overall

RATINGS: 1637   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Samuel Adams® Cream Stout is a true cream stout, balancing body and sweetness with the natural spiciness of grain and hand selected English hops. Our Brewers use generous portions of roasted chocolate and caramel malts as well as unroasted barley to impart a fullness of body, a roasty malt character and rich, creamy head. Its dark mahogany color make it almost as easy on the eyes as it is on the palate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rock8899 (3) - Ohio, USA - OCT 5, 2002 does not count
Excellent beer, this is one of my all time favorites. It s a very smooth tasting beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PTomkinson (50) - Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2002
Nice smokey, chocolately, coffee-like flavor. Quite sweet though. A real dessert beer. Samuel Adams makes solid, consistently enjoyable beers. I’ve yet to really be disappointed with a S Adams.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jaymobrown (1812) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 3, 2002
An average stout at best. Fairly good for what’s readily available, but there are many better stouts to be had. Tastes like rubber bands.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 2, 2002
Pretty good stuff. Semi-sweet and pretty rich. There’s so many incredible breweries out there nowadays that even a beer as good as this can’t stand out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - SEP 26, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2003 I have a soft spot for this one. I no longer buy it, because I can no longer find it fresh. If I had to bet, I would say that this one is going to be discontinued. The body is certainly light for a stout, but the flavor is fine. A ton of chocolate malt cut nicely by grain astringency and a bit of fruit. The hops work well in the nose and in the flavor profile. Probably my favorite of this brewery's offerings. Side Note: I recently found one of these in my aunt's refrigerator that she had bought for me several years ago. The expiration date was August 1996. I sampled it and was amazed to find the flavor was pretty good--no noticeable flaws or really any deterioration. Actually, the various dark grain flavors seem to have integrated more over time. Curious.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Slovak34 (99) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 25, 2002
This is a nice stout. It is probably one of Sam Adams better beers. It might be a little too sweet for many though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Paulslepicka (4) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 23, 2002 does not count

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 13, 2002
One of Samuel Smith’s better efforts I think. Poured a dark brown with a tan head that diminished after a couple minuted, and left just a little lacing. Roasted coffee flavors but with sweetness balancing the bitter. Almost too much sweetness for me, but certainly drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sethdude (706) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 6, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2003 Kinda like someone poured some Guinness in my Boulevard Bully Porter, Then poured in some shitty wine to add sweetness. I've had much worse, but I've also had much better.Re-Rate: The last example I had seems to have been a little off, because this one is tolerable. Smells like coffee, dark fruit. Tastes like coffe, molasses, and chocolate malts. A thin hop presence makes itself known on the end. Still a little metallic, but much better this time around.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - SEP 5, 2002
An OK stout. A little heavy on the bittery diacetyl. Doesn’t come close to Bells Double Cream. However, this beer is good and very drinkable. Similar to guiness with a spike of sweetness. I’d like to try the draft version or even a nitro version.