overall

RATINGS: 1208   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Samuel Adams Holiday Porter is a full-flavored porter inspired by the famous drink of London’s Victorian era luggage porters. Brewed with generous portions of Caramel, Munich and Chocolate malt, this hearty porter finishes with traditional English Fuggles and East Kent Goldings. Cheers!
Calories = 212 per 12 oz.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
whistlebird (22) - USA - FEB 4, 2006
great porter one of the best i’ve had from a micro.black chocolate taste dark color everything you could want in a winter brew come on jim put it in a sixer

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ndel40 (22) - Grayslake, Illinois, USA - DEC 31, 2010
’One of my favorites during the holidays! Deep, rich color with smooth roll down the throat. Gently lingers on the back of the palate. Overall, very full bodied, wealth of flavor.....great holiday beer!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kosh (20) - Georgia, USA - NOV 11, 2004
not my idea of a holiday brew at all. that said it’s not a bad beer. a bit thin but nice hops and quite refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jberti (19) - Albany, New York, USA - DEC 1, 2007
Deep dark pour with light white head. Smokey carmel malt smell. Very nice combination of roasted malt, caramell, and rich coffee hops. A bite at the end which leaves a nice taste on the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Arkolm (19) - USA - JAN 4, 2011
Poured from a bottle at cellar temperature into a tumbler. Dark coffee color with significant head and some lacing. Coffee/chocolate/roast scents. Taste is more of the same without much additional complexity. Medium body; lighter than I would have preferred.

For some reason I was expecting more roast/nut flavor. There is a bit of hops that comes through, but nothing memorable.

To be fair this is the third different beer so I promise to re-review this soon with a cleaner palate -- however I will clearly say this is not nearly as good as either Anchor Porter or Founders Porter - my normal porters so maybe I’m spoiled. I only add this because I think if this wasn’t one of my favourite styles (and thus most explored) I would have rated it higher. Not a bad introduction into dark ales if you’ve only done the light beers so far.

Again Sam Adams has impressed me. I think they must be the best American Macrobrewer by far.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wiszard (19) - Derry, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2012
Pours from the bottle a deep chocolate brown with a nice long lasting tan head. Great lively carbonation. Decent aroma. Great Taste. I really like this porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kyleisraaddd (19) - Marble Falls, Texas, USA - DEC 5, 2009
This was actually my first porter. Pours very dark, not as much head as I was expecting. Darker head as well. Very bitter, kind of harsh. Not too bad, but definitely nothing special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wattsdog (17) - Maryland, USA - DEC 26, 2005
A dark black color with a big tan head. Has a malt aroma with a hint of chocolate in it. Has a rich sweet taste of chocolate and other spices to it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
barleyologist (16) - ECV, California, USA - JAN 23, 2006
There was too many spices and zing to this beer to enjpy, based on everyone elses ranking it sounds like I got a bad batch Samuel Adams is my favorite brewery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
loeffler (16) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 21, 2008
Poured with a rusty chocolate head. Flavor was typical of a porter but had apparent caramel and creaminess. Very sharp on the palate for a porter. Not very balanced either with definite alcohol taste and a slick oily mouthfeel.