overall

RATINGS: 253   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
Sam Adams has just released 4 beer in the brewery’s new Small Batch Series, and aren’t stopping there. Cinder Bock looks to join the crew next year. Cinder is billed as a “rauchbock” or smoke bock. Unusual and playful this half-breed brew begins with a rush of smoky, almost savory, aromas and flavors. The distinctive campfire smokiness of a rauchbier lingers and beings to reveal the rich and velvety malt smoothness of a double bock with a notes of toffee and caramel. This roguish brew transforms from its bold start to a hearty and satisfying finish.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
gym399 (26) - Florida, USA - SEP 8, 2013
Because I absolutely love Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock I was really excited to try this a year or two ago. I tried it and hated it so much that I figured I had a bad bottle so I tried it again this weekend. It may have gotten worse. Weird bitterness with not nearly enough smokiness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
BOSSbrewer (1420) - Arkansas, USA - JUL 11, 2013
Yuck. Beer was ranked with a different program and BeerBuddy would not let me import my information.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lunkie (1392) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - JUL 7, 2013
Rich roast malt chocolate aroma. Dark brown colour with good head and lacing. Malt nutty chocolate flavour. Smooth long lingering palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Fatehunter (1178) - Corbett, Oregon, USA - JUN 5, 2013
Looking great with three fingers of tan head on a cloudy, reddish brown colored body. The aroma has a lot of smoke and a little anise and black licorice. Nice if you like that. The taste is quite sweet all the way through, a touch of smoke with burnt wood middle to end, fairly complex with good balance. The texture is soft, slightly sticky with low to moderate carbonation. Pretty good overall, but a bit too sweet for my taste. I enjoyed the smoke though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kramer (4858) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2013
Bottle. Pours a clear ruby amber body with a one finger frothy off-white head that faded to a thin covering. The nose is nicely smoky with a campfire quality to it. A slightly heavy sweet malt base below. The flavor is a little more focused on the ’Bock’ qualities than the smoke. Sweet and richly malty with lots of caramel notes. The smoke comes out more towards the finish. I wish the smoke were a bit more aggressive and up-front. Medium bodied, rather smooth and almost chewy with soft minimal carbonation. This one is pretty decent. Not among my favorite for the style, but not a bad effort.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
yesyouam (1016) - Fairport, New York, USA - MAY 5, 2013
Samuel Adams Cinder Bock is a very clear, dense, copper beer with a soft, fluffy, yellowed foam that has great staying power. It’s mostly smoke in the aroma, but a tart malt is detected as well. It smells a touch sweet. It’s very full bodied and smooth with a creamy, chewy finish. The flavor is much like the the aroma: smoke and tart malt. There’s a slightly sweet, herbal flavor that’s somewhere between cola and a cough drop. Smoke is the dominant flavor here. When combined with the malt, it comes off as umami. There’s a sort of salmiakki aftertaste. This is reasonably bold and complex. It’s a sipping beer with a lot of character. There are subtleties to it, but the overall flavor is quite bold.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Belgian22 (17) - Deerfield, Massachusetts, USA - APR 30, 2013
After spotting this while up in Maine for the weekend, I grabbed one. When I looked it up, the first review gave me a laugh, so I’m still chuckling over the aroma of ’beggin’ strips.’ That said, yes, I can see where that may be slightly possible, but for me this is much more reminiscent of my standby doppel from Ayinger. Sure it’s even sweeter and not quite as balanced, but for who it’s made by I have to say this isn’t bad. Firm, somewhat lively carbonation, heavier mouthfeel, plenty of dough and malt all day. I think the nose and color are the strongest qualities here. Overall, not too subtle, but absolutely worth a go, especially at $6 for 22oz.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
flywatt (24) - East Haven, Connecticut, USA - MAR 23, 2013
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2013 This could be the weirdest rating ever..... But my brother and I both agree that the aroma was consistent with Beggin Strips dog treats. That being said, I always wondered what that delicious meat candy taste like. Now, I got the feeling I know.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mbgrayson (520) - Anaconda, Montana, USA - MAR 17, 2013
Pours a dark amber, with a whitish tan head. Aroma is malty with sweet notes of caramel. Taste is rich and complex, with lots of malty sweetness. Smooth and quite drinkable. I really like this one. Thumbs way up!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
adeishaqra (40) - - MAR 14, 2013
Fantastic bock. Very Smokey flavor that lingers on the palate. You taste the smoked ham(win!) Finishes with a subtle hoppyness. Aroma is well balanced with a strong Smokey character. You’re definitely at a barbecue with this one.