overall

RATINGS: 1415   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Spicy and bold, a big Christmas cookie of a beer. Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale is bursting with spices of the season. With a remarkably full body and flavor it helps those long winter nights pass more quickly. The rich taste hits the palate with a depth of malt character ranging from sweet toffee and caramel notes to dark, roasty chocolate notes. Then the spices come in full force. Cinnamon, ginger and orange peel dance on the tongue bringing with them the celebratory spirit of the season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 19, 2002
Dark burnt malts predominate. I taste cherries and some dark fruits in this. Not nearly as spicy as the description would suggest, certainly not very much in the way of cinammon. Interesting combo of fruit and dark malts. Pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ARMed (597) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 19, 2002
A good winter beer but just a little too tart for me. The color is excellent (deep brownish red - rust color). Looks like a very nice mahogany varish. The lacing is also very good. The taste is spicy and rich flavored but the palate is poor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
I love the seasonal beers and this is about my favorite. I love the cinnamon flavor combined with the dark malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DEbeer (192) - West Virginia, USA - DEC 17, 2002
This isn’t a bad beer at all, but I really don’t like Christmas- tasting beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Rib Eye (147) - USA - DEC 16, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2003 No cinnamon and only the barest suggestion of any citrus on the finish. Otherwise just an overly heavy decently malted porter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
uhorpheus (215) - houston, Texas, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Decent stuff. I can taste the ginger but no cinnamon or orange. Not much aroma, nice abiding head, rich brown color. Good flavor, but a little darker than I expected from the label. Good but not nearly as flavorful and rich as I wanted.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Nuffield (3657) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 14, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2004 A friend, passing me half of his bottle poured into a glass, read something to me that suggested I would find ginger, orange, and one other thing (nutmeg?) in this. Did I? No. That's not to say this isn't flavorful, because it is. Actually, tons of flavor. But as I drank it, this beer degraded incredibly into coca-cola. I don't know what happened. From interesting complexities of aroma and flavor to a pale knockoff of Coke. So sad.... Re-rated February 2004: same reactino--some initially interesting flavors produced by abundent maltiness, but found it sickly sweet after half a bottle, and failed to produced the expected dimensionality.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Suttree (5013) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 13, 2002
Very impressive. Rich aromas, and flavors of chocolate, cinnamon, maybe even a little orange. Available only in the Holiday pack.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - DEC 12, 2002
(Initial rating: 6Dec2002--bottle) Interesting beer; has strengths and weaknesses. A beautiful beer; deep red, with a frothy, persistent, and lacy head. Perfect effervescence. An equally nice aroma. I swore that it smelled creamy! As soon as the beer hit my tongue, however, things deteriorated. The beer is not extreme in any of its flavors. Medium malt, alcohol, and bitterness. Well-balanced, but I couldn’t get past the pervasive citric sourness. Like an unripe grapefruit. The mouthfeel was thin; disappointing for my expectations. Summary: nothing special.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 12, 2002
Dark amber brown/mohagony solor topped by a medium thick head and decent lace. Sweet malty aroma with accents of spices and oranges. Slightly sweet malt flavor with hints of chocolate/coffee and caramel and a small touch of spice. heavy bodied, yet easy to drink