overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 2654   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The first thing you notice when pouring a glass of this seasonal beer is the color. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest has a rich, deep golden amber hue which itself is reflective of the season. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest is a malt lover’s dream, masterfully blending together four roasts of barley to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee. The beer is kept from being overly sweet by the elegant bitterness imparted by the German Noble hops. Samuel Adams® Octoberfest provides a wonderful transition from the lighter beers of summer to the winter’s heartier brews.
Beer vintage abv varies from 5.0% to 5.5%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Not a bad beer. Good effort SA. Offwhite medium head moslty diminishing on a mahogany colored body. Nice malty aroma. Taste is fairly sweet and roasty with a little bite in the finish. Easy drinking beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - OCT 14, 2003
Orangish color with little head or carbonation. What's up with october beers having no carbonation? Sugary malts. Sort of watery. Slight hops in the middle, with a dry finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2003
I am a big Sam Adams fan so when I picked up a six pack of this beer I was very excited. I felt a little bit let down by the flavor but I did have extremely high expectations. When I poured this beer into a glass the first thing I noticed was that it developed a foamy off-white head that left a little bit of lace and rested on top of the lightly carbonated clear amber liquid. If you let this beer go flat it could be confused with iced tea. I didn't taste any off flavors or bitterness but I am not very familiar with the Oktoberfest style and I am assuming that the unfamiliar flavor that I experienced was the caramel malt. I liked it but didn't fall completely in love. I like the bottle label for its Halloween color scheme. If it was the middle of the summer and I saw a six pack of this beer sitting on the shelf I could easily pass it up but when next Autumn roles around I will be looking forward to picking up a case of Sam Adams OctoberFest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 12, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2006 If A-B were to make an Oktoberfest, this is what it would be. Simple, sweet, and easy to drink. Caramel malt, floral hops, decent bitter finish, but nothing special. // Rerated October 2006 ... not better. Still wonderful color, this timed draft with almost no head, chalky mouth feel, and just not an Oktoberfest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jfm (1724) - Holbæk, DENMARK - OCT 12, 2003
Amber color with a decent white head. The taste is malts with notes of caramel. Nicely balanced hoppy finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
beastdog75 (363) - Brick, New Jersey, USA - OCT 11, 2003
Decent beer, but not quite as exciting as some of the other Sam Adams brews. Heavily relies on caraml malt flavor, and the hop bitterness is nowhere near as pronounced as some of the other Sams. Quite easy to drink, however.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zach8270 (4022) - Henrietta, New York, USA - OCT 10, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2008 [bottle] Rich hops and malt smell. Pours a rich coppery color with a thin but inviting looking head. Gives an instant sweet taste that goes down smooth and leaves very slight aftertaste. A good darker beer. Possibly one of the better American Oktoberfests you will find on the market. Very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBrian (2) - Burlington, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 9, 2003 does not count
I look forward to this coming out every year, by far the best octoberfest I've had to date, Dark though very easy to drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - OCT 9, 2003
Fairly good beer, but too heavily sweet for me. I'm not an expert on Oktoberfest beers, so I can't comment further.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheBeerGod (5854) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - OCT 7, 2003
Had this on tap while at the Tage Inn in Boston. Deep copper with a small tan head. Nose has light hops and definite malt character. Some very light spice as well. Taste expanded on this - light hops that were noticeable but not dominant, definite spiced malt that was uncomplex but pleasant. Finished with some hop and malt sweetness. Not bad!