Samuel Adams LongShot Boysenberry Wheat

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 284   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 160   ABV: 5.35%
Created by Ken Smith, Colorado. Ken describes his brew as having "a refreshing light taste and cereal crispness from the wheat malt." This unfiltered ale has a rich, fresh fruitiness balanced by a citrus note from the Noble hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cainede (9) - DuBois, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 8, 2008 does not count
One of the best, if not the best, fruit flavored beers Iíve ever had. A natural berry taste perfectly balanced.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bboven (103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - APR 1, 2007
The aroma on this is fantastic; one of the best Iíve ever smelled. a great sweet/sour taste hit you at the back of the mouth if you breathe right, as this is a very aromatically driven beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SSKD814 (854) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 5, 2010
Appearance-golden yellow body with dark orange cloudiness thick white head pours down and leaves a lace that sticks with the glass all the way down Smell-a heavenly aroma of berries, yeast, and of course wheat Taste- a good blend of berries wheat and yeast with a bittersweet aftertaste Mouthfeel- medium body with above average carbonation This is one of the best bottled beers I have had and the strong point is definately its smell Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 03-13-2007 04:34:05

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
aarossell (151) - Grandville, Michigan, USA - JAN 21, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2007 bottle from Sicilianoís Market. Very very delicious and fantastic beer. Golden color, creamy white head, smooth bubbly palate, immediate sweet fruity berry flavor, taste of crisp ceral wheat malts, fresh boysenberry flavor, light sugary sweetness finish, small citrusy finish. Amazing. Will have to buy fresh again soon!!....second bottle reminded me of froot loops...a bit. which might be an ugly description for some, but I like. (Light froot loops. heh)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 2, 2007
This offering from Sam Adams comes from the Longshot competition put out by SA which was a great idea. The body pours a cloudy dark gold on top with a slight honey colored botttom. The head is strong and never waivers from this offering which is fluffly and white. The aroma is boysenberry, wheat, sour fruit, candy, delicious and summery aroma. The feel on the palate is light and carbonated, the taste is very sweet, fruity, almost juice like in quality followed by just enough bitterness to balance that out but still on the sweet side. The finish is so smooth I could easily have a 6-pack of this I hope SA releases this in 6-packs for the summer cause this would be in my fridge all summer. This is my first offering from this longshot 6-pack and if this is any indication of whats to come then bring it on!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 30, 2007
Has an aroma of vanilla and raspberry. This is by far my favorite of the longshots this year. So tasty and flavorful, this beer makes me happy to be an american.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (7824) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2007
Put me in the corner that loves this one. It isnít often that a new beer excites me, but this one wowed me. The aroma should be used as a benchmark for fruit beers (or any beer, for that matter). I could sniff this all day long. The pour is hazy dark straw colored with a fluffy 2-finger whitish head. The aroma, my God, the aroma is strong boysenberry, perfumy florals, and pale malt. Amazing. The taste is freshly picked boysenberries, plump full of water and with maximum sweetness, plus some hopcitrus and pale malt that balance the berries nicely. Complex, pretty rich palate, that left me wanting more and more. I hope this becomes a regular beer for SA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - APR 10, 2007
From a 12 oz. distinctive embossed bottle with a notched freshness date along the left side of front label, a blurb on the back label, sampled at cellar temperature in a pint glass. Poured a hazy orangey golden with a frothy, rocky, bubbly topped white head, good retention, small amount of laced sticking. Big tart berry aroma with powdery graininess, a light whiff of cereal, very fresh smelling. Good even carbonation and a crisp, dryish, velvety smooth medium bodied mouthfeel. From the aroma I worried that this was going to be a berry bomb, but thankfully itís not, quite balanced, a good wheaty graininess, softly tart berries, citrus hops that add a nice sourness to the tart sweetness, and a dryish grainy finish with the berries lingering in the palate. Normally Iím not a fan of fruit beers, but this has a balanced taste and creamy body, well done, highly quaffable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 28, 2007
I found the Longshot winners the other, so I figured I would pick it up. The Boysnberry poured a golden yellow color with a small white head. I have never tasted a boysenberry, so I cannot say it smells like a boysenberry. The smell reminded me a lot of raspberry and blueberry, a little combined. I assume this is a boysenberry smell. Very fruit smell. Smell is pretty wonderful. The taste was pretty good as well. I didnít think I would be a fan of this beer, but itís pretty darn good. I didnít think a beer with this fruity smell would be quite as enjoyable. I feel the taste is a little underwhelming, but still very good. The smell really brings this beer to life, but the taste is a bit of a let down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigBen2120 (688) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 29, 2007
12oz bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Slightly murky light yellow body with a quarter inch of white head. Smells like sweet berries (presumably boysenberry), reminds me of a fruit snack. Berry sweetness dominates the flavor, but does not overwealm. Reminds me in some ways of a berry soda, but with a fuller (but still rather light) body. Appart from being a bit one-dimensional, this beer is actually really enjoyable and extremely drinkable. Definitely looking forward to the other bottle I have from the Long Shot sixpack, and wouldnít stop me from buying the pack again.