overall

RATINGS: 295   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This ancient Finnish-style brew dates back to the 1500s as one of the oldest continuously brewed styles. Deep amber in color, this rugged brewís distinctive aroma and flavor comes from aging on a bed of juniper berries. The herbal, woodsy, and ripe citrus character of the juniper enlivens a sturdy and smooth malt backbone for a fresh and flavorful brew. At Samuel Adams we love experimenting, This series of limited edition brews represents some of our favorite small batch creations.

cooplander's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cooplander (543) - Florida, USA - MAR 19, 2013
amber color, aroma of caramel, sweet malt, slight dark fruits, same flavors, interesting brew

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
zach8270 (3472) - Henrietta, New York, USA - JUN 26, 2014
(bottle - 22 oz) Copper pour with a ton of tan head. Fruity and herbal aroma with lots of, for me, off putting juniper notes. Flavor is sweet and bitter with lots of malt and way too much of that herbal and medicinal juniper flavor. Not for me.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
vicg12 (17) - - JUN 15, 2014
Me and my friend were required to brew a Sahti for a home brew competition we were entering, so we saw this on the shelf and decided to give it a try. I must say I was pleasantly surprised as I thought this beer was going to be awful. It pours in a dark gold murky color that is somewhere in between good and ugly. I really did not like the smell it was funky as hell. Medium-low head which is actually too much head for this style which is supposed to be served flat. Taste was of malty juniper with maybe a little spice from some rye grain. It was surprisingly refreshing and left a clean feeling in your mouth. This beer goes down super easy for something with a 7% ABV. There are some subtle hops detected, i think a noble verity, which I enjoyed and obviously increased the shelf life but again traditionally there is supposed to be no hops and the beer drank within a month after it is brewed, but I realize that would be a money losing endeavor for anywhere outside Finland. Also, I feel as though the flavor of this beer improved greatly as it began to warm. Give this beer a try it is totally different and pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
rdixon77 (711) - Georgia, USA - JUN 2, 2014
Catching up on weird old ticks. Nice dark­mahogany color. Right away you get a herby scent coming off a malty brew. The flavor is disappointing...mostly ‘cause there isn’t much (or at least not as much as I had hoped). Some burnt sugar, and, if you stretch, a woodsy taste. The juniper mostly comes through as a unfortunate skunky and not especially pleasing aftertaste. The whole feel is a little bit sticky sweet. However, as it warms, the juniper jumps out a bit more and balances better with the malts.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TXBadger (1389) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 19, 2014
Pours a darker amber color with off-white head. Some floral notes, earth, and cedary tones, also has plenty of juniper berry on the nose; follows onto the palate. Herbal is a good way to describe this, floral, close to a gin like experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zizzybalubba (1419) - Elizabeth City, North Carolina, USA - APR 18, 2014
22 oz. bottle from SoHo Organic Market, Elizabeth City, NC (Batch 1 which I am estimating to be approximately 2 years old at this point. Since the bottle suggests it can be aged I am going to proceed with a review of this one.) Dark brackish orange pour with a frothy off-white head. Juniper and brown sugar are at the forefront of the aroma. The flavor offers some wood, plenty of fruit (dates, raisin, orange peel), and a generous amount of toffee and brown sugar. It reminds me of a dubbel if I had to pick a style it most resembles (although the fruit, oak, and alcohol are much more present). Not sure how this was fresh or how it compares to other beers in this style, but I will likely try to seek more out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
nakedwhendrunk (2135) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - MAR 24, 2014
Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a dark red/brown body that gives an awesome foamy white one finger head. Some ringy lacing is left here and there. The smell seemed a bit complicated (wishing I bought another one to age and possibly see if any other smells develop). However, I do smell some honey and malty citrus aspects going on. As the beer warms, there is some syrupy/molassess thing going on - pretty good. The taste was about the same smells combined very nicely in the taste. I do notice the juniperberries as the beer warms. Thereís a slight weird resemblance to a scotch ale. The palate sat about a medium with some sharpness coming through here and there, but nothing bothersome. The alcohol is well hidden and makes the beer fairly drinkable. Overall, ok, so I like this beer (good appearance, good smells, decent taste and a pretty good mouthfeel) but I have nothing to judge it on. Iím pretty sure Iíd have it again, but probably next time Iíd buy two of them just so I can age one and taste one fairly immediately. In the meantime, Iím most likely going to seek out some other Sahtis just to compare.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DuffMan (6745) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 28, 2014
Bottle, shared with Parksy and Grippitis. Dark amber with golden highlights, clear, with a dense white head. Sweet caramel aroma, tea-like undertones. Flavours of caramel and an odd but agreeable sweet herbal character, like new spring spruce tips, maybe some clover, hard to sort out definitively. Medium bodied, quick finish. Interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
VTHopHead (1511) - Barre, Vermont, USA - FEB 16, 2014
22oz bottle - Pours a slightly reddish and darker amber in color with an off-white head that faded to a thin covering over the beer. Aroma is pretty sweet with some citrus hops and the juniper berries present. Flavor is way too sweet for me and heavy on the spices. Some lingering bitterness either from the hops or the spices... not my favorite.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DandyWolfFloyd (641) - Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 31, 2014
Aroma - aroma has sweet malts a sort of Grand Marnier about it. Doppelbock in nature as well. Some caramel must be present. Appearance - color is deep dark amber, clear, with a white head that crashes fast into a just a small halo Taste - itís sort of like doppelbocks and eisbocks Iíve had. In that itís sweet in that rich malt way. Itís got a little bitter as well. There is a somewhat freshening note as well that comes around kind of in-between your breathing - that must be the juniper, I only pick it up probably because I regularly enjoy gin & tonics and I recognize the juniper from that. Itís not overly noticeable you really have to feel it. Palate - the body is medium, the texture slick and thick. The carbonation is average. The finish on the bitter end and long. Again, it has that juniper freshness that gin has in between breathís which is unique. Itís almost as a cough drop vapor thing. Not that noticeable, but I pick up on it. Iím a novice to the style. Will admit, itís not really my bag. I was objective. It hits marks in the categories, will I say itís enjoyable? It is if you like things like Doppelbocks, Eisbocks, Grand Marnier, and such. Closest thing I can compare it to is Uerige Alt. Not for me, but probably the easiest find to cross of the elusive Sahti.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerfest5 (1147) - Dublin, IRELAND - JAN 14, 2014
Not my thing at all, kind of doppelbock-like. Way too sweet malty for my taste, and the juniper makes the malts seem even sweeter. Not a drain pour because I can still appreciate something that might not be my cup of tea, but I wont be coming back to Sahtiís any time soon.