity, tart, earthy and chocolate aromas were infused into the liquid to give the brew a complex, full-bodied taste with a velvety finish. A hint of vanilla was added to meld the symphony of flavors together. Due to legal restrictions, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock can not be sold in the states of Alabama, Louisiana, and Utah.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
5000 (6300) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - MAY 30, 2004
Bottle pours dark brown with ruby highlights, frothy off-white head, with average lacing.   Slight aroma of dry cocoa and hints of caramel.   Flavor is slightly malty, a bit nutty, but also exibits some very mild chocolate notes.   As it warms the chocolate becomes more evident.   Finishes slightly chocolatey with more caramel.   Not bad at all, but not complex enough to be considered fantastic.   Decent body, smooth mouthfeel, but bad on the wallet.   Thanks goes out to 123456green for the trade!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JoeM500 (1907) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAY 19, 2004
I’ve never been so bored with a $15 bottle of beer! It has some nice roasty, fancy chocolate notes in the nose, but once it hits the lips, all the fanciness is gone. Very bland, except for a faint roastiness, reminiscent of old coffee with chocolate flavored creamer. No complexity noted, just a bland bock with those added chocolate hints. Yawn. Can I return the rest of this for a partial return?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Darkover (1528) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 15, 2004
Dark amber/brown color with a beige head. Aroma of roast and chocolate. Chocolate flavor:) Thick creamy, milky body. Really good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Art or Beer ’04: Beautiful amber color with ruby red. Aroma of sweet chocolate with a bit of bitterness. Taste has coffee hints with a touch of hops, but mostly creamy thick chocolate. This is by far my favorite Sam Adams beer. It’s not something I would want a lot of, but it’s a perfect desert beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Pours a reddish brown color. Strong chocolate aroma, and the flavor is dominated by chocolate, the bock takes a back seat but provides a solid background. I think this may be the best use of chocolate I’ve tasted in a beer. Thick rich and milky. This has a deep embedded real cocoa flavor. Dessert. Maybe Sam’s best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 4, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2004 Sampled a bottle of the first bottling from my cellar. This is a chocolate lovers dream. Who needs Hersheys syrup! Ok, its my 50th and I went for a gimmicky beer. I was pleasantly surprised with this beverage. The pour was slightly undercarbonated. I think I served it cooler than it should be. It was a nice dark red color in the glass. Aromas of chocolate permiated the air. Extremely smooth, really tastes like it smells. On the sweet side, slight malt and chocolate chocolate chocolate. It may cost alot, but I feel it is well worth it. I have never experienced a beer like this before (Rogue choco stout is closest).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 4, 2004
This brew pours with a very dark brown body topped by a thick head with a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is slightly sweet yet bitter and chocolatey with a slight maltiness. Not all that impressive. The flavor is sweet, chocolatey and caramelly. Tastes like a chocolate candy, which, I guess, is what they were trying to do. It’s actually not that bad. Medium to full bodied, smooth and slightly dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dogbrick (9456) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2004
Hefty price tag on this one but it is a pretty good beer. Pours a dark brown color with a nice ruby glow. Medium thick beige head that lasted a little while, and thin lacing. The aroma is chocolate of course, with a roasted character to it. Medium body with a lot of chocolate in the flavor but it doesn’t become annoying. Malt and roasted coffee are present here and there too. The finish reminded me of a brown cow, which is like a Boston Cooler (root beer blended with ice cream) but with chocolate ice cream. I think you are paying a premium on the packaging on this one, but it works as a one-off for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - APR 27, 2004
Amazing color, really dark red, but when held up to the light was a nice red color. The dark chocolate taste to this was exceptional.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - APR 26, 2004
(singing)"The world looks mighty good to me, cause tootsie roll is in my drink, whenever I sip me beer me think, it becomes a tootsie roll to me".(o.k. stop singing) This is an interesting brew. A nice mellow bock with chocolate undertones a rich color and semi-sweet finish. Its aroma didn't dazzle me, but overall I found the whole concoction to be quite pleasing.