RATINGS: 1041   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
Our take on the stout brewed by 18th century English brewers for the Russian Imperial Court of Catherine II. The special malted barley in this intense and massive brew delivers rich flavors like dark chocolate, coffee and anise.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SPDickerman (1191) - Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2011
Pours pitch black with small chocolate colored foam. Smells roasted and chocolate malt with touches of coffee. Taste follows the nose perfectly, chocolate and coffee and strong roasted malts. Full-bodied with a slick texture and very soft mouth-carbonation, Samuel Adams Imperial Stout finishes with dry roastiness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (6837) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 2, 2009
Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured thick, black and oily with a large very dark brown head. The aroma was a lovely m is of strong sweet malts, toastiness, chocolate, vanilla and light fruity hops. The aroma was toasty and very malty with light bitter cocoa, fruity hops and ripe dark fruits. The finish was long toasty cocoa and fruits. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy. Wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - JUL 13, 2009
Black pour...Small brown head...Thick and rich...Chocolate flavor and long malty coffeeish finish...Creamy...Roasty...Excellent...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
emgesp (10) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - JUL 17, 2009
Attention Elitists, stop giving this great beer a lower score just for the fact it’s brewed under Sam Adam’s. Appearance: This pours pitch black with a deep tan head. Good lacing too. Aroma: Dark Fruits, Red Wine, Cocoa, smoke and a hint of herbal hops. Flavor: Smoke, Espresso, Dark fruits and a little alcohol burn in the finish. A very complex imperial stout and in my opinion more so than North Coast’s Old Rasputin. Palate: Nice medium/heavy mouthfeel that leaves a sticky residue that clings on the lips. A sipper beer for sure. This is an amazing beer and I bet if it had a different label on it (e.g. Dogfish Head) it wouldn’t have all the prejudice feelings towards it. Guys get off your high horses and give this great beer the credit and respect it deserves

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dpento1 (236) - Virginia, USA - SEP 26, 2010
Pours BLACK with a small light brown head. It has a sweet malty aroma with coffee and chocolate. The Flavor has some dried fruits, chocolate, and espresso flavor. The finish is very sweet and full bodied!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NeoHippie2 (1074) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 29, 2012
A really nice imperial stout. Pours black as night into the glass with a tan head. Nice lacing on the glass too. Nose has coffee, cocoa, black strap molasses, and toasted malts. So complex on the palate as well with all that wonderful toasty character coming out. 9.2abv as well and I don’t taste any sharp alcoholic bite to this either. Finish is long and rich. Well done Sammy A, well done.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bamaboy1975 (242) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - JUL 26, 2013
I am not a stout drinker. Just a matter of personal preference. Well that is changing as of tonigh. I found a couple of bottles in our collection/stash my wife must have picked up at some time and I tried a bottle w/o even knowing I was chilling a stout until I poured it. What a great rich taste without being heavy or over powering as the few other stouts I tried in my life. The cocoa taste is excellent. Guess what, I will know be a stout drinker with this as my staple mixed in with my IPA's etc. Try this beer my friends it is really good! I am hunting for some more tomorrow. Me! A stout who would have figured! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TorbenJensen (1464) - Valby, DENMARK - AUG 11, 2016
Already by pouring I’m pretty sure I’ve done a really good buy. It is pitch black, thick and oily, and it leaves a nice creamy nougat colored foam as slowly sinking but retains approximately 2-3 mm great foam on the surface. Exciting delicate aroma of hard roasted malt, licorice and dark chocolate. The taste is licorice, a little coffee, lots of hard roasted malt aftertaste of dark caramel. Furthermore, it offers a slight spicy flavor of anise and a slight taste of burnt coal with weak smoke. It is a very complex stout which has everything a solid and strong stout should have. I had really the feeling from the start, partly because Samuel Adams series is usually very fine beers and partly because the strength is 9.2%. The alcohol is not disturbing the flavors, but I senses heat and a slight tingling in the mouth because of the strength. The carbonation is soft and comfortable, and the aftertaste long and tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
tysongillmore (362) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 21, 2015
I didn't take any extra notes when I tried this beer for the first time but I'm gonna try it again and update my comments. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mariuspoenari (1689) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - DEC 13, 2015
Pitch black pour, visibly thick, with a dark espresso head that is slow to rise to the surface. Smells like roasted malts, dark cherries, walnuts, lactose and scotch whiskey. Promising! The taste doesn’t disappoint - dried fruit (figs, raisins) covered in dark chocolate, freshly roasted coffee beans, vanilla, oak. A warm spicy aftertaste with notes of pepper and anise. Super thick mouthfeel, a bit choking at times, but quite pleasant. No carbonation present.