overall

RATINGS: 1332   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 157   ABV: 5.24%
2009 Beer Lover’s Choice Contestant - Sample A. Similar to a traditional Czech Pilsner, our Samuel Adams Pils is brewed with a blend of 5 Noble Hop varieties from each of the world’s only remaining Noble Hop growing regions. The spicy, herbal and citrus hop character is well balanced by the Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt, adding honeyed malt character and full body without sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HonkeyBra (3345) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - JAN 8, 2010
Golden pourr with white head. big aroma of hops, and clean lager malt. Flavor is strong, dry, leafy hops, and pils malt. Finishes hoppy and malty. Hops dominate this one for a lager. Pretty impressive compared to their former crappy spring beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrRain (472) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 8, 2010
12oz bottle purchased as part of a variety pack at my local grocery store. This beer is rated in an English pint. SANP pours beautifully with a great lager hue of yellow, a large fluffy white head and little rising bubbles of happiness. The nose is reminiscent of a Kolsch but has a nice citrus and herbal hop aroma. It smells wonderful and refreshing. This beer has a nice soft body with a great Pils taste. I know, I sound like a Sam Adams commercial but this is a really great beer. I’m VERY happy with it. The finish is tasty and contains light grains and grass.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hero12 (180) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 7, 2010
12oz bottle pours a dark golden color with a two finger, white head. Soft, sour nose of citrus/hops. Citrus, almost lemon flavor, would make a great summer beer. Light bodied with an average amount of carbonation. Overall a very enjoyable beer. I can see myself sitting by the lake enjoying a Noble Pils in the sun.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SODAK14 (281) - Rapid City, South Dakota, USA - JAN 6, 2010
This was a decent pour. For some reason I was expecting a bit more citrus but to me less citrus is more most of the time. Anyway this was a good beer though nothing outstanding. Sam Adams is always trying just may have missed he mark a little here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
redsox8945 (11) - Chicopee, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 5, 2010
Bottle from Brewmaster’s collection. Copper pour with a very frothy thick head. light body, soft carbonation, bitter, very smooth finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
junon (410) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - JAN 5, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2010 It has a slight copper hue to the classic Pilsner gold. I think its quite vegetal in aroma. Flavour is slightly buttery initially but turns real crisp the rest way through. Maybe even a bit of pumpkin in there. Good stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
branspra (293) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JAN 4, 2010
Bottle. Pours a crystal clear light amber color with a moderately sized white head. Lacing is below average and the head dissipates quickly. Aromas of spruce, hay, and slight woodiness. Mouthfeel is lively initially, crisp throughout, and then a soft finish that was very pleasing. Tastes of caramel, floral, and ginger to finish. A very good beer that I will be purchasing again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - JAN 4, 2010
Not sure where they get the "5" Noble Hop varieties from, since there technically are only 4 true varieties. Nevertheless, this is a very welcome addition to Sammy’s lager lineup. This one is the black sheep of the bunch, seeing as it is fizzy and yellow rather than the typical amber (ahem - "Boston") lager that they market. The Weyermann malt is awesome. I enjoy their malts in homebrews and this pilsener malt in this one is in perfect order with its honey-sweet flavor and graham-cracker finish. This part of the beer is so damn good that it keeps me liking this beer. They problem with this beer is that it neither has the floral aroma nor soft flavor of saaz. I mean, it’s there but it’s just so overpowered by something else that it’s almost hard to taste it. It’s simply not balanced enough to be excellent. I *swear* that I taste cascade in here, but it could be Hallertau. But it just tastes wrong in this beer and provides a bittering that tastes and smells out of place. This is an example of taking a good thing and ruining it. The lemony grapefruity hops are fine for American beers, but seem out of place here... Just ever so slightly over the top. It does seem to finish a bit better as the glass warms though... Or maybe I’ve just had a few of them and it’s starting to grow on me a bit more. Don’t get me wrong. I am a hop-head and I like lots of hops, but when I think of a Czech pils, there is just something here that doesn’t quite mesh up. I must admit though... Aside from the complaints I have with the hops, this is a pretty good attempt at a Czech-styled pils. Much better than most American brewers. If this weren’t only a seasonal, I’d pick this one up every once in a while. But for my pils-fix, I’ll be sticking with Urquell, which is always fantastic in my book. If Sam Adams would just dump the excessive herbal hop blend and let the Saaz come out an play, they’d probably have a winner here.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
drowland (5996) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - JAN 3, 2010
12oz bottle (2009) into a pils glass. The pour is clear apple-juice yellow/brown with a small creamy white head that goes away quick. The aroma is clean pils malt and light fruity lager yeast with a dash of citrus. The flavor is simple, clean, and malty, almost like a macro, but then a hop finish lingers with a citrusy dryness to remind you of what you’re drinking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jodyperkins (78) - Mississippi, USA - JAN 3, 2010
Poured from bottle. Very citrusy hop notes in the aroma. Clear golden appearance with minimal carbonation. Very frothy white head. Sweet taste gives away to mild bitterness. Medium body with a creamy texture, bitter finish. Very different from other pilsners I’ve had. Much different than one that’s advertised as "triple hops brewed" whatever that means. This ones great - probably not what most would think of a pilsner, however.