Samuel Adams LongShot Weizenbock

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 334   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Created by Rodney Kibzey, Illinois Rodney describes his wonderfully complex brew as "deep amber in color with a full creamy body and a dark fruit and clove aroma." This traditional Bavarian style brew took Rodney a few batches to perfect, but the taste is worth all of his hard work.

jclu37 (4) - USA - FEB 28, 2008 does not count
Love this beer. I hope they market it more. I don’t like thinking that it is a "limited time" beer

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SSSteve (3736) - - FEB 16, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 21, 2009 deep dark cloudy opaque brown beer that looks like mud. the head is large, creamy and tan. aroma of clove, banana, burnt toffee, and bubblegum. flavor is very much the same and is loaded with spices(clove, cinnamon), brown sugar, and overripe bananas. nice full bodied palate with a creamy texture. wow, this really is impressive stuff! --re-rate-- 9/20/09. damn this an unbelievably good beer. it has taken on a burnt marshmallow flavor after almost 2 years. the palate has become extremely full and smooth. wow is about all i can say. great beer to cellar. i’m sad that i didn’t save more of this. quite possibly my favorite beer of all time.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RJKChicago (2) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2008 does not count
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2008 OKay, time for thee author to chim in. Thanks for all the Great Comments, I’m glad you guys really like it. I think Sam Adams did a Great Job at replicating my Beer. I feel very honored and lucky to have my beer being shared with everyone. Cheers!! Rodney

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mmmbeer (1235) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 15, 2008
12 oz. bottle poured into my trusty stein- poured a non transparent almost black body, medium carbonation, one finger head disssolved to half a finger thick, some lacing. Aroma of cloves, bananas, and a hint of roasted wheat (very hard to create!). Hits the mouth with a medium body, ALOT of spices and slowly roasted malts hit the tongue, finish leaves you begging for more. I’ll guarandamntee those that put down the macros of the USA will have it on their "want list" in 3-6 months. Too bad I plan on buying up the rest from local stores near me- it’s going to cost you kids...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2192) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAR 26, 2008
Firstly, I must say I love the Long Shot concept that Sam Adams came up with. SA continues to impress me with the quality and breadth of their products and their innovation. This brew clearly has the banana esters down. Doesn’t have any roasted malt aspect in the nose that you might expect from a Weizenbock. Murky blackish brown. Looks not too dissimilar to a black and tan, with the darker hues toward the top of the glass. Thin, creamyt tan head. You know, so often people describe weissbiers as having banana and clove in the aroma, and I always had trouble detecting the clove. Hey, I smoked clove cigarettes when I was a teen, so I should know what clove is. This is the first brew where I can distinctly TASTE clove. For that, and for an eminently drinkable and worthy representation of the weizenbock style, I salute and salud Rodney Kibzey. Excellent lace. Absolutely no flaws, lots of flavor and a pleasure to drink. I bought this beer at the suggestion of tennisjoel and he steered me the right direction. Well rated, but underrated IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
shrubber85 (7314) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - SEP 28, 2008
Bottle. Sweet peach/banana, clove and wheat malt with just a hint of alcohol. Cloudy orange-brown color with small head. Sweet ripe banana/peach, clove, and wheat malt flavor. Light alcohol aftertaste. A spectacular beer - they really need to make this a regular beer. I just automatically expect that US Weizens won’t match German ones but this is one that not only stands up to the style but exceeds my expectations. Thank God I found this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dyetube (1181) - McKinney, Texas, USA - FEB 15, 2008
This beer pours a dark cloudy brown with a medium tan head that really stays well! The aromas are bananas, cloves, figs and a floral bouquet. Wow this thing is complex! And tasty too! Medium body with banans, cloves and maybe licorice in there? This is an extremely well crafted beer. Rodney nailed this one right on the head! Go and grab one, quit reading! Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - FEB 19, 2008
Pours a dreary dingy pale brown color with an excellent head that lasts. Aromas are strong with cooked medicinals. Full nectar with a slightly creamy texture. Big medicine and banana gum spice dominate this brew with a very gentle bittering component on the finish. Good job man, I like it better than Schneider.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 28, 2008
Pours a very dark brown, cloudy, with a huge creamy off-white head. This looks brilliant. Aroma hits you in the face with pungent smoke, burnt grass, hay, tons of clove, mild banana as it warms, and maybe a slight vinousness. Flavor is equally heavy on cloves, subtle smokiness, a dry grassy taste, toasty and subtly chocolate malt, pretty dry flavors overall. Very spicy and pungent. Finishes lightly bitter and almost roasty, grassy hop and clove flavor, pretty dry too. Nice creamy body too, substantially chewy and full without being heavy. I still prefer Aventinus because of it’s slightly sweeter slant, but this is superb. I love the pungent smoky yeast and clove notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hodgey1 (9) - Edinboro, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2008 does not count
Aroma is wonderfully fruity with Banana most prevalent. Color is dark copper. Flavor is very interesting caramel and malty. This beer is truly excellent! It has taken position as one of my favorite beers.