overall

RATINGS: 291   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This ancient Finnish-style brew dates back to the 1500s as one of the oldest continuously brewed styles. Deep amber in color, this rugged brewís distinctive aroma and flavor comes from aging on a bed of juniper berries. The herbal, woodsy, and ripe citrus character of the juniper enlivens a sturdy and smooth malt backbone for a fresh and flavorful brew. At Samuel Adams we love experimenting, This series of limited edition brews represents some of our favorite small batch creations.

cooplander's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cooplander (543) - Florida, USA - MAR 19, 2013
amber color, aroma of caramel, sweet malt, slight dark fruits, same flavors, interesting brew

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zizzybalubba (1317) - Elizabeth City, North Carolina, USA - APR 18, 2014
22 oz. bottle from SoHo Organic Market, Elizabeth City, NC (Batch 1 which I am estimating to be approximately 2 years old at this point. Since the bottle suggests it can be aged I am going to proceed with a review of this one.) Dark brackish orange pour with a frothy off-white head. Juniper and brown sugar are at the forefront of the aroma. The flavor offers some wood, plenty of fruit (dates, raisin, orange peel), and a generous amount of toffee and brown sugar. It reminds me of a dubbel if I had to pick a style it most resembles (although the fruit, oak, and alcohol are much more present). Not sure how this was fresh or how it compares to other beers in this style, but I will likely try to seek more out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hockeybeerguy (910) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - MAR 24, 2014
Reviewed from notes. The appearance was a dark red/brown body that gives an awesome foamy white one finger head. Some ringy lacing is left here and there. The smell seemed a bit complicated (wishing I bought another one to age and possibly see if any other smells develop). However, I do smell some honey and malty citrus aspects going on. As the beer warms, there is some syrupy/molassess thing going on - pretty good. The taste was about the same smells combined very nicely in the taste. I do notice the juniperberries as the beer warms. Thereís a slight weird resemblance to a scotch ale. The palate sat about a medium with some sharpness coming through here and there, but nothing bothersome. The alcohol is well hidden and makes the beer fairly drinkable. Overall, ok, so I like this beer (good appearance, good smells, decent taste and a pretty good mouthfeel) but I have nothing to judge it on. Iím pretty sure Iíd have it again, but probably next time Iíd buy two of them just so I can age one and taste one fairly immediately. In the meantime, Iím most likely going to seek out some other Sahtis just to compare.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DuffMan (6164) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 28, 2014
Bottle, shared with Parksy and Grippitis. Dark amber with golden highlights, clear, with a dense white head. Sweet caramel aroma, tea-like undertones. Flavours of caramel and an odd but agreeable sweet herbal character, like new spring spruce tips, maybe some clover, hard to sort out definitively. Medium bodied, quick finish. Interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
VTHopHead (1505) - Barre, Vermont, USA - FEB 16, 2014
22oz bottle - Pours a slightly reddish and darker amber in color with an off-white head that faded to a thin covering over the beer. Aroma is pretty sweet with some citrus hops and the juniper berries present. Flavor is way too sweet for me and heavy on the spices. Some lingering bitterness either from the hops or the spices... not my favorite.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DandyWolfFloyd (620) - Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 31, 2014
Aroma - aroma has sweet malts a sort of Grand Marnier about it. Doppelbock in nature as well. Some caramel must be present. Appearance - color is deep dark amber, clear, with a white head that crashes fast into a just a small halo Taste - itís sort of like doppelbocks and eisbocks Iíve had. In that itís sweet in that rich malt way. Itís got a little bitter as well. There is a somewhat freshening note as well that comes around kind of in-between your breathing - that must be the juniper, I only pick it up probably because I regularly enjoy gin & tonics and I recognize the juniper from that. Itís not overly noticeable you really have to feel it. Palate - the body is medium, the texture slick and thick. The carbonation is average. The finish on the bitter end and long. Again, it has that juniper freshness that gin has in between breathís which is unique. Itís almost as a cough drop vapor thing. Not that noticeable, but I pick up on it. Iím a novice to the style. Will admit, itís not really my bag. I was objective. It hits marks in the categories, will I say itís enjoyable? It is if you like things like Doppelbocks, Eisbocks, Grand Marnier, and such. Closest thing I can compare it to is Uerige Alt. Not for me, but probably the easiest find to cross of the elusive Sahti.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerfest5 (1064) - Dublin, IRELAND - JAN 14, 2014
Not my thing at all, kind of doppelbock-like. Way too sweet malty for my taste, and the juniper makes the malts seem even sweeter. Not a drain pour because I can still appreciate something that might not be my cup of tea, but I wont be coming back to Sahtiís any time soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jkwalking05 (3502) - Arlington, Texas, USA - DEC 31, 2013
(Backlog) Bottle. Clear, light tan head, amber colored. The smell is muddy, earthy, fruits, herbal, and good. The taste is fruits, herbal, earth, slight sweetness, and ok.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thorongil2 (1078) - , Ontario, CANADA - DEC 2, 2013
(bottle) (batch #1) clear amber colour with a small brown head; aromas start with stewed fruit, brown sugar, then herbs; silky palate; balanced flavour with no finish

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
seymour (1320) - Maplewood, Missouri, USA - NOV 20, 2013
Tasted from tall brown bottle into standard pint glass. It poured a clear deep reddish brown color with beige foam, lasting with lace. Aromas of caramelly malt, ale yeast esters, faint hops, subtly spicy evergreen resin juniper essence. Malty sweet flavor, pilsner and caramel, nice rye bite, more juniper tartness. Medium body and carbonation, well-rounded mouthfeel, sticky aftertaste, warming alcohol. I understand the concessions they made, but this was no closer to a true Sahti than New Belgiumís version. Lacked the no-boil turbidity and bakers yeast haze, cheated with hops, etc. Overall impression was that of a weaker, resin-ier Abbey Dubbel. Pretty tasty and interesting, but I wanted to like it more than I did.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
esjaygee (3903) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 18, 2013
Ruby amber with a moderately dissipating medium beige head. Aroma is rich and spicy with caramel, odd spices, citrus and mild fruit. Taste is of heavy spices and caramel with cedar, citrus, juniper and honey. Sweet, malty and a tad cloying