overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1114   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.49   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Samuel Adams® Cranberry Lambic is a fruit beer that draws its flavor not just from the cranberries it is brewed with, but also from the unique fermentation character imparted by the rare wild yeast strain. The result is a flavor rich in fruitiness and reminiscent of cranberries and bananas, cloves and nutmeg. The yeast fermentation also will create a slight sourness on the sides of the palate, a signature of the original Lambic style which, with the subtle cereal note from the wheat malt, remind its drinker that, as fruity a beer as this is, it is still a beer.

ericmoss3799 (73) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - OCT 11, 2001
I loved the taste and I look foward to it every holiday season. I wish it was made year round.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Kodos (200) - USA - SEP 25, 2001
Too sour and dry. Not enough cranberry in the flavor. Try a true Lambic. This disappoints!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
JessterCPA (130) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - SEP 11, 2001
Sour? Yes but I think that with the cranberry flavor, that was planned. Probably the most un-fruit fruit beer I have had. Not bad with food, especially spicy.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
John Wentworth99 (10) - CANADA - SEP 3, 2001
The first time I tried this beer it was amazing. Sveral others during its seasonal run proved equally remarkable. The following year, every one I had tasted foul. The third year a friend gave me one, which I cautiously tried. Excellent again. The following year, back to bad. Seems to be a trend. Don’t drink it anymore, tired of keeping track of the ’good’ years and inconsistent tastes. Good or bad, more than two can cause a sour stomach. A disappointment from an otherwise fantastic brewer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2514) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - APR 2, 2001
Dry and tart, but lacking the punch, funkiness, or complexity of a true lambic. Still, its relative clean flavor makes it a fairly easy drinking beer with a mild fruity flavor that can appeal to many. Weird smell, though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - FEB 20, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2005 Very tart and acidic. If you don’t like cranberries, stay away. This is not something to make your main beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
britab99 (65) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - JAN 5, 2001
The name is deceiving...definately not a lambic. Good flavored wheat/fruit beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
young (45) - Georgia, USA - JAN 2, 2001
A good sour, and tart fruit beer, but not a lambic.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
billb (244) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - JAN 1, 2001
This is not truly a lambic and from the taste, that is apparent. It has lambic qualities to a degree, the sourness is there, but not fruity enough. I’d say this is more like a cranberry ale. Pleasant mouthfeel and smooth finish, worth having.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
Aubrey (3430) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 22, 2000
Looking at the other ratings, I’m wondering about the bottle (or batch) that I sampled. I found it somewhat astringent and sour. A little too ’unripe’ if you ask me. It also tasted somewhat medicine-like. I didn’t like it very much; no disrespect to Jim Koch, just my opinion.